PDA

View Full Version : Changing Oil???

ati
10-21-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm getting ready to put the Shelby away until the spring. Its been about 2500 miles since the last oil change.
1) Should I change it before I put it in storage or in the spring when I take it out?
2) What is the shelf life on synthetic oil? I have 6 unopened quarts of 5 W 50 I bought a year ago, Is the oil still good?
Thanks

Birdman
10-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm getting ready to put the Shelby away until the spring. Its been about 2500 miles since the last oil change.
1) Should I change it before I put it in storage or in the spring when I take it out?
2) What is the shelf life on synthetic oil? I have 6 unopened quarts of 5 W 50 I bought a year ago, Is the oil still good?
Thanks

Some say 2-5 years but others say if stored in a cool environment (Most manufacturers recommend storing it in an environment where the temperature is between 45 degrees and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.)sealed it can be stored indefinitely but it might me wise to shake it up to remix the additives before using.

Mobil1 says this when asked the Question:

Shelf Life of Unopened Mobil 1 Quarts
Does Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (in an unopened quart) have any sort of shelf life, like conventional motor oil?

Answer:
ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1.

VaporDude
10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
To answer your question on before or after storage, either one. Some people wait until spring to do all the maintenance from being stored and other like to do it before it is stored. Then you have others that perform their maintenace before and after storage. You just need to pick one that is right for you. Me, I would do it after storage. That way you do it all at one time like check the tires, brakes, wipers etc......

68fastback
10-21-2011, 06:59 PM
I' sure you can do either but I'm anal about changing the oil *before* putting things away (snowblower, tractor, generators, cars no diff) because you don't want the hyrdocarbons and moisture present in all used oil sitting in contact with the engine components for those months because hydrocarbons + moisture = acid (mostly hydrochloric and sulfuric). Then I start it up until it pressures-up and then to cicrulate oil through the engine to flush the used oil out (just a minute or two) and then shut it down for storage.

Also, I *always* do this on an engine that was *fully* warmed-up before the oil change for three reasons: 1) more complete drain of the oil oil, 2) shorter pressure-up interval (when wear occurs) after the change in a warm engine, and 3) you don't want to store things with all that condensation throught the engine -- which is what forms almost instantly after starting a cool engine (check any tailpipe after a cold start). ...acid bad ;-( ...clean oil good ;-)

Boston Mike
10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
must suck having to put the car away.

:sofa:

68fastback
10-21-2011, 07:36 PM
:giggle:

Joe G
10-22-2011, 02:43 AM

:sofa::trouble: I hate you.

Tommy Gun
10-22-2011, 02:47 AM

:sofa:

Exactly

Joe G
10-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Exactly

.Post #7 can go for you too if you're not careful. :nonono:

Tommy Gun
10-22-2011, 02:50 AM
:hiding:

Alloy Dave
10-22-2011, 03:53 AM
I do mine in spring, because I fear condensation in the crankcase over the winter will be in the oil from all the cold/warm cycles and humidity. Although I do like Dan's comment about acid forming on parts.

As for having the engine fully warmed up, I agree you want it warmed up fully, but IMO if you had it fully warmed up, then shut it off and let it sit overnight, you'd get MORE of the dirty oil out of it than if you changed the oil immediately after warming it up. Think about it...once the engine is turned off, the oil continues to drip into the pan.

68fastback
10-22-2011, 04:47 AM
True, an overnight drain will get a bit more out, but I think if you're draining a hot engine you'll get 99% of it drained out in 10 minutes or so and the engine will still be warm enough not to form condensation on restart. When you restart it, the fresh oil additives will neutralize that little acidic remainder, I think. You're never getting all the oil out anyway ...there's some pockets in the oil galleries and thinks like the lash-adjusters, etc, so might as well store her with fresh oil and additives in all the nooks and crannies, imo, rather than have acid-rich oil sitting in there over the winter. Besides, in the unlikely event of any significant condensation, fresh oil isn't going to make acid sicne no new hydrocarbons are being introduced while it's sitting. Any condensation that might occurr over the winter with the old oil in there has an opportunity to react with the hydrocarbons in the old oil and make acid.

I do the same with lawn & garden tools stored in our unheated garage too ...rub some fresh engine oil on them before winter and no surface rust in the spring. Not the same as a car, but for same reasons. I always clean things just after use and before putting them away vs before next use, but that's just how I am. I like to have everything ready-to-go, etc. The 12 year old garden tractor looks like it was just made ...so does the 24 year old snow blower. I can't afford to spend money on unnecessary replacements, so I like to maintain stuff really well all along. Also I hate surprises, so I'll inspect everything and do any service or parts replacements in the fall so there's no surprises in the spring, or if there's an emergency and the generator *must* start (was handy for hurricane Irene, etc). But that's just me. ;-)

Tommy Gun
10-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I havent noticed condensation in the track turd since 1) it's actually on a cement driveway and 2) I switched to Synthetic Blend oil. :grin:

ati
10-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I always change the oil before I put her away for the year but I thought would ask what everyone else is doing.
And for you guys that have the privilege of driving all year long and rubbing it in, :biteme:

onecrazydog
10-22-2011, 07:18 PM
In the summer I change it every two months... May, July, Sept, and just before I park it for the winter... :sighs: :( This year I also changed it before and after Shelbyfest!!

mustang loco
10-23-2011, 11:27 AM
And for you guys that have the privilege of driving all year long and rubbing it in, :biteme:

:spitcopy:, I also do mine in spring like Dave,only put 3k on it this summer,didn't have time to ride like I wish I could have...

Tommy Gun
10-23-2011, 12:24 PM
:spitcopy:, I also do mine in spring like Dave,only put 3k on it this summer,didn't have time to ride like I wish I could have...

I just ride mine around town so I think I only put on 3000-4000 a year now, use to put closer to 7000 a year on it.

Gr8snkbite
10-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I change mine every 3k miles, regardless of how long it takes. Nothing special for winter,

68fastback
10-23-2011, 07:02 PM
...as a kid growin up in NYC, a friends dad had the US contract for putting A/C in Mercedes (this is before they offered A/C from the factory) so you would think he would be 'considerate' of cars. Nope -lol. He changed the oil in his own Caddy -- begrudgingly -- once a year (and the filter maybe every other year -doh!) ...and in his several other (mostly bizarre, like Isabella Borg Ward) cars he never changed the oil -- ever! ...just added oil when it fell off the stick :yikes: ...and never figured that caused any of the problems :rofl: ...tho many of the cars amazingly lasted a long time ...like a decade or longer :shock: ...usually the floor boards would just rot out before the oil got changed ...so he could sell the car with 'clean' oil ...like what was drained from the Caddy :rofl: ...even as kids we used to tell him that's not a good idea -lol.

Tommy Gun
10-23-2011, 11:33 PM
...as a kid growin up in NYC, a friends dad had the US contract for putting A/C in Mercedes (this is before they offered A/C from the factory) so you would think he would be 'considerate' of cars. Nope -lol. He changed the oil in his own Caddy -- begrudgingly -- once a year (and the filter maybe every other year -doh!) ...and in his several other (mostly bizarre, like Isabella Borg Ward) cars he never changed the oil -- ever! ...just added oil when it fell off the stick :yikes: ...and never figured that caused any of the problems :rofl: ...tho many of the cars amazingly lasted a long time ...like a decade or longer :shock: ...usually the floor boards would just rot out before the oil got changed ...so he could sell the car with 'clean' oil ...like what was drained from the Caddy :rofl: ...even as kids we used to tell him that's not a good idea -lol.

:wow2: