PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Harmonic Balancer install

Birdman
05-07-2010, 12:49 AM
2008 Harmonic Balancer install

OK the first step towards the TVS install is done. I changed out the heavy 07 balancer with the new 08. Very easy to do .
After putting emergency brake on and shifter in gear, block one wheel

(1)Unbolt the two reservoir tanks and move to the side (temp tie with hose covered wire )
(2) Removed the fan assembly (2 bolts ) + wire disconnect
(3)Loosen both serpentine belts
(4) Removed OEM balancer bolt
(5)Use balancer puller/ installer tool to remove OEM one
(6)Prep new bolt & balancer with antisieze per instructions
(7) Install new 08 balancer and torque per instructions to Ford specs.
(8) reverse steps 3 to 1 finish

About 1-1/2 to 2 hrs taking you time.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z234/svtbird91/Engine%20Mods/IMG_1828colorCC.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z234/svtbird91/Engine%20Mods/IMG_1829.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z234/svtbird91/Engine%20Mods/IMG_1830.jpg

Alloy Dave
05-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Good job George. One note, you need to have a very long bolt to install. Many bolts in standard kits are not long enough. Don't want to risk only having 1-2 threads engaged on the install bolt when pulling it on, you could strip the end of the crank snout.

Johnny Dangerously
05-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Good job George. One note, you need to have a very long bolt to install. Many bolts in standard kits are not long enough. Don't want to risk only having 1-2 threads engaged on the install bolt when pulling it on, you could strip the end of the crank snout.
I agree, but how deep is the internally threaded area? And what does it back up to on the other side?

If it is a thin walled area you could blow through it.

If it is a this walled area, you could snap the bolt head off.

`

Alloy Dave
05-07-2010, 01:15 AM
I agree, but how deep is the internally threaded area? And what does it back up to on the other side?

If it is a thin walled area you could blow through it.

If it is a this walled area, you could snap the bolt head off.

`It's not thin walled, it's a solid forged piece. And as far as bottoming and breaking off, you can test the depth beforehand by threading in the bolt and seeing how far it goes. Besides, if you're turning that hard that you'd break it, I'd be thinking something's wrong by then and would stop...it shouldn't require that much force.

Birdman
05-07-2010, 01:18 AM

Thanks Dave . You are correct when you purchase the 2008 balancer you must be sure to get the correct bolt from Ford specifically made for the GT500 .

Johnny Dangerously
05-07-2010, 01:27 AM
It's not thin walled, it's a solid forged piece. And as far as bottoming and breaking off, you can test the depth beforehand by threading in the bolt and seeing how far it goes. Besides, if you're turning that hard that you'd break it, I'd be thinking something's wrong by then and would stop...it shouldn't require that much force.
I don't think that many people would even think about doing this unless they were told.

`