PDA

View Full Version : Thumper Tensioner

Iceman
05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I finally broke down and ordered the tensioner in hopes of not replacing belts at every oil change.....or sometimes doing an oil change to replace a belt..

I ordered on Thursday late and the box arrived today :)

I am waiting on some FRPP oil filters then the fun begins....I have to get a few of these little things taken care of before Orfstock for the surprise I am hoping to for there (Shhh).

Iceman
05-24-2010, 08:58 PM
This thing is rock solid, really well made and the pully is smooth and quiet. I am optimistic that the chirp issues that keep popping up will sonn be gone for good....or at least longer periods of time. I'll try to get a side by side of this and stock when I get the other one off.

Oh and yes, this is through BVM Performance ;)

http://store.bvmperformance.com/PM_1005_GT500_Thumper_RRR_Racing_GT500_Belt_Tensio _p/pm-1005-gt500%20belt%20tensioner.htm

Tommy Gun
05-25-2010, 02:07 AM
I think Badboy said he was having problems finding the right belt to use w/ this?

I think he has the fancy billet crank pulley also.

Iceman
05-25-2010, 02:30 AM
I'll find out but I wouldn't think this would change the belt from what I have now? it's just putting more pressure on the belt to keep it tighter right? I've sent a PM to Badboy and Harley Dealer to find out and soon enough will have the info first hand. I hope it does not create extra work for me.

Tommy Gun
05-25-2010, 02:33 AM
I'll find out but I wouldn't think this would change the belt from what I have now? it's just putting more pressure on the belt to keep it tighter right? I've sent a PM to Badboy and Harley Dealer to find out and soon enough will have the info first hand. I hope it does not create extra work for me.

I get all my info mixed up anyway, he was probably talking about something else. lol

HARLEYDEALER
05-25-2010, 04:07 AM
The belt length remains the same when just adding the Thumper Tensioner. You may have to remove the pulley that sits right on top the Thump pulley to get the tits in the hole, no big deal, they mention they may change the design a bit so this would not have to be done but its no big deal if you do. The last picture shows the bottom of the pulley you may have to remove, The bolt I was using was a extra long one I was using till I got the right length bolt the next day, old one's came with the bolt to short, now they come with the right length, you are welcome! lol lBill

HARLEYDEALER
05-25-2010, 04:11 AM

I didn't get no PM :cop2: Bill

Tommy Gun
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I didn't get no PM :cop2: Bill

:rofl3:

Iceman
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Well - Belts are changed and the new tensioner is on. Bushings lubed, fresh oil and filter. I have a few pics here but am going to watch and see what happens now. I noticed the thumer tensioner is a much stronger system - there isno doub about that. It's also a smaller pulley than I have on there now so I am watching to see what happens and may have to get a bigger pulley but from the little I could tell with a short drive (looming storm clouds) it seems to be funtional and not have any slip. I did more quick stomps than long hard pulls trying to make it slip and I didn't feel like I got any...I'll leave this on for the drive to orfstock and we'll see if there is any belt chirp or anythng. I will keep the stock part in the trunk too incase I do get slip I can always swithc out the pulley and keep the better tensioner....I think Thump Racing does have some bigger puley options too but I'm not sure if they fit our cars and this one fits very nice. Going in from the bottom with the sway bar removed the tensioner slipped into place with minimal effort and no removal of other pulleys (Thanks Bill!). You can see how nice the part is but you can also see how much smaller the pulley is. I still have a fair amount of tention though and there is a lot more pressuer required to make this one have any give where the stock one could easily be made to move and lessen the pressure on the belt. The new pulley is a 63mm pulley. I think the stock one is about a 72mm? or so diameter?? My stock pulley is pretty beat up from the past belt changes but it is still functional for what it is needed to do.

Gr8snkbite
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I thought this was a direct replacement for stock with same size pulley...

Alloy Dave
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Good job. Now get a better photographer. :boink:

Iceman
06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
I thought this was a direct replacement for stock with same size pulley...

Me too - but what I don't know is if I still had the stock pulley on my stock tensioner? I have not looked anyplace to see what the stock tensioner pulley size is but I thought it was a same size thing too...right up until I put them next to each other.

Good job. Now get a better photographer. :boink:

I know - but you get what you get. Sorry but photos are cel phone only - I'm not a camera guy.

Gr8snkbite
06-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Me too - but what I don't know is if I still had the stock pulley on my stock tensioner? I have not looked anyplace to see what the stock tensioner pulley size is but I thought it was a same size thing too...right up until I put them next to each other.

I know - but you get what you get. Sorry but photos are cel phone only - I'm not a camera guy.

im sure BB knows...he's replaced enough of them...

badboy500
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I have the 3" on the KB.
IW 10% lower.
Thumper pulley
The 90mm KB idler (the one just under the SC inter cooler lines).
The Metco aux idler that has the 90mm also.

With that said, I am running the Gates 891 and it is 3/4" to long and I cant find one smaller yet. Still looking for one.This belt works but the blower will slip the belt on hard shifts. The smaller pulley on the thumper is so it does not hit the CPS or the AC unit when pushed to the max(as the stock unit will). Also when installing the thumper part it is a must to remove the idler pulley on the accessory drive just above the tensioner.Easy.

Now as for the squeak, Thats the Metco aux pulley. I cut some small grooves in the face of the pulley to reduce the side load grip on the belt and the squeak is no more, just don't know if this will effect the back side of the belt in the long run.

Sorry I have no pics.....LOL.
BB.

badboy500
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Sorry, I just got your PM.......I bet it was TG..LOL.:)

HARLEYDEALER
06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
For me the longer arch of the tensioner seem to make up for the smaller pulley, thats why the smaller pulley, is what my thoughts were. As I said I had to remove my pulley on top to install it, a larger pulley never would have fit.
To me the most important thing to look at when checking the tensioner is were it's clock at, meaning that when the breaker bar is sitting at full rest, it sits around 11 o'clock and at full tension its about 2 o'clock, I keep mine much closer to 2 o'clock or full tension, between 1:30 and 1:45 is were I prefer, I do that by changing the top idler pulley size I believe there are three I use 64mm. 74mm, and 90mm or belt lengths. When I had the 2.8 I also used the metro, then the Steeda's ( much more adjustments and easier than the Metco's). No room for either of those with the 3.6LC. Hope this helps! Bill

Iceman
06-07-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm going to have to look into the idler pulley too. I'm OK with the 3.25" upper and it seems to not have slip but I feel like the belt is a bit long still. I put the 3" on today and it screached like a raped ape at start up. It sounded fine one running but I didn't even drive it around - I could tell it was too loose when I put on the 3" just by the feel. I think the upper idle or a belt about a helf inch shorter would be great.

Boston Mike
06-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm going to have to look into the idler pulley too. I'm OK with the 3.25" upper and it seems to not have slip but I feel like the belt is a bit long still. I put the 3" on today and it screached like a raped ap at start up. It sounded fine one running but I didn't even drive it around - I could tell it was too loose when I put on the 3" just by the feel. I think the upper idle or a belt about a helf inch shorter would be great.

Hey, no personal attacks Mr.!!!!!!!!

BTW, don't you owe me a PM??? :grin:

HARLEYDEALER
06-07-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm going to have to look into the idler pulley too. I'm OK with the 3.25" upper and it seems to not have slip but I feel like the belt is a bit long still. I put the 3" on today and it screached like a raped ap at start up. It sounded fine one running but I didn't even drive it around - I could tell it was too loose when I put on the 3" just by the feel. I think the upper idle or a belt about a helf inch shorter would be great.
Are you running a Metco or Steeda upper, if not you need to. Did my post on the tensioner position make any sense? Bill

Iceman
06-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Yep - I have the metco 90MM but it is an old one and I don't think had more than one location setting. I'll have to look closer and my need to look at the steeda or the double bearing 90mm from Metco that allows more settings

Joe G
06-07-2010, 03:07 AM
Yep - I have the metco 90MM but it is an old one and I don't think had more than one location setting. I'll have to look closer and my need to look at the steeda or the double bearing 90mm from Metco that allows more settings

The standard adj 90MM metco should have 3 settings.

