Well, this intellectually very cool and no doubt will make a DCT shift (coordinate both clutches and engine) really nice -- as long as I can turn it off when I want it so shift like a lightning bolt ;-)

---

FORD BLENDS MATH, CREATIVE THINKING, COMPUTING POWER TO BRING SUPERIOR SHIFT QUALITY TO FOCUS

• 2012 Ford Focus, featuring a 2.0-liter direct-injection gasoline engine and PowerShift dry-clutch six-speed automatic transmission, incorporates Ford’s patented Torque Hole Filling (THF) technology for smoother, more seamless shift quality
  • THF uses a combination of mathematical modeling and computer-aided engineering tools, along with other enabling transmission technologies to deliver smoother upshifts
  • Originally penned in 1986, the Ford-developed THF invention disclosure came to fruition as computing power and transmission technologies caught up with the pioneering idea
  • In internal evaluations, THF improved shift quality ratings by up to 2 points (out of 10) in comparison to baseline shifts with conventional controls
More...

---

I can see this technology also being used on hi-po apps (there's a lot of high end machines running DCTs) to manage shift turque in turns for reduced traction-loss and faster, more-agile handling by using yaw, steering wheel and acccelerator input (driver intent) and in/outside wheel differential speed to keep traction across the shift within observed wheel-slip and driver intent in real-time (across the brief shift interval). Different application/algorythmic goals using essentially the same technology. Coupled with traction-control it could be a powerful tool to help the novice road-racer off the hay-bales -- but I dream.