PDA

View Full Version : Down to 2 choices for an aftermarket head unit

Quagmire
05-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Hopefully Joker will chime in here, but I'm up for everyone's thoughts on this as well.

I've decided against going the Sync route. I'd have to downgrade to the Shaker 500 head unit and by the time you add up the cost of the radio, Sync unit and installation you're looking at $1,600. Not worth it for a non-touch screen system, IMO.

So...

The Z110BT that Joker recommended in a previous thread is being phased out. You can still find it and the price is right (~ $900) but I've been looking at the new models. The upgraded feature sets and interfaces are much nicer, IMHO.

Right now I'm looking at 2 specific units, the AVIC-Z120BT (successor to the Z110BT), and the AVH-P4200DVD. The Z120BT is a full featured touch screen nav unit with bluetooth and media connectivity (DVD, SD, iPhone, USB). Very nice system, but pricey. The P4200DVD is a Multimedia A/V receiver only (DVD, SD, iPhone, USB), no nav or bluetooth. You can add both capabilities by buying add on units though.

Z120BT: Great interface, does everything you could ask for, incl. voice commands. Expensive, but if you absolutely have to have nav functionality, I think this is the way to go. $1,400.
First Look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbQSYpKawM

Various videos
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=AVIC-Z120BT&aq=f
P4200DVD: Amazingly nice interface. Fully customizable and easy to use. It'll even display album art when an iPod/iPhone is connected as the source. $495.
Decent Overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNRu3DVM0aM

5 Part Review
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36LSRkmYFrM
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5301Z-6Dw
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjX3_lZcjY
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13eG4ep6qHo
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJDZPwARC8

Parking Brake Bypass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo

iPhone Control Demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIgfC9-yiKU
If you need bluetooth connectivity, you can buy the CD-BTB200 unit which connects to the head unit and provides hands-free calling and bluetooth audio streaming. $179.
Adding Bluetooth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZeGZxwxKt8

Bluetooth audio streaming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9EIbXiQL5U
You can add nav to the P4200DVD with the AVIC-U220, but the price is $400 and the functionality is not as nice as the nav head units.

Summary: If you absolutely NEED nav, get a full up nav head unit. Otherwise, look at one of the Multimedia A/V receivers and add a bluetooth unit. At this point, I'm looking at $1,400 vs. $675 and trying to decide if I really NEED nav and voice commands.

What do you think? I'm open to any thoughts, criticism and advice.

Thanks!

Quagmire
05-31-2010, 06:49 AM
After spending most of Saturday and all of Sunday researching and evaluating, I finally reached a decision. Hooray!

Pioneer AVIC-X920BT (http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_130AVIC920/Pioneer-AVIC-X920BT.html)

Even came with a free set of speakers (Pioneer Premier TS-A702C) and a Pioneer iPhone cable. Dunno what I'll do with the speakers, I don't think they fit the Mustang.

In the end, I had to have nav. Otherwise I would have gone with the AVH-P4200DVD with the CD-BTB200 blue tooth add on. I spent quite a bit of time agonizing over the AVIC-Z120BT, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to spend $1,400 on a head unit.

I think the X920BT will fit the bill nicely. Nav, BT, voice commands, multimedia - DVD, SD, USB. Everything I wanted, with a nice touch screen user interface.

Joe G
05-31-2010, 07:22 AM
That looks nice.

I don't use my current system enough (~6 mo/year due to weather, typically on the weekends due to work travel) to worry about all the bells & whistles I'm missing, but someone like you who drives it a lot I can see why the upgraded system is necessary.

Take lots of pics of the install. Looking forward to your feedback after. :tiphat:

Joe G
05-31-2010, 07:24 AM
I just noticed this...

"The ECO Graphs function even lets you keep track of your carbon emissions and gas mileage when you're taking a trip."

:rofl:

I guess this must be the Al Gore edition.

