PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Focus N.American I-4 will be a 2.0L Direct-injection NA with TiCVT

68fastback
10-20-2010, 05:40 AM
ALL-NEW FORD FOCUS ACHIEVES FUEL EFFICIENCY WITH HIGH-TECH 2.0-LITER DIRECT-INJECTION I-4 ENGINE

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/12focusengine.jpg
The 2012 Ford Focus will be powered by a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter DOHC I-4 engine with twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT), direct gasoline injection and E85 flex fuel capability.

All-new Ford Focus will be powered by a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter DOHC I-4 engine with twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT), direct gasoline injection and E85 flex fuel capability that will deliver a projected 40 mpg highway
New 2.0-liter is one of the most powerful, fuel-efficient and refined engines in its class and one of the most advanced non-turbocharged four-cylinder powerplants Ford has ever offered
New engine reinforces Ford powertrain strategy that delivers on fuel economy leadership without sacrificing driving fun throughout its global offerings

More... (http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33438)

What makes this engine unique is that it's the very first (that I'm aware of) to violate Ford's stated position that it's not worth doing DI without also doing forced-induction. I commented about a year ago Ford would eventually change it's mind on that and this one has TiVCT as well. It apparently will be the standard engine for the North American 2012 Focus, making 160bHP and 146 lb.-ft. torque. The "global performance" Focus ST will get a 247bHP TT/EcoBoost version. ;-)

Also, the TiCVT "high-presssure oil" actuation on these engines appears to be more like the 4.6 3V and less like the 5.0L's patented cam-torque-harnessing low-energy approach which uses oil to hold the settings in place, but not to actuate cam indexing.

Interesting that Ford is using two different approaches since one DOHC V8 head is quite similar to a I-4) ...maybe one is cheaper? ...or maybe Ford is hedging on having an single implementation should one prove better? There's no mention of cam timing range on this I-4. The 5.0's cams can index +/-25* for a 50* range on both I&E. I don't recall the exact range on the 3V's SOHC-VCT but I think it was in the vicinity of 30*.

Johnny Dangerously
10-20-2010, 10:42 PM
It's funny how advances in technologies seemingly make the impossible, possible.

`

68fastback
10-21-2010, 03:05 AM
...very true, JD.

Makes me wonder when the 305HP base Mustang V6 will eventually get DI. Even with port-injection and TiVCT Ford is alredy matched with Camaro's V6 which is already DI with VVT ...both are DOHC and already have forged internals and piston-squirters. The Mustang V6 might easily see another 35 conservative factory HP (and maybe another mpg or two?) since DI is not only more precise but also helps manage piston surface temps way better than PI. Maybe the base mustang will go DI when Ford also offers the V6 EB/TT in mustang. ;-)