PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my 67

eclipseb2k2
11-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Okay, so after several months of waiting I FINALLY got my 67 from the states. As I was driving it I started to hear some funny noises from the front end. I got out and this is what i saw. It is bascially the bar that goes from the front suspension to mounts on a cross member (for lack of a better term) under the radiator. there is no damage to the frame but I am not sure what the part I need to replace is called..... pictures below.

Sorry the pictures are not so good, it is hard for my big self to get under there

The Bone
11-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Looks to me like its the cross piece that connects that bar to the lower A frame in the wheel. I dont think it has a name but it is not a part that you can buy from a parts house. You have to call a guy that has wrecked Mustangs and get the part from him. it is welded to the cross member under the radiator. You need that piece welded in by a professional who knows how to set this part in correctly.
It has to do with the support of the front A frame. If you have to drive this car to a shop to have it fixed dont jam on the brakes or you may fold the tire up under the car. The A frames dont look very beefy to me. i have a 68
Welcome Home How long have you been gone?

Carnut
11-21-2012, 04:40 AM
I had to look at the pics several times and agree with the Bone. I think it is the lower radiator core support. I think you can get a reproduction piece at Mac Mustang Parts, they are online.

Here is link. http://macsautoparts.com/campaign_product.asp?camid=MUS&pn=JS0R3CHL1109998

eclipseb2k2
11-21-2012, 05:29 AM
thanks guys...... looks like I will have to find a shop here that can fix it as I probably shouldn't weld frame parts I will try to get some better pictures

The Bone
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
I had to look at the pics several times and agree with the Bone. I think it is the lower radiator core support. I think you can get a reproduction piece at Mac Mustang Parts, they are online.

Here is link. http://macsautoparts.com/campaign_product.asp?camid=MUS&pn=JS0R3CHL1109998
I looked again and its the piece that holds the rod that goes back to the A frame on the wheel. It is the angle piece that is welded to the frame under the radiator support.

68fastback
11-21-2012, 06:45 PM
:yikes: ...that's a *really* important piece if it's the one that that the lower arm locator link is anchored to

...the link itself is also prone to cracking where the second bolt goes into the lower arm (fortunately it's a separate piece and easily replaced) so be sure to check that carefully after the strut locator is repaired.
The pass-side one on my '68 failed one day when I hit the brakes :surprised: ...good thing I was not going fast and the wheel tucked back against the chassis and acted as a 'skid.' The upper A-arm is pretty tough but that lower assembly is prone to various problems.