Quagmire
05-31-2010, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I'm not especially worried about that function. :doh2:

I did just order a Pioneer backup camera, a 16GB microSDHC card and a 32GB thumb drive though. Between those two drives, I can put most of my digital music library on this thing.

Thanks, Joe!

Birdman
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Looks like a great choice Quag...Be sure to take pics of the install for us . I may be going this route myself later on. :wtg:

Quagmire
05-31-2010, 04:21 PM
If I can find instructions on removing the stock radio I'll probably do the install myself. If I do I'll take pictures.

I think I'm going to remove the key lock in the trunk and place the back-up camera there. RayMan on the fordgt500 forum did this and it is a really clean looking install. Not looking forward to routing that video cable all the way back through the car though. I'm hoping that I can mount the new GPS antenna under the dash where the stock antenna is located now, we'll see.

It's amazing how you can see something on another car and decide that you have to have it on yours. This won't be as slick as the Sync package on my wife's car, as there are no steering wheel controls, but it'll be close enough.

You know... You can buy a wired remote control harness for these units. They are commonly used to wire the units up to the steering wheel control. If you had a 2010 steering wheel and a wiring diagram I bet you could wire the controls up to the radio. That'd be way too expensive and would probably screw up the airbag and cruise control though.

Joker
06-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Sorry for the late reply. Check the website http://avic411.com/ for more information.

Unless they have increased the speed of the X900 series, let me give you a heads up. While it is a great deck and I had it for over a year, it is in no way comparable to the Z110 or Z120. My bluetooth on my X900BT took about 90 seconds to connect. Now it takes about 20-30 seconds. Everything is faster on the Z110. Boot-up, Nav etc.

Also according to the AVIC website, the Z110 and Z120 are essentially the same with different software. A software upgrade will be available for the Z110 down the road. I didn't read all of the info, but I wanted to let you know.

Also, there are cheaper places to buy it then Crutchfield.

Quagmire
06-02-2010, 05:20 AM
OK, I've been scouring the internet looking for info on this installation. I quickly realized that things have progressed a bit since the last time I installed a head unit in a car. Used to just be power, speaker wires, antenna lead. It's a little more complicated these days.

To properly install a Nav based head unit, you need to tie in to the following wires:

VSS: Vehicle Speed Pulse Sensor. Lets the nav system use "dead reckoning" to show the vehicle position if the satellite lock is lost.
RAP: Retained Accessory Power. Allows the head unit to stay on for 10 minutes, or until a door is opened, whichever happens 1st.
Parking Brake: Safety feature. You can only watch video or set a nav destination when the parking brake is set, so you have to tap the parking break sensor. You can bypass this, but that's another discussion entirely.
Backup Light: If you're installing a backup camera you'll need to tap this wire as well. It will allow the head unit to automatically switch the display to the backup camera video when the reverse lights are lit.

The key to all of this seems to be selecting the correct wiring harness adapter. You can use an inexpensive adapter like the Metra 70-5521, but then you have to go wire hunting under the dash for the special wires listed above. Or you can go with a harness made specifically for the data bus on our cars, like the PAC C2R-FRD1. It's more expensive (a lot more), but Crutchfield sells it at a 50% discount if you buy the head unit from them (I did). Make sure you select a harness that supports an amplified system.

There are other issues to work around, like installing a 5vdc regulator in the external amp turn on wire between the head unit and the Shaker amp to keep the door subs from popping at turn on. You may also want to add a relay to supply high current RAP power (using the 1 amp RAP line on the C2R-FRD1 as a trigger) so that you don't have to worry about how much power you're drawing when you turn the car off.

At any rate, I'm almost to the point where I'm comfortable doing this. Hope to have everything nailed down by the time the equipment arrives later this week. I'll let you know how it goes. Worst case, I pay a shop to do it. Shouldn't need to do so though.

C2R-FRD1 wiring harness diagram (http://www.installer.com/pdf/c2r-frd1.pdf).

