PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Wards Diesel shootout: Ford 6.7 wins...

68fastback
09-20-2010, 06:31 PM
SUPER DUTY’S NEW POWER STROKE DIESEL WINS TOP SPOT IN SHOOTOUT

The all-new, all-Ford 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel took top honors in Ward’s first-ever Diesel Shootout, besting the cross-town competition in a contest that included 0-60 acceleration times, 10,000-pound towing tests and climb/descent evaluations using a 20 percent grade. The Ford engine was praised for its lightweight construction, use of compacted graphite iron in the block, innovative emission controls and its “ability to squeal the tires while hauling 10,000 lbs.” Read the full article here (http://wardsauto.com/ar/ford_power_diesel_100920/).

Note: some excerpts from Wards article (above link) ...took me 20 minutes to get thru, so figured I'd excerpt some:

"But one engine proves better than the others for its lightweight construction, innovative materials, sophisticated aftertreatment, clever packaging and, yes, its ability to squeal the tires while hauling 10,000 lbs.: the Power Stroke V-8 in the Ford Super Duty.

Ford wins the first-ever Diesel Shootout with a clean-sheet engine designed in Dearborn to replace the Super Duty’s powerplant supplied for years by Navistar International Corp. That relationship ended acrimoniously in 2008, forcing Ford engineers to go it alone.

From the composite oil pan and compacted graphite iron block to the cleverly packaged small-frame dual-compressor turbocharger placed beneath the intake manifold between the cylinder banks, the new Power Stroke is a magnificent piece of machinery, arguably the finest heavy-duty pickup diesel of the modern era.

And the Power Stroke’s well-muffled NVH is apparent in recordings gathered inside the cabin. With a professional-grade microphone and audio software, we captured the soundtrack for the Best Engines Diesel Shootout.

A sound gallery is available at WardsAuto.com under the Diesel Shootout special report tab.

Listen closely for the sound of chirping tires – a testament to macho might – on the Super Duty recording during the 0-60 run, with trailer.
Ward’s evaluated the first iteration of the new Power Stroke, rated at 735 lb.-ft. (997 Nm), the same engine underhood when the redesigned Super Duty went on sale in April 2010.

Meanwhile, GM was launching its new heavy-duty pickups in July with an upgraded Duramax V-8 turbodiesel rated at 765 lb.-ft. (1,037 Nm) of torque.
Even before many GM dealers could receive their first new HD pickups, Ford delivered a crushing blow: Software tweaks enabled the Power Stroke to reach 800 lb.-ft. (1,084 Nm) of torque, a threshold never before reached in the segment.

This announcement came in early August, less than a week after the Diesel Shootout was held and a few days after Ward’s editors had chosen the winner. Even at the lower torque rating, the Power Stroke proved victorious."

VaporDude
09-20-2010, 07:10 PM
The guys at GM and Dodge have no idea.

GP500SU
09-21-2010, 02:09 AM
The guys at GM and Dodge have no idea.

I agree. I want one in a couple years after they work the bugs out. I want to see the reliability after the tow truck drivers beat the snot out of them. I hear good things so far. You gotta love that Ford is making the engine.

68fastback
09-21-2010, 03:48 AM
GM announced the engine specs on their upcoming 2011 Caprice Police interceptor Friday: special 6.0L V8 355bHP with a V6 coming in 2012. The Ford makes more power with the EB V6 and will get much better milage.

GM also anounced recently a major new plans to "relaunch the OnStar" brand as a focus for "responsible connectivity." Sound somewhat familiar? -lol When you read through the release it sounds like a "someday I wanna be like SYNC(tm) and MyFord(tm)" wishlist ...with no real specifics given. Sounding a bit scared over in Detroit? -lol

They're even mimicing Ford terminology -- seemingly to confuse folks -- by announcing a new brand for future functions called MyLink(tm) -- seemingly to deflect/confuse attention from Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln -- Ford's recently shipped all-new driver interface. GM is so far behind the curve they're seeming rather desperate. However, never underestimate the evil crosstown rival once they get back in their track shoes (if they can find them and if they still fit -lol).

VaporDude
09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree. I want one in a couple years after they work the bugs out. I want to see the reliability after the tow truck drivers beat the snot out of them. I hear good things so far. You gotta love that Ford is making the engine.

Ford has already put a lot of these trucks out to service in construction jobs. So far the last I heard, there were no complaints, only praises.

68fastback
09-21-2010, 04:44 PM
...lots of good stuff on the 2011 SuperDuty and 6.7 diesel on Ford's SuperDuty mini site (http://media.ford.com/mini_sites/10031/2011SuperDuty/). I see they haven't updated it yet to reflect 400HP/800Tq.

There's also some Ford vids on the extensive heaving-tow testing which I can't find, but this youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk1ysgy_kL0)talks about one of the programs whose first phase ended in the spring which involved many different companies who were given various 6.7 diesel rigs to beat-up for 150K miles. As I recall the program was extended to 250K miles since the 150K engine telemetrics were still reflecting negligible change in the engine.

This very-early (April) heavy-hauling Motor Trend head-to-head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvn6-NWRqvo&feature=fvw)might also be of interest.

Joe G
09-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Ford has already put a lot of these trucks out to service in construction jobs. So far the last I heard, there were no complaints, only praises.

I'd have to agree with GP. A brand new engine is bound to have issues that even the "real world" tests can't find.

Year 2 or 3 would be for me.

68fastback
09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
...dunno ...even right out of the box this engine really can't be worse than the recent Navistars -lol- they were a nightmare in terms of having problems. Contractors I know are hanging on maintaining older Fords so they can skip to the Scorpion. One friend who jumped to a Navistar along the way tell me Ford has done an admirable job of fixing problems (in spite of Navs painfull intransigence) but down time and delays just kills a contactor. I'd bet this Ford Scorpion vs the Navs is a winner from the getgo, but anything is possible, I guess. It is the most extesively tested engine in Ford's history but it also is *all* new: architecture, valvetrain, tranny, engine management ...virtually everything. If it's as trouble free as it seems it will be (so far) it's a testament to moden computer modelling and analytics for sure. We shall see.