Iceman
06-07-2010, 03:13 AM
I'll have to look. It did not look like it today but I never fulley removed that pulley - just loosened it as I was tired at that time and was just getting the other pulley back on and thought to check. Mine's pretty old though...probably 2-3 yrs now.

HARLEYDEALER
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I got mine in 2006 and it has three settings, but you need to remove it to relocate the pulley. Bill

GT500FLYBOY
06-09-2010, 05:08 PM
OK - here's my Thumper 62mm pulley story. I have the lower IW, the Metco 90mm idler, and a 3.25" upper on the Whipple 2.9. I've been using Gates K100891 89" belts. I installed the Thumper just fine - and without having to remove the upper 6-rib pulley. It slips right in just like stock. However - with the 62mm pulley, the 89" belt is too long. Good thing I had an 85" leftover from the 2.6" upper on my stock blower. The Gates K100852 fits perfect. It's now obvious the smaller tensioner pulley was designed so you can clear the crank pulley - especially if you have the IW. You can't do that with the stock 72mm tensioner pulley. I don't believe the spring is any stronger than stock, though you can turn the tensioner spring further while using shorter belts. That in itself will make things more taut. And it has a 1/2" ratchet fitting instead of 3/8" which will be less likely to get buggered up.

Now I have a brand new K100891 for sale. :doh2: Any takers?

Here's a couple pics showing clearance between tensioner pulley and lower IW using Gates K100852 85" belt. I wonder if the stock 81" belt will fit as well - and make it even tighter...

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa282/jhe12345/DSC05369.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa282/jhe12345/DSC05365.jpg

badboy500
06-10-2010, 01:55 AM
On the Gates #'s This is what I found as far as belt sizes. The HD is the green fleetrunner micro v

K100810 HD =81.0"
K100852 HD =85.2"
K100860 HD =86.0"
K100879 HD =87.9"
K100891 HD =89.1"

In the non HD Micro v ..................................

K100810
K100852
K100891
Thats all I could find.

Birdman
06-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Whipple 2.9....??? What happened to ypur KB 2.8 ?

GT500FLYBOY
06-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Whipple 2.9....??? What happened to ypur KB 2.8 ?

Never had one...

GT500FLYBOY
06-10-2010, 11:49 AM
On the Gates #'s This is what I found as far as belt sizes. The HD is the green fleetrunner micro v

K100810 HD =81.0"
K100852 HD =85.2"
K100860 HD =86.0"
K100879 HD =87.9"
K100891 HD =89.1"

In the non HD Micro v ..................................

K100810
K100852
K100891
Thats all I could find.

Here's a good source for them - prices ain't bad. Which in your case, it's a bad site and the prices are bad, too. Which is good. Are we clear?

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/belts-heavy-duty-fleet-runner-reg----micro-v-reg--belts.html

Amazon has them cheaper...gonna order me one now...

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-K100852HD-V-Belt/dp/B002R89BEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1276170670&sr=8-1

badboy500
06-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Here's a good source for them - prices ain't bad. Which in your case, it's a bad site and the prices are bad, too. Which is good. Are we clear?

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/belts-heavy-duty-fleet-runner-reg----micro-v-reg--belts.html

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-K100852HD-V-Belt/dp/B002R89BEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1276170670&sr=8-1

Good find, Thanks. NAPA is 10 bucks more.

Iceman
06-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Thanks - I'll buy that belt soon and be able to feel better :)

Iceman
06-13-2010, 12:10 AM
I ordered the 852 HD today. The supplier I use locally had one in the warehouse so it will be here Monday. I have to wait for my spare a few days though. I am excited to be able to pop the 3" back on top :)

MrFarmDog
06-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I love this thread! I have the Steeda adjustable upper but have not installed it yet. I think I am going to send my 3 inch to get the carbonite coating and then slap it on!

Iceman
06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
just got the new belt. I went with the 85 7/8ths size feeling that I run OK now with the bigger belt but it's a bit loose and it was way too loose on the 3" upper so by removing 4" off the length of the belt I think I'll be in good shape....not to mention all other sizes take longer to get :(

Anyway this one is the HD version. It's actually green, not just a little stripe.

