PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter cleaning?

Joker
11-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Any good info out there on cleaning the air filters? i have two that I'm about to clean and any additional input is always good. I have the SB Revitalization kit that I'm going to use.

CH53Driver
11-26-2010, 11:29 PM
What brand of filter?

Tommy Gun
11-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I just replace them. :hiding:

Joker
11-26-2010, 11:58 PM
What brand of filter?

I have one of the blue FRPP ones and a red S&B one.

CH53Driver
11-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't know about the FRPP one but if I recall right, Jay (JLT) told me to clean the filter buy taking a bucket with some warm water and a little bit of soap. Once you got it clean, rinse lightly and then you can take a air compressor and blow the excess water off then let it sit overnight to completely dry. Then take the recharge kit and lightly oil the filter element. Of course, my first filter got damaged from rubbing that I didn't catch until I removed it for cleaning so I just replaced it. In other words, never cleaned a filter yet personally.

onecrazydog
11-27-2010, 12:30 AM

Me too...

Joker
11-27-2010, 02:43 AM
I don't know about the FRPP one but if I recall right, Jay (JLT) told me to clean the filter buy taking a bucket with some warm water and a little bit of soap. Once you got it clean, rinse lightly and then you can take a air compressor and blow the excess water off then let it sit overnight to completely dry. Then take the recharge kit and lightly oil the filter element. Of course, my first filter got damaged from rubbing that I didn't catch until I removed it for cleaning so I just replaced it. In other words, never cleaned a filter yet personally.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it on my S&B filter that I'm not using first.

JTB
11-27-2010, 04:27 AM

:boink:

Land Fill Filler!

JTB
11-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Me too...

Land Fill Filler!

onecrazydog
11-27-2010, 04:52 AM

Land Fill Filler!

Someones has to do it... They arn't going to fill themselves!!

CH53Driver
11-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Someones has to do it... They arn't going to fill themselves!!

:doh2:

JTB
11-27-2010, 05:03 AM
I have two FRPP Filters and clean them regularly.

Cleaning Procedure:

1) Remove from car :doh2:

2) Give them a good blow with your air compressor from the inside out

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/JTBConsulting/SHELBY/SAM_0874.jpg

3) Run some warm water in the Laundry Room Tub with a bit of ZERO Detergent (if you have a Wifey like mine you will have to endure an occasional rant:
"The Laundry Room is not for your Motorcycle and Car Nonsense" :rollingpin:

Just carry on. :bigguy:

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/JTBConsulting/SHELBY/SAM_0873.jpg

4) Soak the filter in the warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly and then prop up in the sink and leave for a few minutes to let the excess water drain out

5) Get you compressor out again and blow off the excess water

6) If it is half decent weather put the filter outside to dry or dry it in the garage until completely dry. (several days)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/JTBConsulting/SHELBY/SAM_0868.jpg

7) Then (very lightly) spray the out side with a thin film of filter oil, with the PJ1 you filter will be red after Treatment, not the FRPP Blue.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/JTBConsulting/SHELBY/SAM_0870.jpg

8) Put the filter on a shelf in the garage for another several days and let the oil cure to the filter.

9) Install when you need it

Joker
11-28-2010, 05:17 AM
I think I have the same PJ1 oil in my garage!

Joe G
11-28-2010, 05:18 AM
I thought it was always a no-no to use a compressor to blow out the filter. :doh2:

mustang loco
11-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Love step #3 JT,:spitcopy: definately see my wife doin' the same!Thx for the info btw!

JTB
11-28-2010, 01:39 PM
I thought it was always a no-no to use a compressor to blow out the filter. :doh2:

Blowing out at 80 psi is not a good idea....

That's why you can control the pressure on most compressors.

The Bone
11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I just wash my filter in a bucket of water and some soap. No need to be to high tech. I use the K&N kit with there oil.
Just be careful not to use to much oil. Multiple coats are better than one heavy coat. let sit for a hour before giving it a second coat. The material will soak it up into the deap crevices so you dont have to worry about completely getting oil in them

Joe G
11-28-2010, 07:35 PM

That's what you can control the pressure on most compressors.

With this group, you never can tell. Better to be safe and spell it out, than be sorry when some dufus cranks the ol' Craftsman up to 150psi and does his best "Tim the toolman Taylor blow a hole through the filter" impression. :doh2:

JTB
11-28-2010, 07:50 PM
With this group, you never can tell. Better to be safe and spell it out, than be sorry when some dufus cranks the ol' Craftsman up to 150psi and does his best :monkey: impression. :doh2:

Let's hope not....

Joe G
11-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Let's hope not....

Yep... him especially. :doh2:

Alloy Dave
11-30-2010, 03:19 AM

That's what you can control the pressure on most compressors.I thought it was ok to blow them (albeit at a lower pressure such as maybe 30-40 psi), but only from the INSIDE OUT. If you blow the other way you embed the crap into the filter...bad idea.

thanks for posting...I need to do this over the winter. I think my filter is blue...you're saying the PJ1 oil is red? I would prefer red over blue...just want to make sure I get the right oil.

Thanks

Joe G
11-30-2010, 03:31 AM
thanks for posting...I need to do this over the winter. I think my filter is blue...you're saying the PJ1 oil is red? I would prefer red over blue...just want to make sure I get the right oil.

Thanks

There's red and blue oil.

JTB
11-30-2010, 03:42 AM
I thought it was ok to blow them (albeit at a lower pressure such as maybe 30-40 psi), but only from the INSIDE OUT. If you blow the other way you embed the crap into the filter...bad idea.

Thanks

The PJ1 is RED.

onecrazydog
11-30-2010, 07:51 PM
The PJ1 is the fastest color, RED.

Got that right!!

Joker
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Had to air up some tires on my truck for a road trip tomorrow and took the opportunity to blow out my red air filter. Easy money!

Vette Killer
12-04-2010, 08:55 PM
2) Give them a good blow with your air compressor from the inside out

I would not recommend this step unless you have your regulator set to 20 PSI or less. Using high pressure air causes minor tearing of the media that will make the filter a significantly higher micron rating and allow dirt into the air system. I use the aerosol based propellent cleaning kits, they are about $20 and will do the filter about 4-5 times.

JTB
12-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I would not recommend this step unless you have your regulator set to 20 PSI or less. Using high pressure air causes minor tearing of the media that will make the filter a significantly higher micron rating and allow dirt into the air system. I use the aerosol based propellent cleaning kits, they are about $20 and will do the filter about 4-5 times.

I blow out at 25...I'll drop it down a bit.

Joker
12-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I blow out at 25...I'll drop it down a bit.

Crap. I blew mine out at 120 psi's!

Just kidding! :tease2: