PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Coil Packs

Tommy Gun
12-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Some aftermarket coil packs claim up to double the voltage of factory packs.

Is there any real performance to be found in upgrading them?

Granatelli claims there packs run 40,000 volts compared to 20,000 volts factory and increases performance.

Is there a life span on these type coil packs generally?

I had one go bad on my track car already and the car has 93,000 miles on it.

A new set of factory packs is about $450.

Aftermarket Coil pack kits run about $260.

I was looking to replace for reliability reasons, but wonder if there is any warrant to go w/ an aftermarket which claims to be better.

Any experience w/ such things out there?

Might have another order for Joe. :grin:

Tommy Gun
12-14-2010, 01:34 AM
No one has any info on coil packs? :waiting2:

Gr8snkbite
12-14-2010, 02:14 AM
i've routinely used MSD coil packs on various vehicles...always worked great. helps increase gas mileage. burns most of the fuel in the cylinder, giving more compression, quicker response. currently been running them on the truck. just got to regap for the increased spark...

68fastback
12-14-2010, 02:38 AM
...different discharge characteristics could impact effective ignition timing and interference and might require tune adjustments

I've seen some time-lapse advertising pics (not specific to Mustangs) showing how coil/plug combo-X generates a larger plasma-ball propagation earlier vs stock and makes more power. But in testing I've read both that more-HP claims are totally bogus and, alternatively, that any observed gains are simply doe to impacting when peak combustion occurs -- effectively changing timing advance, but not producing any material difference otherwise (once timing is adjusted). Also, some coil-on-plug car computers actually 'read' the resistance characteriscs of the wire/plug as part of diagnosing problems (dunno if Ford does that -- I'm not aware that they do).

I'm thinking more voltage is generally a good thing in that you're less likely to see spark blow-out and effective charge ignition under marginal conditions, but if you're not having any of those problems I'd be concerned it might be affecting ignition timing or produce new EMI/FRI interference if the aftermarket coils have higher spark energy, faster discharge, etc that might have to be adjusted for in the tune if near the 'edge' of octane, etc., especially at higher rpm ...so might not be worth messing with if no problems.

Top quality ignition wires are worthwhile imo (e.g. Magnecor (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm)), especially if you do go to a high-energy ignition system where EMI/RFI interference can otherwise cause problems with engine sensors/electronics. The Magnecor site has a lot of good Q&A/FAQs if interested.

So, in summary, I have no friggin' idea if it's a good thing or not :rofl:

:tease:

Joe G
12-14-2010, 03:10 AM
So, in summary, I have no friggin' idea if it's a good thing or not :rofl:

:iagree:

Alloy Dave
12-14-2010, 05:03 AM
I'd say that if you're increasing cylinder pressures significantly from stock, they may help in that environment...but otherwise I can't see much gain on today's already combustion-optimized engines. JMO

Tommy Gun
12-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd say that if you're increasing cylinder pressures significantly from stock, they may help in that environment...but otherwise I can't see much gain on today's already combustion-optimized engines. JMO

I am running 8-9 psi of boost.

My main concern is that I have already had one coil go bad (may just be a fluke) so as a pre caution may change them up (or keep a back up set) and didn't know if it would harm to go w/ aftermarket.

So in summary, if I change them to aftermarket, I should also have the tune rechecked. Also they may effect the car is ways I won't know if Ford uses the resistance thing-a-ma-bob in their tunes.

Maybe I should just keep a spare or two handy. Problem is, getting to them while at the track and/or figuring out which might be bad.

Sounds like a crap shoot.

68fastback
12-14-2010, 05:30 PM

My main concern is that I have already had one coil go bad (may just be a fluke) so as a pre caution may change them up (or keep a back up set) and didn't know if it would harm to go w/ aftermarket.

So in summary, if I change them to aftermarket, I should also have the tune rechecked. Also they may effect the car is ways I won't know if Ford uses the resistance thing-a-ma-bob in their tunes.

Maybe I should just keep a spare or two handy. Problem is, getting to them while at the track and/or figuring out which might be bad.

Bill, this might just be from vibration, etc over the last (8?) years. If you changed to race-gas (and exploited with higher cylinder pressures, as Dave noted) it might be worthwhile to go to aftermarket coils then (since you'd be retuning for a new set-up anyway), but prolly no real value on pump gas since you can't run more cyl pressures than 93 can support anyway.

Tommy Gun
12-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Not exactly sure what your saying.

Looks like you took a few sentences and just threw them together. :lol:

68fastback
12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
:doh2: ;-)

Tommy Gun
12-14-2010, 10:01 PM
I use the car only at the track.

I use Torco in the 93.

Usually mix to about 103-105 octane.

I only mix for insurance since I'm running some boost and hitting high RPM's.

So possibly a good idea although I'm borderline race gas and so little boost?

What exactly would I need to check in the tune? Checked on a dyno?

