PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Mustang Touchy Feely

Carnut
10-05-2014, 03:21 PM
I've been reading everything I come across on the 2015 Mustang, longing to actually see one up close and personal. Yesterday, I finally got my chance, my dealer had a car show and was able to display one.

It was a dark silver GT Premium without the performance pack and was pretty well loaded and was an automatic but who cares, the keys were hidden in some Ford employees pocket. There was the obvious crowd around the car and you had to wait you turn to sit in it and so seat time was limited.

My first look around the outside was one of "nice", the design was truly Mustang. The rear looks more muscular, every line just flowed well and there was no sharp angularity at the rear fascia as 2 D pictures allude to. The sides nicely tie the front and rear together well, every line seems properly proportioned and aligned. The front was more of a relief, in that, it wasn't a Fusion nose like I was afraid it might be. It is decidedly Mustang, with the inner grille and lower fascia negating the Fusion shape of the grille surround.

In person, your eye ties all the pieces together, in perspective and in 3 dimensions. The individual design elements then make sense in the one harmonious piece. You then see the soul of the design.

This car did not have the Recaro seat option. The "standard" seats had a lot of side bolster, more than previous models I think, or at least the way it felt. The ergonomics were great for me. The steering well and pedal positions were just in the right place, same for the shifter. As reported, the cupholders in the console have been reposition of the way of natural shifting hand sweep, so the Big Gulp should not get knocked out of the holder. I liked everything on the dash, the added toggle switches felt like a real switch, not some cheesy E Bay bargain. There is plenty of glitz, bright chrome and aluminum, nicer looking materials all around.

Lots of people were waiting to sit in and I didn't want to embarrass myself by making engine sounds, so I gave it up early.

My biggest impression? This car looks so much better in person. You have to see it before you decide you don't like parts of the design. You have to do the touchy feely thing on this car.

And no, I didn't take pictures, there were too many people in the way, and they wouldn't be any better than the press pictures.

Grabber
10-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Now I really want to see one because the pic's are not turning me on. Thanks for the good write up.

Joe G
10-06-2014, 03:04 AM
Now I really want to see one because the pic's are not turning me on. Thanks for the good write up.

:iagree:

Good write-up. You should do this professionally.

twobjshelbys
10-06-2014, 04:04 AM
So you gonna order one?

68fastback
10-06-2014, 04:51 AM
I've been reading everything I come across on the 2015 Mustang, longing to actually see one up close and personal. Yesterday, I finally got my chance, my dealer had a car show and was able to display one.

It was a dark silver GT Premium without the performance pack and was pretty well loaded and was an automatic but who cares, the keys were hidden in some Ford employees pocket. There was the obvious crowd around the car and you had to wait you turn to sit in it and so seat time was limited.

My first look around the outside was one of "nice", the design was truly Mustang. The rear looks more muscular, every line just flowed well and there was no sharp angularity at the rear fascia as 2 D pictures allude to. The sides nicely tie the front and rear together well, every line seems properly proportioned and aligned. The front was more of a relief, in that, it wasn't a Fusion nose like I was afraid it might be. It is decidedly Mustang, with the inner grille and lower fascia negating the Fusion shape of the grille surround.

In person, your eye ties all the pieces together, in perspective and in 3 dimensions. The individual design elements then make sense in the one harmonious piece. You then see the soul of the design.

This car did not have the Recaro seat option. The "standard" seats had a lot of side bolster, more than previous models I think, or at least the way it felt. The ergonomics were great for me. The steering well and pedal positions were just in the right place, same for the shifter. As reported, the cupholders in the console have been reposition of the way of natural shifting hand sweep, so the Big Gulp should not get knocked out of the holder. I liked everything on the dash, the added toggle switches felt like a real switch, not some cheesy E Bay bargain. There is plenty of glitz, bright chrome and aluminum, nicer looking materials all around.

Lots of people were waiting to sit in and I didn't want to embarrass myself by making engine sounds, so I gave it up early.

My biggest impression? This car looks so much better in person. You have to see it before you decide you don't like parts of the design. You have to do the touchy feely thing on this car.

And no, I didn't take pictures, there were too many people in the way, and they wouldn't be any better than the press pictures.

100% agree! Nice write-up, Bruce!!

I saw one in the wild about 3 months ago (in CT -- must have been an early build) -- a 5.0 50th edition -- and it is really nice eye candy!

Can't wait to see what they do with the GT350/SVT :grin:

Carnut
10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
So you gonna order one?

