PDA

View Full Version : The Crystal Ball Chronicles: 2015 Mustang ST and Camaro ZL1

Birdman
04-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Some interesting insight into both of the nex gen Mustang's and Camaro's

2015 Mustang ST

"A new Mustang is coming in 2015. It will be lighter, smaller and more aerodynamic than today’s model, but no less evocative and capable. Forget about 5.8-liter supercharged V8s with 650 hp under the hood. The Mustang ST (Ford will call the engineering group “SVT” and the cars it produces “STs” or, in certain cases, “Rs” in the pursuit of global nomenclature uniformity) will be powered by a direct-injected and turbocharged (“EcoBoost”) version of the Mustang GT’s 5.0-liter V8. Horsepower will be on the order of 500, though it easily could go higher. Because continuous torque delivery to the ground is paramount, a Getrag dual-clutch transmission (DCT) will be standard."..........................

"The 2015 Mustang ST will be: lighter, more compact physically, sleeker, more aerodynamic, have better fuel economy, a more modern and driver-oriented interior, and be driven by the drivetrain building blocks it shares with the Mustang GT. It will not crack 200 mph, but it will offer a level of performance and sophistication the 2013 Shelby GT 500 can’t match."

http://www.thevirtualdriver.com/analysis-opinion/2011/11/22/the-crystal-ball-chronicles-2015-mustang-st-and-camaro-zl1.html

Tommy Gun
04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Did you just describe a Mini Cooper? :popcorn:

Joe G
04-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Carroll Shelby’s contract with Ford expires in 2013, and Dearborn will not renew its contract with the oldest living multiple organ transplant survivor in the world. Especially when the timing of the agreement gives Ford ample opportunity to redirect its Mustang performance efforts for a more global audience.

:wtg:

Joe G
04-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Did you just describe a Mini Cooper? :popcorn:

.Yes, but it won't be gay.

:look:

Gr8snkbite
04-05-2012, 02:14 AM
this will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.....:wtg:

Carnut
04-05-2012, 03:23 AM
:popcorn:

68fastback
04-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Great find, George ...interesting stuff! Much of it not new but still lots of good thinking, The engineering/chassis hardpoints for the '15 Mustang have to already be set in stone even if they are toying with competing styling/designs on those hardpoints. I can't imagine they're still playing hardpoint games for a car that debuts in only 24 months ...styling, maybe; core engineering, seriously doubt it.

I though it was curious that they're saying the Camaro will get a new smaller V8 but initially with pushrods and no DI but with a high-efficiency SC (TVS lol) on top of an intercooler in the valley. Sounds like GM is determined to keep the ZL1 very moddable ...at least until they ramp up the DOHC DI version? Also, sounds like they'll be adding some items already on some Ford cars: more aero body, reconfigurable IP display (possibly not, they said), belly pan, grille shutters, etc.

I'm also starting to wonder if Ford's reinvigoration of Lincoln might play a richer role in what tech goodies and chassis Mustang gets (not their LS comment, just in general going forward). They touched on chassis/IRS question and GM has both Corvette and Caddy to share with whereas Ford has nothing (presently) to spread Mustang tech costs, so maybe a 'hot rod' Lincoln (which I think there's a market for too) will help contain costs since chassis engineering is hugely expensive too.

Sounds like we're in for another major turn-of-the-crank technology ride -- and that's always a fun time ...especially when there's competition. ;-)

Tommy Gun
04-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes, but it won't be gay.

:look:

Okay, cool. :rofl3:

Tommy Gun
04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
What are the main pluses of going to the Getrag (Mini Cooper :shades: ) transmission over the Tremec transmissions? :popcorn:

68fastback
04-05-2012, 07:35 PM
If you mean the 5.0's Getrag vs GT500's Trememc:
-- Lighter
-- cheaper,
-- less parasitic losses
BUT, 5.0 Getrag is not nearly as stout as the GT500's TR6060 ...doesn't need to be.

A DCT's advantage over a traditional automatic:
-- faster shifting (
-- user controllable or automated (like an automatic) or both
-- much more efficient
-- much more electroncially manageable (e.g. user and pre-programmable modes; integration with all powertrain functions, etc)

Tommy Gun
04-06-2012, 12:36 AM
You lost me, are you saying the Getrag is an automatic trans?

68fastback
04-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Well, Getrag makes the MT-82 6-speed in the 5.0 MGT, but George's post also referred to a DCT (a dual-shaft dual clutch electronically-automated manual like many exoticars) for the '15 Mustang which can interface to paddle shifters, a slap-stick or be programmed to function as an automatic. But it has no hydraulics of any kind and is capable of lightning-fast shifts. Wasn't sure which one (6-spd manual or DCT) you were refering to so I answered for both. I'm an over-achiever. :giggle:

Tommy Gun
04-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I have no idea what a DCT is. I'm an under achiever.

Tommy Gun
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Click, next feature.

http://www.miniusa.com/top-feature-conv-six-speed-automatic.html# (http://www.miniusa.com/top-feature-conv-six-speed-automatic.html#)

:giggle:

68fastback
04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
:wow2: the mini now has almost as many cool tech goodies as a basic Focus! :grin:

68fastback
04-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I have no idea what a DCT is. I'm an under achiever.

Have you heard of something called a search engines? :giggle:

Carnut
06-17-2014, 10:46 PM
So, here it is, 2 years and 2 months from the crystal ball predictions. No ST or Turbo 5.0 has materialized as of yet, perhaps they may not at all or maybe MY2016. Maybe the ball is just broken.

68fastback
06-18-2014, 03:44 AM
:birdy: