PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel brake lines??

Joker
11-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Those that have changed to SS lines did you really notice a difference? I have done SS lines on bikes alot of times just never on a car.

I just saw a deal on another site from a shop and it was:
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Free Motul600 Brake Fluid (with installation)

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/goodridge.jpg
http://www.precisiontuning.ca/images/motul/motul600.jpg
$290.00 Out the door

Package includes:

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines (all 4 lines)
Installation
Free Motul600 Fluid Flush

Is that a good deal and are SS lines worth it?

Gr8snkbite
11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
not a bad deal at all..considering you can only get that fluid via internet purchase. it's what i used. have blue and red to know when i've changed fluid completely. I alternate when changing. Cant say i really felt a diff with the lines, maybe TG and others that have actually tracked their cars can....but i had great stopping power and less boil of the fluid due to increased braking temps/press...

Boston Mike
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Those that have changed to SS lines did you really notice a difference? I have done SS lines on bikes alot of times just never on a car.

I just saw a deal on another site from a shop and it was:
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines + Free Motul600 Brake Fluid (with installation)

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/goodridge.jpg
http://www.precisiontuning.ca/images/motul/motul600.jpg
$290.00 Out the door

Package includes:

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines (all 4 lines)
Installation
Free Motul600 Fluid Flush

Is that a good deal and are SS lines worth it?

With installation? SOunds pretty good to me.

CH53Driver
11-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Sounds good to me.

Alloy Dave
11-13-2010, 01:25 AM
IMO the SS lines are not worth it. The benefit would be in two areas:

1) Supposedly firmer pedal feel due to less flex....I seriously doubt you'd notice a difference.
2) Longevity vs. rubber. The stock lines would likely last 15-20 years depending on weather/salt in your area and whether you garage the car.

Gr8snkbite
11-13-2010, 01:27 AM
I'd have to agree Dave, but the fluid is way better then stock....I'd at least change that....which I will in due time..

Joe G
11-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Most people who have changed to the SS lines have raved about the firmer pedal feel, so I'm not so sure Dave.

Gr8snkbite
11-13-2010, 01:34 AM
It was firmer on my 07, but not sure if it was the lines or fluid that did it...

Tommy Gun
11-13-2010, 01:47 AM
I think there is a great difference w/ SS lines.

I had them on previous vehicles.

Greatest difference was in my Jeep when I raced it.

I have them on all my 4 wheelers and on the track car and on the GT500.

Motul is the fluid I use in both cars as well.

No real need for different colors IMO since you can clearly see the fresh fluid when it comes through.

Also, you can always get extra Motul at your local Motorcycle shops.

I don't remember what I paid for my lines for the GT500, but the upgrade is worth it. IMO

I changed my fluid the other day in my workvan (I do regularly in all my vehicles) and noticed that Ford has factory SS braided lines in it. :wow2:

Alloy Dave
11-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Most people who have changed to the SS lines have raved about the firmer pedal feel, so I'm not so sure Dave.

Probably psychological.

Alloy Dave
11-13-2010, 02:38 AM
I think there is a great difference w/ SS lines.

I had them on previous vehicles.

Greatest difference was in my Jeep when I raced it.

I have them on all my 4 wheelers and on the track car and on the GT500.

Motul is the fluid I use in both cars as well.

No real need for different colors IMO since you can clearly see the fresh fluid when it comes through.

Also, you can always get extra Motul at your local Motorcycle shops.

I don't remember what I paid for my lines for the GT500, but the upgrade is worth it. IMO

I changed my fluid the other day in my workvan (I do regularly in all my vehicles) and noticed that Ford has factory SS braided lines in it. :wow2:So what is the difference?

JTB
11-13-2010, 05:29 AM
IMO the SS lines are not worth it. The benefit would be in two areas:

1) Supposedly firmer pedal feel due to less flex....I seriously doubt you'd notice a difference.
2) Longevity vs. rubber. The stock lines would likely last 15-20 years depending on weather/salt in your area and whether you garage the car.

+1

SS Lines are a must on BIKES with maybe the exception of the new ABS equipped bikes, but for a car it is not worth it, the rubber in the lines used today is extraordinary durable and you do not notice a difference with a modern car equipped with ABS Brakes, IMO.

Tommy Gun
11-13-2010, 12:25 PM
So what is the difference?

Firmer pedal, noticeable quicker stopping.

When running events in my Jeep we had the same track lay out each time.

Slowing big time in the corners made for much quicker turns (pretty tough in the sand w/ 4wd pulling.

W/ the change to SS lines I could definitely get much deeper into the corners before braking and moved up to placing 2nd and 3rd rather than just 6-7th.

W/ the 4wheelers you could definitely feel the tighter brakes.

When I changed them on the GT500 I guess it was all just psychological by then. :shades:

hellfyr
11-15-2010, 06:02 PM
You also need to be very cautious with the routing of the SS lines. Most tend to be longer than the OEM rubber lines and they end up having to be allowed to bulge in some direction for a smooth route. If not paying attention, they WILL rub on the wheels and suspension components causing them to eventually wear through. I caught mine before much damage was done (they had just worn through the plastic outer layer). I ended up securing mine to the front strut and placing a bit of extra "sleeving" over where they make contact with it. No problems since.

I didn't notice a whole lot of difference on my car, but I also haven't been back on a road course since doing it.
On the street and auto-cross they really aren't noticeable.

As for brake fluid, I use Amsoil.

Rod

Joker
11-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Good info everyone. Thanks.

Honestly I think I'm just going to swap out the fluid as it's time and leave the stock lines on for now. I have not experienced any brake fad on the track and definately not on the street.

dwattsup
11-15-2010, 09:46 PM
You also need to be very cautious with the routing of the SS lines. Most tend to be longer than the OEM rubber lines and they end up having to be allowed to bulge in some direction for a smooth route. If not paying attention, they WILL rub on the wheels and suspension components causing them to eventually wear through. I caught mine before much damage was done (they had just worn through the plastic outer layer). I ended up securing mine to the front strut and placing a bit of extra "sleeving" over where they make contact with it. No problems since.

I didn't notice a whole lot of difference on my car, but I also haven't been back on a road course since doing it.
On the street and auto-cross they really aren't noticeable.

As for brake fluid, I use Amsoil.

Rod

Good point about the rubbing. Stainless will rub through anything it comes in contact with over enough time. I was thinking about going with some stainless lines for my fuel system when I had the Whipple installed and needed to reroute the lines. My mechanic told me that it's not worth the risk of the damage it could do to anything it comes in contact with. He's seen it work through a firewall over time.

JTB
11-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Good point about the rubbing. Stainless will rub through anything it comes in contact with over enough time. I was thinking about going with some stainless lines for my fuel system when I had the Whipple installed and needed to reroute the lines. My mechanic told me that it's not worth the risk of the damage it could do to anything it comes in contact with. He's seen it work through a firewall over time.

That's extraordinary...:surprised:

Johnny Dangerously
11-15-2010, 11:03 PM
We have to be careful with that scenario on aircraft. We use a lot of SS overbraided hose near a lot of aluminum structure. (Can you say a hot knife through butter?) The hoses must be properly supported & maintain minimum clearances from everything. In areas where nothing else can be done, we wrap the hoses in a thick Teflon spiral wrap (.032") for anti-chafe protection.

`

Alloy Dave
11-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Firmer pedal, noticeable quicker stopping.

When running events in my Jeep we had the same track lay out each time.

Slowing big time in the corners made for much quicker turns (pretty tough in the sand w/ 4wd pulling.

W/ the change to SS lines I could definitely get much deeper into the corners before braking and moved up to placing 2nd and 3rd rather than just 6-7th.

W/ the 4wheelers you could definitely feel the tighter brakes.

When I changed them on the GT500 I guess it was all just psychological by then. :shades:

Sounds like you had air in the lines. :rolleyes:

Tommy Gun
11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you had air in the lines. :rolleyes:

:hey2:

...I just have stock options in SS brake line companies.