PDA

View Full Version : Siverhorse fuel door fitment problems

Dad's72Mach
05-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Hey guys, not sure if I'm just being to critical or if I have a real problem. I bought a Siverhorse billet fuel door awhile back and finally got around to attempting to install.

It is held on by 3 posts and is supplied with 3 different sizes of spacers (1 long, 1 short and 3 medium). 2 posts are on the hinge side (toward the front of the car) and the instructions say not to use a spacer on the outside of the bottom post (spacers are provided for outside the sheet metal and for between the sheet metal and the nut) and you are supposed to try different sized spacers for the other 2 posts until you get a good fit.

Well I have tried every possible combination and can't get a perfect fit. The closest I came was the short spacer on the single back post and a medium on the top front, unfortunately this still leaves the fuel door slightly sunken toward the back and top of the door. Every other combnation leaves the bottom or top sticking out noticeably (even my wife could spot it and she usually wouldn't even be able to spot that the door was different from stock)

I plan on calling Silverhorse on Mon. but thought maybe one of you guys might have a suggestion. Wife thinks it is fine as is, admits she can see what I'm talking about but thinks I'm crazy for worrying about. I was thinking that if nothing else I could grind down one of the medium spacers slightly to add a little more space on that back post. If anyone can decipher my rambling explanation and has a sugestion I would appreciate it. Thanks!

:pimp:

Darkside
05-22-2011, 03:43 AM
I have their billet fuel door as well and had it installed with other mods and my guys didn't have any issues and the fit is great. Give them a call and see what they say.

Dad's72Mach
05-22-2011, 03:49 AM
I have their billet fuel door as well and had it installed with other mods and my guys didn't have any issues and the fit is great. Give them a call and see what they say.

Yeah I think either I am doing something wrong or maybe I didn't get all of the right spacers. The door itself is beautiful and I can get it to fit perfectly but once I begin tightening it just won't sit right no matter what I do.

Darkside
05-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Yeah I think either I am doing something wrong or maybe I didn't get all of the right spacers. The door itself is beautiful and I can get it to fit perfectly but once I begin tightening it just won't sit right no matter what I do.

Give SHR a call and I bet they send you more spacers. Their fuel doors are beautiful.

JTB
05-22-2011, 04:04 AM
That's surprising, I have one Silverhorse mod and the quality and fit was very good.

Maybe you just got one from a bad lot, I'm sure they'll look after you.

onecrazydog
05-22-2011, 04:12 AM
:pics:

Dad's72Mach
05-22-2011, 04:41 AM
These are the best I can do until tommorow but I think the show how the back edge is a little sunken. Is it noticeable or am I just to anal about it?

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/nstranglnd/DSC02816.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/nstranglnd/DSC02815.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/nstranglnd/DSC02814.jpg

JTB
05-22-2011, 04:46 AM
That looks pretty **** good, IMO.

Darkside
05-22-2011, 04:48 AM
You aren't imagining it. Its a little low and a thicker spacer would solve the problem.

Dad's72Mach
05-22-2011, 04:49 AM
That looks pretty **** good, IMO.

Pretty good shine too huh? Dad bought me a random orbital polisher for my b-day. I was afraid I might be being a little to critical on it. It is slightly sunken on the back edge but it may be as good as it gets. I tend to be a perfectionist sometimes and I'm afraid it will drive me crazy.

JTB
05-22-2011, 04:53 AM
Pretty good shine too huh? Dad bought me a random orbital polisher for my b-day. I was afraid I might be being a little to critical on it. It is slightly sunken on the back edge but it may be as good as it gets. I tend to be a perfectionist sometimes and I'm afraid it will drive me crazy.

Cool Dad! :wtg:

onecrazydog
05-22-2011, 05:02 AM
You aren't imagining it. Its a little low and a thicker spacer would solve the problem.

+1

Sweet design!!

Dad's72Mach
05-22-2011, 05:07 AM

Thanks DS I agree. I'll call SH and see if there is an alternative spacer, if not I think I can grind one of the longer spacers a little and make it work. Otherwise I love the door it's beautiful.

:pip:

onecrazydog
05-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks DS I agree. I'll call SH and see if there is an alternative spacer, if not I think I can grind one of the longer spacers a little and make it work. Otherwise I love the door it's beautiful.

pip'n ain't easy...

Dad's72Mach
05-22-2011, 05:22 AM
pip'n ain't easy...

Just call me Gator.

I rocks in the East and I rolls in the West
If you don't dig the pimpin I could really care less
cause it's, pimp or die, pimp or die baby

Darkside
05-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Just call me Gator.

I rocks in the East and I rolls in the West
If you don't dig the pimpin I could really care less
cause it's, pimp or die, pimp or die baby

Fo sheezy, Dad's bustin' rhymes.

Dad's72Mach
05-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Fo sheezy, Dad's bustin' rhymes.

It's one my long held dirty little secrets. Despite being a hard core rocker I am also an Ice T fan. It's a weakness I know.

Boston Mike
05-22-2011, 03:33 PM
These are the best I can do until tommorow but I think the show how the back edge is a little sunken. Is it noticeable or am I just to anal about it?

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/nstranglnd/DSC02816.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/nstranglnd/DSC02815.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/nstranglnd/DSC02814.jpg

well, you do have a donkey fetish.......

KC BadCat
05-22-2011, 04:52 PM
...and its not just an appearance issue.......you want things flush on the side or you will get buildup on the rear edge.........best to just take care of early on....John

mustang loco
05-22-2011, 10:17 PM
if not I think I can grind one of the longer spacers a little and make it work. Otherwise I love the door it's beautiful.

That's what I did on my Shelby fuel door,worked out great.Looks very nice though!!

Dad's72Mach
05-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Well I've given up in disgust and put the stock fuel door on. I just don't see how this can be made to fit right. American Muscle has been less than helpful with this and my TPMS trouble. Guess I'll try SiverHorse direct next week and see what they say.

:banghead:

Joe G
05-29-2011, 03:03 AM
SH will help for sure.

Now about that TPMS... you're still having problems?!? :doh2:

Dad's72Mach
05-29-2011, 03:13 AM
SH will help for sure.

Now about that TPMS... you're still having problems?!? :doh2:

Yeah. If I skip the left front (the first in the series) the other 3 wheels train right away. The left front.... no response. Apparently since the sensors are a Ford part AM has to e-mail me a form which I send back to them and they then send to Ford. Once the sensor being bad is confirmed it is supposed to be replaced at a local dealer. The real problem was the guy I talked to at AM used a lot of "probably" "should" and "most likely" weasel words. I assume they will get it taken care of or they wouldn't have the rep they do. The rims and tires are great, the light and tone are a little annoying but not that big of a deal.