68fastback
12-14-2010, 10:21 PM
...you've had no misfire codes or evidence of ignition problems. One thing's for sure, the coil didn't fail because you were running boost ...coils usually fail for physical reasons, like shock/vibration ...but if you do get higher-energy coils, be sure to let us know how it works out :grin:

...sure are plenty to choose from (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&VN=4294966864+4294966469+4294967181+4294967147+429 4966883&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&Nmrf=page%3Aserp&use_warranty_code_parent=AutoTrust&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=ignition+coil&D=ignition+coil&Dx=mode+matchall&Npp=20):giggle:

Tommy Gun
12-15-2010, 12:13 AM
:doh2:

Birdman
12-16-2010, 11:39 AM

In your track car the aftermarket coils could be benificial because they have a greater output than the OEM ones. On the GT500 that is not the case as the GT500 already uses a high output coil pack.

There is also no reason to adjust timing when using aftermarket coils..

The #1 and #2 reason's coils fail is Quality (or lack thereof), and Heat and coil failure on the older gen coils was all too common.

Tommy Gun
12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I was about just forgo this, but it worries me now that you said it use to be common for them to fail....especially w/ heat.

W/ 90,000 plus miles on the car and using it for what I do, I would like the insurance of changing them and then not worrying about them for many years hopefully.

....and I have $250 burning a hole in my pocket. :rofl3:

Joe G
12-16-2010, 04:35 PM
....and I have $250 burning a hole in my pocket. :rofl3:

:woohoo:

68fastback
12-16-2010, 04:54 PM
The Accel coils in the link in post-12 (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&VN=4294966864+4294966469+4294967181+4294967147+429 4966883&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&Nmrf=page%3Aserp&use_warranty_code_parent=AutoTrust&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=ignition+coil&D=ignition+coil&Dx=mode+matchall&Npp=20)seem to be nicely priced and constructed to withstand vibration/heat ...10-15% higher output ...cheaper than the Motorcraft units. Sure are lots to choose from :yikes:

Tommy Gun
12-16-2010, 08:00 PM
The Accel coils in the link in post-12 (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&VN=4294966864+4294966469+4294967181+4294967147+429 4966883&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&Nmrf=page%3Aserp&use_warranty_code_parent=AutoTrust&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=ignition+coil&D=ignition+coil&Dx=mode+matchall&Npp=20)seem to be nicely priced and constructed to withstand vibration/heat ...10-15% higher output ...cheaper than the Motorcraft units. Sure are lots to choose from :yikes:

Actually, I was looking at these.... http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-hotstreet-2v.html

They have a higher output supposedly than the Accels.

And Joe should be able go get these. :shades:

68fastback
12-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Actually, I was looking at these.... http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-hotstreet-2v.html

They have a higher output supposedly than the Accels.

And Joe should be able go get these. :shades:

Twice the voltage!! Might be worthwhile to get some serious wires (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm)too? Are the wires in the track car original?

Tommy Gun
12-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Twice the voltage!! Might be worthwhile to get some serious wires (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm)too? Are the wires in the track car original?

Um, hello McFly???

These are coil packs, they plug straight on the coils, there are no spark plug wires? :doh2:

hellfyr
12-17-2010, 12:57 PM
One thing I might be a little concerned with would be how the power draw of the proposed units compares to stock.

Comparing to something I know...
The terminators are already on the "edge" of the limits of their OEM alternator, dunno if the GT500s are the same way or not.

Under WOT I can see the voltage level in my system drop from 14.4 to 13.5v. Many tuners have expressed concerns that that can lead to
conditions of low-powering the fuel injectors and not supply enough fuel to the engine.

As I said, dunno if the GT500s suffer from the same alternator issues or not.

Rod

Tommy Gun
12-17-2010, 02:42 PM
One thing I might be a little concerned with would be how the power draw of the proposed units compares to stock.

Comparing to something I know...
The terminators are already on the "edge" of the limits of their OEM alternator, dunno if the GT500s are the same way or not.

Under WOT I can see the voltage level in my system drop from 14.4 to 13.5v. Many tuners have expressed concerns that that can lead to
conditions of low-powering the fuel injectors and not supply enough fuel to the engine.

As I said, dunno if the GT500s suffer from the same alternator issues or not.

Rod

This is on a 2002 GT, I would guess it may be the same alternator as a 2003-2004, but perhaps not being a Cobra would be drawing less overall?

Too technical for me to figure out.

68fastback
12-18-2010, 12:27 AM
...here's what you need, high-voltage boy :biggrin:

3816 :yikes:

68fastback
12-18-2010, 12:52 AM
...ok, will 10,000,000 volts do it? !!

3817 :haha:

68fastback
12-18-2010, 02:04 AM
...does that mean you're still deciding if you'll order new coil packs?

...maybe they don't like you :tease2:

:nonono: :haha:

Alloy Dave
12-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Hey Bill, if you get those coil packs, they're gonna fry your wires, I'd recommend a new set.

68fastback
12-18-2010, 07:07 PM
:spitcopy: Bill, what he said :shades:

:haha:

Tommy Gun
12-18-2010, 07:24 PM
:doh2: