PDA

View Full Version : Copy machines: Your privacy at risk

twobjshelbys
05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Copy machines store data on hard drives. Virtually all high end copiers (especially those that have network printing capability) are essentially scanners. The data ends up on the internal hard drive.

Watch this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6412572n&tag=mg;mostpopvideo

So that fax you sent to your insurance company is on the hard drive of the copier/printer/fax machine (we have tons of these in our facility).

There is very little you can do. It's the receiver's responsibility to take care of this.

Shlbylvr
05-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Holy crap..

twobjshelbys
05-18-2010, 12:29 AM
There is one thing you can do: Avoid copying stuff at places like Kinkos. I'd say there is no guarantee of privacy. In fact it would be interesting to challenge them as to how they keep Fred from unloading all the stuff people copied today while he is cleaning the store tonight.

Stew
05-18-2010, 12:36 AM
So you mean someone will find the photo copies of my but. :haha:

Stew

Gr8snkbite
05-18-2010, 12:46 AM
this is a no shiite story...big time review...many machines get shipped off to china or other places with personal data in them....you've been warned...

The Bone
05-18-2010, 01:01 AM
So the next time you go to UPS or Fed x to make a copy you leave a copy in the machine. That is daingerous.
I have my own copy print fax machine so I dont have to go downtown to make copy's.
But my doctor school DMV there are lots of places that copy our information that we have no control over.
We are out there

Alloy Dave
05-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Identity theft is no laughing matter. One of these days I'll do a thread on it in my forum.

rickf73
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Glad I have always used the office copier and not public ones. Did not realize it kept the images on the drive. I will make sure to erase the drive before we get rid of ours.

Thanks for the info.

Shelbyfestguy
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
I used to be a branch manager for Kinko's and one of our branches in the northwest had a counterfeiter use their color copiers to make bills. One of the ways they caught then was because the machine also puts a microscopic number on every thing it prints out so they tracked him down that way.

But yes, the machines do store everything on a hard drive. The mfg's are supposed to destroy those hard drives when the machine goes out of service....but do they or not? Hard to tell.

Joe G
05-19-2010, 04:18 AM
So you mean someone will find the photo copies of my but. :haha:

Stew

:moon:

HSURB
11-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Copy machines store data on hard drives. Virtually all high end copiers (especially those that have network printing capability) are essentially scanners. The data ends up on the internal hard drive.

Watch this:

So that fax you sent to your insurance company is on the hard drive of the copier/printer/fax machine (we have tons of these in our facility).

There is very little you can do. It's the receiver's responsibility to take care of this.

Thanks for posting Bruce. I wasn't aware of this.

HSURB®

Joe G
11-16-2010, 02:03 AM

HSURB®

That wasn't Bruce. :doh2:

onecrazydog
11-16-2010, 05:07 AM

HSURB®

All those pics of your butt scans are on multiple hard drives out there... lol!!

Tommy Gun
10-11-2012, 12:02 AM

Watch this:

Bump for reminder. :grin: