Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobile Magazine Review of the 2013 GT500

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Automobile Magazine Review of the 2013 GT500

http://m.automobilemag.com/reviews/d...est/index.html

"The GT500, on the other hand, has one purpose: to go fast. The Shelby can hit 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and blow through the quarter-mile in 11.7 seconds at 125 mph, and it's got the most powerful series-production V-8 ever. Yep, the 2013 Shelby GT500 is the biggest, baddest bragging machine this side of a Chevy Corvette ZR1 or an SRT Viper -- especially since it costs less than either and has more horsepower than both."

"What the GT500 is capable of is 200 mph for $55,000. In that regard, it's unquestionably in a class of one. Ford feels that the Shelby GT500 doesn't compete in any way with the Boss 302, despite the fact that they're both Mustangs. We agree, because as sophisticated and well-rounded as the Boss is, the GT500 is equally muscle-car brash. It's neither rewarding nor particularly involving, but it's unbelievably fast. If cheap speed is your thing, boy, does Ford have a Mustang for you."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Automobile Magazine Review of the 2013 GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    http://m.automobilemag.com/reviews/d...est/index.html

"The GT500, on the other hand, has one purpose: to go fast. The Shelby can hit 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and blow through the quarter-mile in 11.7 seconds at 125 mph, and it's got the most powerful series-production V-8 ever. Yep, the 2013 Shelby GT500 is the biggest, baddest bragging machine this side of a Chevy Corvette ZR1 or an SRT Viper -- especially since it costs less than either and has more horsepower than both."

"What the GT500 is capable of is 200 mph for $55,000. In that regard, it's unquestionably in a class of one. Ford feels that the Shelby GT500 doesn't compete in any way with the Boss 302, despite the fact that they're both Mustangs. We agree, because as sophisticated and well-rounded as the Boss is, the GT500 is equally muscle-car brash. It's neither rewarding nor particularly involving, but it's unbelievably fast. If cheap speed is your thing, boy, does Ford have a Mustang for you."
    I hope Ford didn't have to give them the secret code manual to figure this out -- it's not a Porche ...they make like that's a bad thing. -lol
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Tactics Junkie on Steroids CH53Driver's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some people will just never understand the KISS principle.
    2015 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4 w/2.7EB in Magnetic

20xx GT350?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is how much they just don't get it: all the black text below is theirs ...not selected quotes ...all contiguous paragraphs as written(my comments in blue):

SVT engineers assured us that the extra coolers are only necessary for serious track use (Ford specifically said 'any reasonably competant driver who will track it will want the TrakPak -- that's a decidely lower threshold than "serious track use")-- for which the GT500's 15.8-gallon fuel tank might be slightly undersized. On a road course, the monster V-8 will suck the tank dry in just over twenty minutes. If that seems fast, then ponder this: at top speed, the upgraded injectors will spray enough fuel into the cylinders to empty the tank in just thirteen minutes. (and their point is what? -doh! )

Make that thirteen very hard-core minutes. From behind the wheel, there's nothing delicate about the GT500 -- each and every one of the controls is heavy, and despite the addition of an over-center spring, the clutch pedal is monumentally stiff. The shifter is slightly lighter than before thanks to longer throws, but it still requires a hefty shove, and the robust six-speed manual gearbox penalizes rushed shifts with a grind. (and their point is what? ...wow -- even managed to get left-hand digs in on the shifter 'complement' ...dude, eat your friggin' wheaties! )

The Recaro seats are comfortable and extra-grippy, thanks to new Alcantara bolsters (OMG an actual unmiitigated compliment? -- nah ...here's the "but," in their mind anyway -lol =>), but the Shelby's interior is dominated by the sound of the engine -- it's as if the NVH experts at Ford added in an extra dose of each, all of them rough, gruff, hoary, and tough. The GT500's shifter vibrates in your hand, and the engine's immense mechanical noise is drowned out by a thunderous roar from the quad exhaust tips. Even when you're cruising on the highway in top gear, with the engine barely above idle, the booming exhaust note means you won't forget what this car is capable of. (...and there's something bad about any of that? )

[paragraph George already posted was here]

Surprisingly, we liked the convertible better, even though it's limited to 155 mph (not! 168 last I looked), because with the top down you can clearly hear the supercharger screaming, and the brutal exhaust note combines with the rushing wind to mute all of the engine's harshness. (that mechanical music is harshness? blimey, pass the crumpets, mate :) Best of all, the droptop's dramatically softer suspension allows the big Mustang's front end to rear up under acceleration, which makes the GT500 feel even faster and more extreme. (yeah, that's why I'd buy a vert ) Let's be honest -- you're not going to drive a car with a live rear axle at 200 mph. (...really? ...'cause if it had IRS it's be so much more stable in a straight line? ) We certainly didn't.(well, I rest my case! ) So get the convertible, lower the top, press the button to put the shocks in soft mode (...apparently continuing their flawless logic ), and go a summer evening cruise in the fastest car in town. (riiiight -- because all that a $55K car that will whip $150K cars is good for is cruising the boulevard while whishing it was a Porsche? Not!! ...simply clueless)

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in the post above Danny boy!!
    Stangs United: We Have More Horsepower Than You

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My thoughts exactly Dan as I was reading this review.....what a wimp, plus they just don't understand or appreciate what a true muscle car is. The fact is what Ford has achieved at this price point is unheard of in the automotive world and it bothers the hell out of the snobby "establishment". They try to disguise their snobbery but it is glaringly there even though they are amazed by this car and what Ford has achieved with it.

They are kind of pathetic if you ask me but I guess they can't help it, after all they've been fed a steady diet of Europe/Japan are superior and nothing that good can come from America..... If you really think about and are honest in your evaluation of it, given the cost of this car and it's capability's the 2013GT500 is unmatched in the world. I'm not saying there aren't equal or better 4 seat performance cars out there but you'd have to spend at least twice as much and in some cases three or four times as much as the 13' GT500 to get one.....and that sticks in their pompous craw big time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    .....and that sticks in their pompous craw big time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...exactly, George ...they're pompous wimps

...and, once again, Joe read my mind.
    68fastback™ ;-)

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
    Isn't that one of the signs of the apocolypse??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
    ...exactly, George ...they're pompous wimps

Did they have George driving their test car?

Thread Information