Oh, taking the center console apart to get to the radio? Piece of cake. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFk6GtzGi0) I hope.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFk6GtzGi0)

Joker
06-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Taking the center console apart takes about 5 minutes. Remove shift knob, 2 screws on the back inside of center console behind storage space on the top. Remove it and lay it to the side. Then pop off the plastic panels on both sides of the deck and now you have access to everything.

Quagmire
06-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Joker: The X920BT has the same OS as the Z110BT (confirmed by Pioneer). It isn't anything like the X900BT. Performance is on par with the Z110BT, and it has the new user interface. Boot time is ~ 15 seconds. There are lots of videos on youtube that showcase the new features.

I know the Z110BT will supposedly be updated to the new user interface, but I bet it won't be any time soon. They have Z120BT units to sell first.

Thanks.

Joker
06-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Joker: The X920BT has the same OS as the Z110BT (confirmed by Pioneer). It isn't anything like the X900BT. Performance is on par with the Z110BT, and it has the new user interface. Boot time is ~ 15 seconds. There are lots of videos on youtube that showcase the new features.

I know the Z110BT will supposedly be updated to the new user interface, but I bet it won't be any time soon. They have Z120BT units to sell first.

Thanks.

Same OS as the Z110BT but not the same hardware. Otherwise it would be the same deck almost. Not knocking your choice. Just wanted to make sure that they had fixed the issues I was talking about on the 900 series. I haven't read up on the new series decks at all. I'm not in the market for one and was not even aware of the Z120BT until you posted it. :tiphat:

Let me know how you like it once you get it in please.

Quagmire
06-03-2010, 02:40 AM
NP. Sorry if my post last night was a little antagonistic. It was late and I was tired. No worries.

I did a lot of research before settling on this unit, incl. reading a bunch of posts on avic911. I really like the new interface on the Z920 and Z120 units, it's a big change from the previous generation. I'd have gone with the Z110 if I could be sure about the software update, just to get the larger screen at a lower price.

The X920 got a host of features and hardware from the Z110. The previous X series ran a version of Windows CE while the Z110 ran a faster OS (Pioneer developed?). The New X920 got the Z110 OS, customizable home screen, voice activated navigation, and a bunch of other features from the Z110. Even little things like the connector pinouts on the back of the unit come straight from the Z110. It doesn't have the nice large motorized screen though.

It should arrive tomorrow. I'll get the adapter wiring harness wired up on Friday and the unit installed on Saturday. Kind of sweating the rear view camera install ATM, still have some research to do on the best way to run the video cable through the car.

Thanks Joker, I appreciate the help.

VaporDude
06-03-2010, 02:59 AM
It sounds like you are going to keep your existing speakers. I was thinking of getting a different head unit for the better quality sound. Let me know how it sounds when your done.

GP500SU
06-03-2010, 04:10 AM
It sounds like you are going to keep your existing speakers. I was thinking of getting a different head unit for the better quality sound. Let me know how it sounds when your done.

Which raises the question is it worth it even to just replace the head unit and not the speakers?

VaporDude
06-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Which raises the question is it worth it even to just replace the head unit and not the speakers?

I replaced the head unit in my old 05 GT. It had the Shaker 500 and it really improved the sound quality. It had a better response across all the bands. Now with the Shaker 1000, it should sound even better.

Quagmire
06-03-2010, 04:24 AM
My plan is to replace the head unit, then replace the stock speakers with Kicker speakers, the same ones sold in the Shelby Store. SteelTownStang posted the P/Ns a month or so ago, and you can find them pretty cheaply on ebay.

VaporDude, I'll let you know if the head unit helps sound quality with the stock speakers.

Joker
06-03-2010, 04:47 AM
I replaced the head unit in my old 05 GT. It had the Shaker 500 and it really improved the sound quality. It had a better response across all the bands. Now with the Shaker 1000, it should sound even better.

Replacing the stock head unit will help the sound. All depends on what you want the finished product to sound like and what your happy with. Sound is very subjective. What sounds good to one person will sound like crap to another. That's what makes it so hard. There is no hard and fast rule for sound quality.

