Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: TG's F250-F350-F450 Diesel Arrival Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: TG's F250-F350-F450 Diesel Arrival Thread

68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Club Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

sure TG thanks.
    Need filter also.

Club Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I have 60,000 miles on my truck so far. Been coast to coast twice. Seen many friends along the way. Truck has been reliable so far. Couple recalls but nothing serious. The truck loves to tow my trailer. I sure do like the new trucks but not going to be able to get the wife to pay for it.

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

We are at 50K. Warranty runs out around Jan 2020 so not sure how long after that we will keep it. Haven’t really needed a truck in a while and if I stop going to the track won’t need it at all. Haven’t been to the track since last May because work has been so slow.

Club Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

With tax refunds coming soon there will be lots of work coming up. Maybe take less vacations to exotic places

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    We are at 50K. Warranty runs out around Jan 2020 so not sure how long after that we will keep it. Haven’t really needed a truck in a while and if I stop going to the track won’t need it at all. Haven’t been to the track since last May because work has been so slow.

We’ll still have the truck 3 years later… and out of warranty. Found out it had a TSB for a software upgrade almost 7 years ago that we were never told about. It cause the valves and seals in the left cylinder head to need replacing.

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Here’s its current state. :(

Bill is going to be around $7700.

image_1.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

TSBs are different from recalls. Recalls are "push" - they happen at the federal level and the NHTSA sends a letter to the current owner of every vehicle affected. Recalls are for safety, TSBs for annoying inconveniences...

TSBs are "pull". If you report a problem and there is a cause and fix, you'll get the repair. But there is no overt notification of that to you.

I recently had an experience with our Honda CRV. It had always been a rough idle, especially after it warmed up and was in gear, like at a stop light. Problem didn't happen in neutral or with slight nudge of accelerator. Well, it started getting a little more obnoxious - my wife cared more than I - so she went online and found there was a TSB. (TSB actually listed three engine speeds where it happened, idle, 2K rpm and something higher still, each with progressively complicated repairs.) Now the car is a 2015 so out of warranty. I talked to the dealer and identified the TSB as addressing an issue we had (<26K miles) and asked about the process for out of warranty adjustments. In our case the TSB called for new mounts for the transmission and the radiator as the engine excited a resonance at idle. I told them that I knew the difference between a TSB and recall but also mentioned that the TSB cover letter said the problem existed with virtually EVERY car made in a certain time frame. The cover letter said that dealers should reach out to owners WHEN THEY COME IN WITH ANY OTHER PROBLEM and do the TSB. I reminded him that the car was so **** reliable that we never had to have a single warranty adjustment and that the major services at 30K miles were not due yet since it's a low mileage example.

The service manager agreed to look at the car and did a software update which was part of a second TSB that I think raised the idle speed (and thus reduces gas mileage) but the vibration is gone.

We were not charged.

Dealer gets a kudo.

Message is that you should push the issue up the chain to the district service manager. Tell him that the excuse that it was a TSB and that you had to search out a problem that didn't even have symptoms until it was too late is no excuse for the dealer not to reach out to owners and tell them of impending doom... They might not cover it all but might agree to a split...

Good luck.

(As a side, the Ford GT had a major TSB that did affect EVERY CAR. The transaxle shaft bolts would (not could) shear. At any time. At any place. Just sitting still or going 75 on the freeway. I never understood why it wasn't a recall but it was only a TSB - it seems to me that disconnecting a drive shaft at high speed has some safety implications... Now there are owners that, because it wasn't a recall, are having failures and the parts are no longer available from Ford. Fortunately another company made an improved version that is still available. But the only way you know about it is from the forum.

PS. It was hinted that part of the Ford GT advanced tech training was for the tech to be on the alert for FGT TSBs and advise the service manager to reach out to their customers to have them done. Essentially a dealer driven recall. Why that isn't standard practice for all dealers I don't know. Oh, I do. It saves them money. Sometimes it truly isn't an issue if you don't have the problem, but after a certain time it is predictable if it is a latent defect and will happen anyway.
    Cheers.
    Tony

Nothing here yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

PS. I can't imagine finding all of the bolts and wires to disconnect to raise the body off the frame.

Worse than that I can't imagine finding all of them to put back!!!

When I pulled the dash off my truck I was careful to put a piece of blue tape that identified all of the electrical connectors so I knew everything was reconnected when all the tape was gone...

Bolts and screws I put in baggies with blue tape on both sides (but for some that were batches only one baggie). I found that easier than trying to take pictures of everything.

PS. Did you ever notice that electrical connectors are never used twice? If you have a connector there will be a mating one nearby. (It's not to say that a connector might not be used elsewhere, just not nearby enough to connect the wrong pair.) The thing I don't like is that the "keeper" latch system isn't universal and sometimes finding one let alone the magic twists to release it are not obvious. You will never need to force something to release them so just keep looking :)
    Cheers.
    Tony

Nothing here yet.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread Information