PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Dual 75mm Throttle Body

JTB
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.evoperform.com/shop/images/SGT275.jpg

I guess this the biggest http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/50/lens3683342_1266408289albacore-tuna.jpgTUNAhttp://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/50/lens3683342_1266408289albacore-tuna.jpg on the block now.

Has anyone had any experience with it? I'm assuming Whipple designed this specifically for the 2.9 and 3.4?

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_32&products_id=1127

Joe G
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
I thought L&M had a dual 78MM TB? :popcorn:

JTB
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM

:surprised:

:popcorn:

Joe G
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
http://landm-airflow.com/images/lm78-1-large.jpg

JTB
03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Nice!

Boston Mike
03-10-2011, 05:45 PM

All of a sudden, that Tuna looks like a Guppie.

Gr8snkbite
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
All of a sudden, that Tuna looks like a Guppie.

+1....and probably needs a tune......:doh2:

Tommy Gun
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Exactly.

JTB
03-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Exactly.

So one could bolt on this L&M 78 WHALE http://www.inkart.net/animals/drawings/marine_mammals/images/thumbs/sperm_whale.jpg with no tune? Really????

Tommy Gun
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
So one could bolt on this L&M 78 WHALE http://www.inkart.net/animals/drawings/marine_mammals/images/thumbs/sperm_whale.jpg with no tune? Really????

I believe so.

If you didn't live in a cave you would have seen this thread 8 months ago.... http://stangsunited.com/showthread.php?1463-Sneak-peak-L-amp-M-78mm-TB

:rofl3:

KC BadCat
03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I believe so.

If you didn't live in a cave you would have seen this thread 8 months ago.... http://stangsunited.com/showthread.php?1463-Sneak-peak-L-amp-M-78mm-TB

:rofl3:

...I would imagine that a small caveat here would be that it depends on the tune you have prior to installation of this new L & M.......some aftermarket tunes do not play well with the direct install of this unit. Works great with others...it sounds like there are varying approaches to tuning that makes this happen. Several on here could explain better than I.

Tommy Gun
03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
...I would imagine that a small caveat here would be that it depends on the tune you have prior to installation of this new L & M.......some aftermarket tunes do not play well with the direct install of this unit. Works great with others...it sounds like there are varying approaches to tuning that makes this happen. Several on here could explain better than I.

Birdman or Blackshelby could give you a direct answer to that.

Birdman
03-10-2011, 10:21 PM
If you look closely at this new Whipple "75" design you will see that it is a very poor knock off of the L&M 72. I won't go into details but sufice it to say it is missing many of the quality features found only on the L&M TB.....and Yes it absolutely does require major tuning changes to get it to work just like the old monoblade does and for much of the same reasons too....:nonono:

A WORD OF CAUTION:
This Whipple TB's bolt pattern has the stock GT500 TB bolt pattern. The problem is there is no way to fit a throttle body with a blade any larger than 72mm in either a stock plenum or any other aftermarket plenum on either a stock GT500 Eaton or a TVS supercharger.

This new Whipple 75 won't even fit the plenum on a Whipple 2.9 SC. Even with the larger "Crusher inlet" it won't fit unless some extensive porting is done. So in conclusion it looks like it is made only for those who happen to have a Whipple SC with a crusher inlet that they don't mind porting.

As far as the L&M 78mm TB is concerned ..........it was made to fit the KennyBell SC's 2.8 or bigger that use a unique larger bolt pattern and so it will not fit an Eaton or Whipple SC bolt pattern......and yes it also will require some tuning.
I might add that the 78mm L&M should really only be used on engines making "big" hp because of it's enormous size.

dwattsup
03-10-2011, 11:52 PM

Yep, that's correct. I had to update my tune when I went to the L&M. Although Joker didn't need a tune and he had basically the same setup as me besides the fact that my GT500 is a 2009 and I believe his is a 2008.

JTB
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Yep, that's correct. I had to update my tune when I went to the L&M. Although Joker didn't need a tune and he had basically the same setup as me besides the fact that my GT500 is a 2009 and I believe his is a 2008.

Don't you run a Whipple?

badboy500
03-11-2011, 12:02 AM
If you look closely at this new Whipple "75" design you will see that it is a very poor knock off of the L&M 72. I won't go into details but sufice it to say it is missing many of the quality features found only on the L&M TB.....and Yes it absolutely does require major tuning changes to get it to work just like the old monoblade does and for much of the same reasons too....:nonono:

A WORD OF CAUTION:
This Whipple TB's bolt pattern has the stock GT500 TB bolt pattern. The problem is there is no way to fit a throttle body with a blade any larger than 72mm in either a stock plenum or any other aftermarket plenum on either a stock GT500 Eaton or a TVS supercharger.

This new Whipple 75 won't even fit the plenum on a Whipple 2.9 SC. Even with the larger "Crusher inlet" it won't fit unless some extensive porting is done. So in conclusion it looks like it is made only for those who happen to have a Whipple SC with a crusher inlet that they don't mind porting.

As far as the L&M 78mm TB is concerned ..........it was made to fit the KennyBell SC's 2.8 or bigger that use a unique larger bolt pattern and so it will not fit an Eaton or Whipple SC bolt pattern......and yes it also will require some tuning.
I might add that the 78mm L&M should really only be used on engines making "big" hp because of it's enormous size.

I think the L&M 78mm will fit my needs to a "T" or am I missing something ?

KC BadCat
03-11-2011, 01:11 AM

....my only issue is some wobble in the idle after I sit at a light for more than a few seconds.....not too bad....runs like a banshee otherwise...I'm running one of the original tunes from Evo performance/jlt that I think came from Lund ......

dwattsup
03-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Don't you run a Whipple?

I didn't have the Whipple at that time, I had the TVS.

dwattsup
03-11-2011, 02:17 AM
....my only issue is some wobble in the idle after I sit at a light for more than a few seconds.....not too bad....runs like a banshee otherwise...I'm running one of the original tunes from Evo performance/jlt that I think came from Lund ......

Evo gave me a tune and then refunded my money when it didn't work (after waiting a couple of weeks with no response and checking my credit card transactions to see the credit. They never said anything about the refund). The car would start out running strong, and then once it warmed up, wouldn't idle, it would just die. That was after they told me my tuner didn't know what he was doing and for $250 they could give me a mail order tune that would work out great. In the end my guy developed a tune for me that worked great. So I'm not sure if it was something specific to my car or some difference in the ECU between a 2008 and 2009. My tuner tunes the car, not the mods. In my opinion I would stay away from mail order tunes and go with a good tuner with your car on a dyno. Especially with highly modified cars and high HP applications. Just my opinion, I'm sure many others have been quite happy with mail order tunes. Little variances add up.

Tommy Gun
03-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Evo gave me a tune and then refunded my money when it didn't work (after waiting a couple of weeks with no response and checking my credit card transactions to see the credit. They never said anything about the refund). The car would start out running strong, and then once it warmed up, wouldn't idle, it would just die. That was after they told me my tuner didn't know what he was doing and for $250 they could give me a mail order tune that would work out great. In the end my guy developed a tune for me that worked great. So I'm not sure if it was something specific to my car or some difference in the ECU between a 2008 and 2009. My tuner tunes the car, not the mods. In my opinion I would stay away from mail order tunes and go with a good tuner with your car on a dyno. Especially with highly modified cars and high HP applications. Just my opinion, I'm sure many others have been quite happy with mail order tunes. Little variances add up.

Evo has gotten away w/ selling many tunes because people don't 'drive' their cars, they use them to go get groceries.

For us who use our cars we have learned to take other routes to get a real tune and one that will make our cars last a long time w/ no issues.

badboy500
03-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Evo has gotten away w/ selling many tunes because people don't 'drive' their cars, they use them to go get groceries.

For us who use our cars we have learned to take other routes to get a real tune and one that will make our cars last a long time w/ no issues.

+1 !!!

Now back to the L&M 78 mm TB !!!!! I must know more ......

I had asked at the Tasca show but was left in the dark.... I was trying to set the stage for Tasca,L&M and Fore to ride with me as I did the KOTS event and have my Shelby run strong with NO adverse driving ish,...I tred to set up a deal to use there parts and tune to fix the car and push there parts and tune and then pay for the work and parts after I got things moving due to the short time I hade to work on this before the KOTS event.
I went into this game(KOTS) with what I had...( a knife at a gun fight ) .....and now I will work out the cars driving ish and all the info I will keep it to my self.
I have much more I wish to do but I will first have a "street car"....and a "race car" last.

I will move on......regardless of "others" as I always do.
BB.

Birdman
03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I think the L&M 78mm will fit my needs to a "T" or am I missing something ?

Yep :yes: time to call Dennis at Tasca he can bring you "up to speed" on the L&M 78 since he has done extensive testing with it on a KB 2.8 equiped car since you spoke to him last.

Vette Killer
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
http://www.evoperform.com/shop/images/SGT275.jpg

I guess this the biggest http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/50/lens3683342_1266408289albacore-tuna.jpgTUNAhttp://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/50/lens3683342_1266408289albacore-tuna.jpg on the block now.

Has anyone had any experience with it? I'm assuming Whipple designed this specifically for the 2.9 and 3.4?

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_32&products_id=1127

No experience with it JTB....but this way more airflow than you will even come close to needing on your build and the bigger you go the less accuracy you get on small metering adjustments

KC BadCat
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM

..this will be taken care of with my tvs install at shelbyfest......

badboy500
03-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Yep :yes: time to call Dennis at Tasca he can bring you "up to speed" on the L&M 78 since he has done extensive testing with it on a KB 2.8 equiped car since you spoke to him last.

I will try...

Tommy Gun
03-12-2011, 01:44 AM
:sneaking2:

68fastback
03-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Just to clarify/summarize:

- The Whipple75 fits the eaton/whipple plenum bolt pattern but it's either not really a 75 or requires plenum porting since the eaton/whipple plenums are not 75mm tall.
- The L&M72 is the biggest that will fit that pattern plenum without modding/porting. Even the L&M has slightly oval butterflies so it will fit those plenums.
- The L&M78 doesn't fit the eaton/whipple plenums -- it's for the KB/mammoth SCs. Prior to the L&M78 you could use a 72 with the L&M CNC adapter, but the L&M78 is a native KB/mammoth fit -- no adapters (hence Badboy's interest).

Yeah, it's clear the whipple75 has somewhat mimicked the L&M in general venturi shape, but it doesn't have any of the other L&M technology and related quality features (intentionally being vague for obvious reasons), yet the Whipple is selling for a premium price. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Birdman
03-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Just to clarify/summarize:

- The Whipple75 fits the eaton/whipple plenum bolt pattern but it's either not really a 75 or requires plenum porting since the eaton/whipple plenums are not 75mm tall.- The L&M72 is the biggest that will fit that pattern plenum without modding/porting. Even the L&M has slightly oval butterflies so it will fit those plenums.
- The L&M78 doesn't fit the eaton/whipple plenums -- it's for the KB/mammoth SCs. Prior to the L&M78 you could use a 72 with the L&M CNC adapter, but the L&M78 is a native KB/mammoth fit -- no adapters (hence Badboy's interest).

Yeah, it's clear the whipple75 has somewhat mimicked the L&M in general venturi shape, but it doesn't have any of the other L&M technology and related quality features (intentionally being vague for obvious reasons), yet the Whipple is selling for a premium price. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Yes it indeed has 75mm blades but with the exception of the Whipple Crusher plenum, and only if you do extensive porting to the Crusher plenum, it will not fit any other plenum at all with the stock bolt pattern period.

68fastback
03-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Yes it indeed has 75mm blades but with the exception of the Whipple Crusher plenum, and only if you do extensive porting to the Crusher plenum, it will not fit any other plenum at all with the stock bolt pattern period.

Thanks, George ...makes sense!