Joker
06-03-2010, 04:48 AM
NP. Sorry if my post last night was a little antagonistic. It was late and I was tired. No worries.

I did a lot of research before settling on this unit, incl. reading a bunch of posts on avic911. I really like the new interface on the Z920 and Z120 units, it's a big change from the previous generation. I'd have gone with the Z110 if I could be sure about the software update, just to get the larger screen at a lower price.

The X920 got a host of features and hardware from the Z110. The previous X series ran a version of Windows CE while the Z110 ran a faster OS (Pioneer developed?). The New X920 got the Z110 OS, customizable home screen, voice activated navigation, and a bunch of other features from the Z110. Even little things like the connector pinouts on the back of the unit come straight from the Z110. It doesn't have the nice large motorized screen though.

It should arrive tomorrow. I'll get the adapter wiring harness wired up on Friday and the unit installed on Saturday. Kind of sweating the rear view camera install ATM, still have some research to do on the best way to run the video cable through the car.

Thanks Joker, I appreciate the help.

No worries. I had no idea about the OS switch. Glad to hear it. Should make it alot better. Can't wait to hear your feedback once your done.

Quagmire
06-05-2010, 04:51 AM
I got the adapter harness wired up this afternoon and installed the unit this evening. I have to admit to a bit of trepidation when I performed the initial smoke check, but it powered up with no problems. I have everything hooked up and working, but I haven't run the backup camera wiring to the rear of the car yet. It's just laying in the passenger floorboard ATM. I just set the GPS antenna on the top of the deck. It's magnetic so it isn't going anywhere, and it seems to work well enough there. Retained accessory power works just like the factory unit. I did wire in a 30 amp SPST relay to provide high(er) current 12vdc accessory power instead of the default 1 amp supplied by the adapter harness. Probably wasn't necessary, but it was easy to do and it's cheap peace of mind.

Boot time is ~ 15 seconds. Bluetooth connectivity takes another 15-20 seconds after that. Not nearly as fast as the Sync system on my wife's car, but I can live with it.

Everything works as advertised - hands free phone and nav, music, video, and backup camera. The interface is amazingly nice. From big things like the way you scroll through music and video to little things like the radio station info display.

I tried a little bit of everything. Voice commands ("Find the nearest McDonalds", "Call Home") worked great. Listened to music from a thumb drive and from my iPhone. It was really nice to see the album art on the screen (only there when listening to music on the iPod). It does play wma lossless encoded music. Watched a little bit of a movie that I had on the iPhone, and it played perfectly.

Transferred the phonebook from my iPhone to the nav unit. You can scroll through it with the flick of a finger or jump around through the alphabet to find aan entry faster. Sound quality when making a phone call is really nice. Very clear. I mounted the microphone on the back part of the steering wheel, just below the center gauge cluster. It works well and isn't obtrusive. The mic wire runs straight back into the dash and is invisible.

VaporDude: When I first fired it up the audio quality sounded better, but not remarkably so. Then I started playing with the settings. Moved the fade settings two positions back towards the rear, then played with the sound staging. HOLY COW, what a difference. I have it set on "dynamic theater" right now and it sounds AMAZING. I can't wait to get some decent speakers in the car.

The only down sides so far are the cheapness of the faceplate mounting kit and the USB interface cabling. I'm going to have to find another faceplate kit, as this one is butt-ugly to me. I guess there's a reason why Crutchfield gives them away for free. As for the USB cabling, there's no means provided to mount the connector flush with the inside wall of the center console storage. I just opened up the access panel in the storage area and ran the cable in through there. I'll have to find a better solution, but it'll do for now.

Also, the stock nav unit is a Pioneer unit. AVIC-XD1377ZF. I was really surprised to see that when I pulled it out of the dash.

GP500SU
06-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Replacing the stock head unit will help the sound. All depends on what you want the finished product to sound like and what your happy with. Sound is very subjective. What sounds good to one person will sound like crap to another. That's what makes it so hard. There is no hard and fast rule for sound quality.

Very true. I need to get some sound deadening in before I upgrade. I've heard John's car with the hushmat just driving but not the sound system. In my car I hear a lot of tire and wind noise so maybe the stock unit is adequate if the ambient is quieter.

Joker, too bad we don't live closer so I could hear yours.

Quagmire
06-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Just for fun I found a tiffany cobra logo on the net and turned it into an 800x480 splash screen.

http://www.getthefrakout.net/gt500/cobra_splash.jpg

Displays while the unit is booting and looks pretty good. I need to remove the Shelby logo though, all I want is the snake.

Well, I did the best I could with my meager graphics skills to remove the logo. Made the image the correct resolution too.

VaporDude
06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the update and review. I figured it would sound much better with an aftermarket unit. I bet you have a lot better bass response now. I think I might have to do this upgrade as a winter project this year and to hush mat my trunk and rear seat area.

Joker
06-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Very true. I need to get some sound deadening in before I upgrade. I've heard John's car with the hushmat just driving but not the sound system. In my car I hear a lot of tire and wind noise so maybe the stock unit is adequate if the ambient is quieter.

Joker, too bad we don't live closer so I could hear yours.

Sound deadening will make a big difference. I have no rattles in my car driving or listening to loud music. Road-wind noise is greatly reduced. If your ever out my way, let me know and we can get together for a demo.

Joker
06-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Update is out for the Z110BT. $200 bones! I'm calling my guy to day to see when he will have it.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/Navigation/Map-Updates/ci.CNSD-110FM.Shop

Glad you got yours in Quagmire. Hopefully you are still loving it and now you have some seat time in it.

Quagmire
06-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice, Joker, you're really going to like the new interface.

I'm liking mine very much. The head unit alone made a big difference in sound quality. Now I need to replace the stock speakers. Any recommendations on that besides the Kicker speakers?

Yesterday I moved the GPS antenna from the top of the head unit (where I was getting 0 bars of signal strength) to the top of an air duct just under the center of the dash. Now I have 2 out of 3 bars and went from 4 satellites to 8. Much better.

Today I finished the backup camera install. Ran the wiring down the passenger side into the trunk. Pulling the interior panels and rear seat cushion was cake, much easier than I'd feared it would be.

I initially mounted the camera in place of the key lock, but it's a wide angle camera and looking out through the key hole was like looking through a porthole, could only see a small area directly behind the center of the car. Ended up running the camera out through a grommet in the bottom of the trunk, up behind the bumper fascia and out through the license plate light opening. It is attached at the top of the license plate area, right next to the light. I had to cut a small groove at the edge of the opening with a round file to keep the cable from being squashed, but that was easy to do. The camera is small and you won't see it unless you're looking for it.

The camera is designed to be mounted externally, so it should hold up to the elements. We'll have to wait and see. At any rate, I now have a beautiful wide angle view from the rear bumper when reversing, and I can set the nav display to show the camera view on part of the screen during normal driving. That ought to be nice for watching opponents fall behind, if nothing else. :)

Yeah, I'm really happy with everything right now.

Vette Killer
06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I'm not especially worried about that function. :doh2:

I did just order a Pioneer backup camera, a 16GB microSDHC card and a 32GB thumb drive though. Between those two drives, I can put most of my digital music library on this thing.

Thanks, Joe!

That is an awesome feature...my 2009 HD F350 has the hard drive nav system from Ford and it is great to be able to load all of your CDs on it; between that and having my iPod hooked up with Sync I have access to about 2500 songs...awesome for long drives

Joker
06-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Nice, Joker, you're really going to like the new interface.

I'm liking mine very much. The head unit alone made a big difference in sound quality. Now I need to replace the stock speakers. Any recommendations on that besides the Kicker speakers?

