Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GPS devices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: GPS devices

Quote Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
    I'm tired of lawmakers trying to legislate everything in the name of "safety". Almost everything we do has potentially deadly consequences if we make a mistake. Act negligently and hurt someone - there are punishments for that. But stop trying to baby-proof everything.

I can change the stations on the radio and run off the road just as easily as I can if I was texting. Both are dumb - but only one thing is usually "illegal". I don't see anyone screaming for car makers to take away the ability to change channels or FF the CD (or playlist on your iPod) like they are with phones. Educate and punish people if they hurt others - otherwise get outta my life!

(these are usually the same busybodies who think no one should have a gun because of the .000001% of legal gun owners who hurt others on purpose. Again, make laws to punish the bad guys - not to punish good people who aren't breaking the law. )

Exactly!!
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

So if we should just “educate and punish” those who don’t do what they are taught, why have drunk driving laws? (Or other laws)

Shouldn’t we just tell everyone it’s bad when they are young (educate) and then when they kill someone while drunk give them 30 days in jail (punish)?

And I wasn’t saying politicians should make a law to keep phones from working in a drivers seat, just saying we have the technology that manufacturers should offer it.

They have ways of stopping phone service in buildings (heard of churches using this) so it’s not that different other than limiting the area (drivers seat).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's the 50 mile-wide 'fine' line

I agree that options (vs laws) are generally preferable. Maybe if someone is caught texting while driving then they must equip their car (at their expense) with a device to prevent THEM from doing such ...sort of like DWIs with breath-test in steering column. That's much preferable to hobbling function for everyone else with narrow-focused laws that seem to inevitably create more problems than they solve.

However, we are a nation of laws and there will always be those who want to codify everything in law. Imo, we don't need laws on top of laws on top of laws -- we already have laws that cover everything ...and then some -lol In my mind it's fine to codify what constitutes bad behavior and to establish penalties for that behavior but we don't need to codify how things (vs people) MUST/MUST NOT WORK such that we remove self-direction and functional selection from people of good judgement in order to attempt to prevent people of bad judgement from being bad (e.g. wrong to take away all guns b/c some morons abuse them) because in doing so we trample the rights of tohers in one way or another. I think that's where Joe was coming from.

Another way to look at it might be that there is (or eventually will be) one or many azzhat(s) walking the face of the earth who eventually will do everything that is considered wrong/bad/illegal but that doesn't mean all objects of the world should be made to implement azzhat-prevention at the expense of everyone else's freedoms to choose, create and pursue happiness. I think the difficulty comes about when a bad behavior becomes widespread enough such that that behavior itself significantly eclipses other fundamental rights or freedoms ...a repeat murderer must be prevented forcibly (incarcerated or terminated) but does that mean that any objects routinely used to murder should be made illegal or non functional: only have dull non-pointed knives be legal, only have hammers under 3 oz. be legal, only have cars that can't go faster than old people can run?

This is why the founders held three rights as inalienable in the Declaration of Independence: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. There are no easy answers to some of todays dilemmas but the founders sure gave us an extraordinary document from which our form of government and its rules flow ...the Constitution. They were also very wise to specifically EXCLUDE ALL POWERS FROM GOVERNMENT that are not specifically given by the Constitution (with all its amendments). The founders also stated in the preamble lest we should not the priorities and fundamental purpose of the Constitution:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure Domestic Tranquility provide for the common Defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Restrict those who abuse their rights? No prob. Restrict those who haven't abused for the purpose of preventing those who might? Prob.

Of course it's not al that black and white in applying it, but the principles are clear -- and that is specifically why we have SCOTUS at the top of justice system ...to rule only on those Constitutional issues not adequately rendered explicit by the lower federal and appellate courts. No mean feat these days!
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

Veritas vos Luberabit

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Going to take me three days to read that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't bother ...not much there anyway ...hard topic to put into words ...it's far more complex than my thoughts might suggest.
    68fastback™ ;-)

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    So if we should just “educate and punish” those who don’t do what they are taught, why have drunk driving laws? (Or other laws)

Shouldn’t we just tell everyone it’s bad when they are young (educate) and then when they kill someone while drunk give them 30 days in jail (punish)?

And I wasn’t saying politicians should make a law to keep phones from working in a drivers seat, just saying we have the technology that manufacturers should offer it.

They have ways of stopping phone service in buildings (heard of churches using this) so it’s not that different other than limiting the area (drivers seat).

Laws are good. Break them = punishment.

You tried to suggest that because we have ways to block someone from making a call or texting, that it should be be used. There are many legitimate reasons to use a phone while driving, and as my previous post stated, doing other things (changing stations or fooling with the radio) are really no different but they're not the current Boogyman that makes people run for the nearest safe space of Gov't interference.

DUI is illegal. There are federal and state laws against it. But to equal your example of blocking phones from working in a car, we'd now have a breathalyzer hooked up to every car assuming you're guilty before you took even 1 drink. "It's for the children!!". Why not have Gov't troops on every corner to check your papers - you know, just in case you're doing something wrong. And why not let them search your house whenever they want? You know - just in case.

That's not what the Consitution is all about and I'm tired of giving up more and more of my natural rights so that Gov't can "protect" us better.
    Stangs United: We Have More Horsepower Than You

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

68fastback™ ;-)

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Build Date: 09/26/06
    Delivered Date: 10/13/06
    709 out of 2694 Convertibles
    44 out of 151 Tungsten Grey Convertibles

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

"It is not about how much money you make. The question is are you educated enough to KEEP it."

Thread Information