Iceman
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
This head ache lives on for me. I fought and fought but the 852HD is not going to fit with my set up. It's a bit too short and even with the tentioner set all the way off it won't go on??? I'm going to ordr one of each:

K100860 HD =86.0"
K100879 HD =87.9"

And try them as I think either will work. The 852 said it was 85 7/8 on the wrap so maybe the 87 is less than above and/or the 86 is more fiven it would only be an 8th inch longer. I suspect I could make the 852 work with the 3" upper but I don't want to have to drive around on that. I'm hoping to get one belt that works on differnt pulley sizes.

GT500FLYBOY
06-16-2010, 05:02 PM
This head ache lives on for me. I fought and fought but the 852HD is not going to fit with my set up. It's a bit too short and even with the tentioner set all the way off it won't go on??? I'm going to ordr one of each:

K100860 HD =86.0"
K100879 HD =87.9"

And try them as I think either will work. The 852 said it was 85 7/8 on the wrap so maybe the 87 is less than above and/or the 86 is more fiven it would only be an 8th inch longer. I suspect I could make the 852 work with the 3" upper but I don't want to have to drive around on that. I'm hoping to get one belt that works on differnt pulley sizes.

That's a shame - I suspect you have the KB 2.8? That must sit a little bit higher than my Whipple 2.9. That makes sense - the K100891 was too loose for me where it worked for you. The 852 fits perfect with the 3.25 upper on the Whipple - 3" should be no problem.

Iceman
06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
**** it - I hit the wrong button again and lost my post :doh2:

The little country shop I use to order these things from had to call gates directly as they didn't have either in stock, in the warehouse, or in any other branches. I get them from a place called advantage auto parts in Noblesville, IN. I opted just to go with the 879 figuring that it will take up a bit over an inch of slack and then the tensioner will be able to do more of it's job still. I'll be ticked if it's too long but given the 891 works ok on the 3.25 I suspect I'll be fine and then will be able to use the 3" upper too and I won't put on anything smaller than that for my purposes.

I'll bring the 852 to orfstock if they won't let me return it (I hope they will). Then if you are there you can just have it unless they let me trade then you are SOL.

Thanks for the leads on the belt numbers. Though not in stock anyplace it has really made this possible as they just call gates and get them sent and I should have it on Friday for a fun sat. morning. I may break down and go to the shop if the weather is nice. My fatness does not like doing these belt changes!

Iceman
06-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Darn belt still not in

:mad:

badboy500
06-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Like I said,....The 879 is the belt to use with the KB 3'' upper 10% lower the thumper and the KB aug(90mm) and the Metco 90mm aug pulley. I put this on and it is just right. Oh, she came from GA where they have lots of them.

If I were to use the stock aug and the Metco 90mm aug with the 2 7/8 or 2 3/4 on the KB the 860 would fit good also,A touch on the tight side but will work.

I bet when you put the 879 on your prob is no more.

Good luck.

Iceman
06-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Well, still no belt.

I called today and found out it is on back order through Gates. They couldn't find me any in KY or GA where I guess they ship from. Who knows when I'll see them but more than likely I'll be driving with a bigger pulley and longer belt than I would like to Orfstock.....but I won't have a brake squeak!

Iceman
06-29-2010, 07:00 PM
My belts are in now finally!

I will pick them up and get changed asap. I am excited as I was slipping the belt anytime I stepped on it at orfstock. I could feel it and when I let off it would scratch for a second. The car ran good though even with the long belt on there.

Soon enough I'll know if this is the ticket or if I need to look at changing somthing else.

Iceman
07-01-2010, 03:29 AM
At long last - now I just need time to put the belt on

Iceman
07-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Still getting to it - may hav to wait until after vacation. I have not even hosed down th car from the drive home yet....Puppy and work have been busy busy busy!

Iceman
07-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Done - the 879 fits like a glve with the 3.25 upper. I know bad by has it n the 3.0 to s I am set now. It is green andugly but it is tight andthe car drives bettr with th tight belt. Itwas a nice drive t and home from ordering other parts I have lost throughout coling system mods. I am getting closr to being complt again!

Gr8snkbite
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
cool beans dude...