Yesterday I moved the GPS antenna from the top of the head unit (where I was getting 0 bars of signal strength) to the top of an air duct just under the center of the dash. Now I have 2 out of 3 bars and went from 4 satellites to 8. Much better.

Today I finished the backup camera install. Ran the wiring down the passenger side into the trunk. Pulling the interior panels and rear seat cushion was cake, much easier than I'd feared it would be.

I initially mounted the camera in place of the key lock, but it's a wide angle camera and looking out through the key hole was like looking through a porthole, could only see a small area directly behind the center of the car. Ended up running the camera out through a grommet in the bottom of the trunk, up behind the bumper fascia and out through the license plate light opening. It is attached at the top of the license plate area, right next to the light. I had to cut a small groove at the edge of the opening with a round file to keep the cable from being squashed, but that was easy to do. The camera is small and you won't see it unless you're looking for it.

The camera is designed to be mounted externally, so it should hold up to the elements. We'll have to wait and see. At any rate, I now have a beautiful wide angle view from the rear bumper when reversing, and I can set the nav display to show the camera view on part of the screen during normal driving. That ought to be nice for watching opponents fall behind, if nothing else. :)

Yeah, I'm really happy with everything right now.

Very nice. I'm going to wait a few weeks on the upgrade just to see what happens. I'm in no rush for the new maps and interface. Plus I'm getting the new iPhone 4 in 2 weeks.

I mounted my GPS antenna on the passneger side dash by the window. You can barely see it and I get great reception all the time like you do now.

Quagmire
06-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah, let the early adopters test the upgrade out for you. :)

Assuming I can find one, I'm getting the iPhone 4 on release day as well. Can't wait!

Joker
06-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Yep! I've done enough testing for everyone else. Time to sit back for a couple of weeks.

As for your door speaker upgrade that you asked about (sorry I missed it the first time), I'm running Hertz Audio. I love them. In reality it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Once you start upgrading sound, then if your like me, it becomes a real job as one thing that you upgrade reveals an issue in anouther area and so on. I'm still not 100% happy with mine, but it's still the best system I have ever had. I start nit picking stuff and want small tweaks on the tunning. But at this stage it takes time.

Quagmire
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I think I'll be happy with just replacing the four 2-way speakers with the Shaker speakers. More ambitious would be adding a rear sub, along with new crossovers for the rear so you get more than just mid and bass out of the rear speakers. I'll have to think about it.

Joker
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I think I'll be happy with just replacing the four 2-way speakers with the Shaker speakers. More ambitious would be adding a rear sub, along with new crossovers for the rear so you get more than just mid and bass out of the rear speakers. I'll have to think about it.

If your talking about the door speakers and upgrading to the ones they use in the shaker 1000 vs. the 500, the door speakers are the same. The sub is the only thing that is different in the 1000.

Best way that I know of to check out speakers, is to listen to the differences in the display models. It's definately the cheapest way to do it vs. buying them then trying them out.

If you were refering to the kicker stuff that's for sale, I haven't heard any of it so I can't comment on the sound of those speakers.

Quagmire
06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I meant the Kicker KS680 2-way speakers in the Shelby Kicker audio upgrade. I don't know why I said Shaker in my post. At any rate, you can get sets of the KS680s for a decent price on ebay.

I haven't heard them either.

Joker
06-12-2010, 08:29 PM
No matter what, I'm sure they sound better then the stock stuff. Those stock speakers were junk.

JTB
06-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I meant the Kicker KS680 2-way speakers in the Shelby Kicker audio upgrade. I don't know why I said Shaker in my post. At any rate, you can get sets of the KS680s for a decent price on ebay.

I haven't heard them either.

They are cheap here too: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/6670244/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046?gclid=CL6Im4Gtm6ICFRRM5QodRE-oyw

But they are not Plug and Play like the Shelby Kicker ones.

Quagmire
06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
That is a good price, I wonder what the blemishes are?

You need the Metra 72-5600 wiring adapters. You can find them for ~ $10. SteelTownStang posted about them a while back.

