PDA

View Full Version : Vettes purging clutch-fluid 20 times to get it clear ...hen it's dirty again.

68fastback
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I thought this thread on the Vette forum might be of interest (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2250372-clutch-pedal-issues-how-to-prevent-and-cure-10.html) (maybe not -lol) ... some 'vette owners are purging clutch fluid with every oil change -- probably not a bad idea to do when brake fluid is purged.

Not sure how similar the clutch hydraulics are to the GT500 but I thought this was a bit unusual -- tiny specs in the fluid etc. Also dunno if clutch and brakes share same reservoir as in GT500.

Just thought there might be some interest given all the bubbles in the clutch hydraulics after TSB work etc.

Alloy Dave
07-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I thought this thread on the Vette forum might be of interest (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2250372-clutch-pedal-issues-how-to-prevent-and-cure-10.html) (maybe not -lol) ... some 'vette owners are purging clutch fluid with every oil change -- probably not a bad idea to do when brake fluid is purged.

Not sure how similar the clutch hydraulics are to the GT500 but I thought this was a bit unusual -- tiny specs in the fluid etc. Also dunno if clutch and brakes share same reservoir as in GT500.

Just thought there might be some interest given all the bubbles in the clutch hydraulics after TSB work etc.Interesting and looks like they have it mostly figured out. I can't help but think the 'white' spots some are seeing as posted are air they are introducing by pumping too fast when bleeding. The video shows the guy rapidly depressing the pedal. This may be fine if you let the car sit for awhile so air can rise out, but I prefer a much slower pumping to get a more laminar flow of the fluid and not entrap more air via a "frothing" of the fluid.

68fastback
07-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Interesting and looks like they have it mostly figured out. I can't help but think the 'white' spots some are seeing as posted are air they are introducing by pumping too fast when bleeding. The video shows the guy rapidly depressing the pedal. This may be fine if you let the car sit for awhile so air can rise out, but I prefer a much slower pumping to get a more laminar flow of the fluid and not entrap more air via a "frothing" of the fluid.

That's exactly what my first thought was too, Dave.

Could also be micro water dropplets 'condensing' out of solution as a result of the pressure changes introduced by pumping, but I wouldnt think that would happen with fresh/just-unsealed fluid. However, depending on the total volume of the system, it might be hard to purge it fast enough to prevent some residual mixing of old/new, etc., even with several purges.

I did wonder where all the 'black' could be coming from ...but that video clearly suggests clutch dust infiltrating the seal -- strange.

Now Im wondering if on a shared reservoir (like the GT500) if clutch dust can also enter the hydraulics (seems like a near identical slave servo to the GT500's) and eventually affect the brake hydraulics.

[edit:]

Adding a direct link to the video here (the thread is also itneresting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbsy0LjUvE