Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Shelby GT500 -- Sweet!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: 2020 Shelby GT500 -- Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    Fact check: has more than two steering and suspension modes.

My ‘15 has three steering modes and four suspension modes.

Normal, sport, wet/snow, track
    lol ....yeah, I think GT500 will have 5 (? I forget -- normal, sport, track, weather, ?) driving modes but GT350 has only 2 steering, 2 suspension and 2 exhaust choices and they're independently button-selectable -- i.e. not tied to a 'drive mode' so I was just mentioning it because it's nice to have those three sets of choices on discrete buttons so they can be combined however you like vs combinations packaged into 'drive modes.' Yeah, MGT has more modes/choices than the GT350 for sure.
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Club Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Re: 2020 Shelby GT500 -- Sweet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
    Well, you'll just have to sell the one you have first, Art!
    Now you know I can't do that. I still remember what it took just to get one. Those were crazy times. It's what brought us all together.

Club Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Re: 2020 Shelby GT500 -- Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
    lol ....yeah, I think GT500 will have 5 (? I forget -- normal, sport, track, weather, ?) driving modes but GT350 has only 2 steering, 2 suspension and 2 exhaust choices and they're independently button-selectable -- i.e. not tied to a 'drive mode' so I was just mentioning it because it's nice to have those three sets of choices on discrete buttons so they can be combined however you like vs combinations packaged into 'drive modes.' Yeah, MGT has more modes/choices than the GT350 for sure.
    I love the 07's it had two modes. ON and Off.

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    Now you know I can't do that. I still remember what it took just to get one. Those were crazy times. It's what brought us all together.

You held the gun and she handed over the money?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    It sure did ...hard to believe it's like 13 years now across a couple of sites.
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some bits on the GT500 starting to emerge ...these based on Dan Pund meeting with various Ford folks. You already know about tires (305/315 30s, w/ Mich. 4Ss stock and Cup-2s optional TP) and wheels (lightweight alloy stock 20s and super light CF TrackPack 20s identical to GT350 CF 19s in weight!) so I'll focus on what's new and sort of new -lol:

A-pillar-back, Pund says same as GT350 (TrackPack spoiler notwithstanding) but I"d bet with retuned suspension and some upgraded bits: IRS bushings (and I'd bet roll-bars and springs and many other aero tweaks too besides optional GT4 spoiler).

A-pillar forward totally different than GT350: molded composite sheet fenders (0.4" wider to house 20" tires which are a result of front 16.5 discs w/6-piston, 14.6 w/ 4-piston in back) and huge hood vent (which comes with removeable rain tray for street use or max track heat extraction and aero/downforce with it removed) -- no mention of hood material (maybe alloy like GT350?). Also, uses modified front geometry similar to the GT350-unique bits but it's modified to eliminate the GT350s tendency to tramline on wear-patterned roads (reducing GT350's high neg. camber a bit and dialing back some toe-in helps on the GT350 ...yes, I've driven it both ways) but nice that Ford has now dialed it out altogether with an engineered design change.

He also believes the GT350 will get that improved geometry -- does he know something no one else does about continued GT350 production concurrent with GT500 or is he just assuming? Ford has made no mention of '19 GT350 getting such tweaks (tho base has picked up much of the Rs tweaks). Then again, Ford has NOT said 2019 was the last year for GT350. Maybe the switch in nomenclature to "2020" GT500, which was previously called a "2019 GT500" and which would permit GT350 to carry-over into limited '20 production wither overlapped or not overlapped with GT500 (e.g. actual production of '20 GT350 June/19 -> ??/19 and -20 GT500 production from ??/19 -> on. Or maybe Ford re-negotiated w/ Shelby folks to have both in production simultaneously (something Ford has said in the past it will not do). Moving on -lol ...

GT500 gets a light-weight engineered magnesium lattice strut tower brace. It has all the coolers (oil, trans, diff) you would expect (he neglected to actually mention diff, surely an oversight) with engine cooling capacity considerably more than GT350, for obvious reasons, and that very visible top-of-SC intercooler. I'm assuming it also gets CF composite radiator support/shroud like the GT350 but there was no mention of that.

Pund says SC is Eaton 2.7L (actually the Eaton 2650cc rotor pack) and is identical to unit in the Corvette ZR1 (actually only the rotor pack is, I think). He speaks of it as if Eaton is making it for Ford. Historically Eaton only supplied the Rotor Pack but has not actually made the SC (Roush did for Ford in the past). Possibly because he believes it's "identical" to the ZR1 he claims it provides 12psi boost -- he may be supposing on that b/c he doesn't quote a Ford source, but 12# does seem about right. One thing is for sure: there is much more available with simple mods.

He claims the 5.2 is a strengthened 5.2 voodoo sans FPC and while that's sort of right it might be a misleading statement. While both have the same BxS (94x93mm, as I recall), the GT350 uses a modified gen-2 Coyote with a FPC. The GT500 uses a gen-3 Coyote with CPC -- gen-3 being much-strengthened over the gen-2 block, so that may be what he's referring to. GT500 also gets a structural cast aluminum oil pan (GT350 has composite/plastic) well-baffled and with hinged oil baffles that Ford's Krenz says provides for sustained track use with no need for dry sump system. It doesn't look like the pan on the Ken Block's 900HP 'hoonitruck' shown just weeks ago (I checked) that has some sort of Coyote derivative with extended block skirt and a near-zero vertical dimension oil pan -- possibly that one IS a dry sump.

Pund says Ford says the Tremec 7-spd DCT is GT500-specifc and that not only are the 100ms shifts faster than the ZL1 by a good 50ms but also, in drag mode, the DCT is managed for NOgap in torque (ah, the wonders of a DCT vs a 10-speed hydraulic automatic ). So that right there is 0.15 off ET (assuming 3 shifts in 1/4 w/ 3.73s) and with zero torque gap it should be considerably better than that, just on trans alone ...could be near a quarter-sec altogether, imo -- huge!

All said, Pund feels that Ford's mid-3 0-60 and sub-11 1/4s claims are conservative figures. If you follow him you know he's a Dodge guy through and through but he thinks the GT500 will be a half-second quicker than the ZL1 and will "trounce the Hellcat. Yes, even the 797HP Hellcat Redeye Widebody." Dunno where he gets that from (not attributed to Ford) nor does he comment on precisely how he got there. Yes, the Hellcat is porky but 797HP is formidable and I doubt there will be much more than a 200# difference ...and he's making that assessment based on his belief that Ford's "700+HP" will wind up being about 720. No doubt the GT500 will eat the ZL1 on both track and road course, and Dodge on the road course too but I think he's baiting somewhat on the 1/4 mile ...then again, that DCT does make a real difference (it's how those V8 BMW DCTs were embarrassing stock GT500s back in '07).

Anyhow, that's all I can recall -- with my two cents thrown in too -lol
    Last edited by 68fastback; 02-22-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: .sp and grammar, f-rotor diameter, GT350 considerations
    68fastback™ ;-)

Veritas vos Luberabit

Red is the fastest of all cars onecrazydog's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

I want a red one... Haven't seen a vert pic yet, maybe they won't make one...

I would keep my 09 and make it full race!! I couldn't afford to sell or trade it in, I would lose to much money...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...that would be awesome!!

I haven't seen a 'vert either ...and no mention that I've seen. But, who knows ...maybe outyears? Might need some extra chassis rigidity mods.
    68fastback™ ;-)

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

Yes, a hard top would be lighter, great point...

Do they have glass roofs still?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

Wait, do they come in Green?

Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread Information