Joe G
06-13-2010, 02:51 AM
... between that and having my iPod hooked up with Sync I have access to about 2500 songs...awesome for long drives

2500 songs??

That'll take you for one HECK of a "long drive"!! :grin:

Birdman
06-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I currently have a lifetime subscription to Sirius Sat Radio. The question I have is do I need some kind of seperate add on unit to revieve sat radio or can this be done through this head unit without an add on?

I read this on their web site but don't quite understand what it means.

"More entertainment options
Connect audio sources through the USB input, SD card slot, or audio/video inputs. Tap into the variety of SIRIUS/XM radio with a satellite radio tuner, or add Pioneer's HD Radio™ tuner to enjoy the crystal-clear sound and extra programming from participating stations.

Check out your video DVDs on the on the receiver's screen when the car is parked, or connect a rear-seat video screen so your passengers can enjoy the show while you drive. Plug in a rear-view camera to the dedicated input and feel more secure when backing up in tight spaces. "

Quagmire
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
AFAIK, the Surius tuner in our cars is built into the head unit. When you install an aftermarket head unit you'll have to buy the Sirius universal tuner and, in the case of a Pioneer unit, the Pioneer Sirius interface bus unit. They're cheap, I think it's ~ $60-70 for both. I don't know what using Sirius on the Pioneer head unit is like, but you can probably find lots of feedback on the avic411 forum.

I decided not to get them as, like Vette Killer, I have more music than I'll ever listen to in digital format. I ripped my entire CD collection then encoded the .wav files into VBR .mp3 format for mobile devices and lossless .wma for the HTPC. I didn't see the point in paying for a service I ended up not using very often.

I also ripped my DVD/Blu-Ray collection and have encoded most of the ripped DVDs into .m4v format for playing on my iPhone using Handbrake. These also play on the X920BT.

VaporDude
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
They do make adapters for the AUX port on the 2005+ Shaker units. You will still need to buy the aftermarket tuner.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469FRD4AUX/Precision-Interface-Electronics-FRD04-AUX-Adapter.html?tp=1672

Here are some of the satellite tuner options:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_250150/Dock-and-Play-Satellite-Radios.html?tp=85

Quagmire
06-13-2010, 06:24 PM
This is what I was talking about needing to have Sirius connected to a Pioneer head unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRPION/SiriusConnect-Pioneer-Package.html?tp=28024

I think you can get them cheaper elsewhere though.

JTB
06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
This is what I was talking about needing to have Sirius connected to a Pioneer head unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRPION/SiriusConnect-Pioneer-Package.html?tp=28024

I think you can get them cheaper elsewhere though.

I'm shocked a HU of this stature would not come with Sirius Functionality. A :redcard: too for the $200 cost of the firmware and interface update for the previous gen. unit.

If you are looking for bass, I highly recommend this Rockford Fosgate unit made for the S197 stangs, fits on the pass. side of the trunk and still allows for two sets of clubs in the trunk and most importanly sounds great, it was one of my first mods to the factory NAV unit.

http://www.buyspeedparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/4/-/4-13ASaleen016.jpg

Quagmire
06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
None of them do. They'd have to make two different versions of every head unit - one with Sirius and one with XM. Maybe in the future when Sirius/XM starts making one receiver that works for both networks, but who knows when that will be.

If it had come with Sirius I'd have used it, but I didn't want it badly enough to purchase the extra hardware.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sub, it looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

JTB
06-14-2010, 01:55 AM
None of them do. They'd have to make two different versions of every head unit - one with Sirius and one with XM. Maybe in the future when Sirius/XM starts making one receiver that works for both networks, but who knows when that will be.

If it had come with Sirius I'd have used it, but I didn't want it badly enough to purchase the extra hardware.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sub, it looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

Why is that? XM and Sirius are the same company now.

Quagmire
06-14-2010, 02:48 AM
li know that, but they still make Sirius and XM receivers.