We'll see how things shape up financially, maybe this summer. Yes I would definitely like to.

The Bone
10-06-2014, 02:25 PM
If I didn't love my GT500 so much I would lover to get the 15. Its really a sharp looking car. The whole car has been redesigned.

Boston Mike
10-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Now I really want to see one because the pic's Joe and Sharun are not turning me on anymore. Thanks for the good write up.

:ummmmmm:

Carnut
10-06-2014, 09:51 PM
It's funny when people like Monkey Bone Grabber postwhores. Wait, I just postwhored my own tech thread, darn it.

68fastback
10-07-2014, 02:33 AM
:ban:

:giggle:

Boston Mike
10-07-2014, 02:20 PM
It's funny when people like Monkey Bone Grabber postwhores. Wait, I just postwhored my own tech thread, darn it.

sorry, the thread title threw me off. I didn't realize "touchy feely" was a technical term.

Carnut
10-07-2014, 06:07 PM
sorry, the thread title threw me off. I didn't realize "touchy feely" was a technical term.

Think about it. LOL

Or maybe it just wasn't funny.

Grabber
10-08-2014, 01:57 AM
It's funny when people like Monkey get a Boner.... postwhores. Wait, I just postwhored my own tech thread, darn it.

lol

Carnut
10-08-2014, 02:31 AM
:webers:

Boston Mike
10-08-2014, 04:29 PM
lol

Tana never laughs...............

:sofa:

Carnut
10-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Tana laughs...............at Grabber's boner.

:sofa:

:wow2:

Joe G
10-09-2014, 01:30 AM
:wow2:

Joe G
10-09-2014, 01:30 AM
:backontopic:

Carnut
12-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Went back to the dealer last week for a part for the Lincoln.

Sat in more Mustangs, still hate the Recaros, too hard to get in and out of with tweeking backs and hips. Saw the performance pack wheels, design is nice, except they are painted black, ugh. Just for curiosity I checked around, you can get them stripped and powder coat bright silver for under 75 bucks apiece. It would make the car look lots nicer, God I hate black wheels.

Other impressions of the car remained good since the first time I saw one. I bet a set of stripes would really zip it up.

68fastback
12-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Stripes ...! ;-)

Joe G
12-18-2014, 01:43 AM

Sat in more Mustangs, still hate the Recaros, too hard to get in and out of with tweeking backs and hips. Saw the performance pack wheels, design is nice, except they are painted black, ugh. Just for curiosity I checked around, you can get them stripped and powder coat bright silver for under 75 bucks apiece. It would make the car look lots nicer, God I hate black wheels.

Other impressions of the car remained good since the first time I saw one. I bet a set of stripes would really zip it up.

:pics:

Carnut
12-18-2014, 01:47 AM
Well a er, No.

Alloy Dave
12-20-2014, 02:29 AM

Other impressions of the car remained good since the first time I saw one. I bet a set of stripes would really zip it up.I agree, black wheels :redcard:

The $75 is to do the strip and PC only? If so, add another $10/wheel to dismount, and then another $10-15/wheel to mount and balance when done?

Carnut
12-20-2014, 03:48 PM
I agree, black wheels :redcard:

The $75 is to do the strip and PC only? If so, add another $10/wheel to dismount, and then another $10-15/wheel to mount and balance when done?

Yeah you have to add for that. I think polishing them would look good too, but I didn't get a price to do that.

Joe G
12-20-2014, 06:07 PM

:Racist: :trouble:

Dad's72Mach
12-20-2014, 06:21 PM

They just have to be on the right car...... like mine.

Alloy Dave
12-21-2014, 02:57 AM
They just have to be on the right car...... like mine.
I like contrast...and since tires are black, IMO black wheels rarely look good. Maybe someday someone will make a silver tire and then black wheels might look good LOL.

68fastback
12-21-2014, 03:04 AM
...enough contrast? :hiding:

13136 ...cool, man! :biggrin:

Alloy Dave
12-22-2014, 04:14 AM
...enough contrast? :hiding:

13136 ...cool, man! :biggrin:
Yea, I like that.

twobjshelbys
12-22-2014, 04:33 AM
I'm waiting for the convertible

Carnut
03-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm waiting for the convertible

Lots of convertibles out now. Its time.

Carnut
05-15-2016, 01:59 PM
While sitting with my buds at the cruise in last night, a black 2016 gt350 pulled in next to me.

I must admit it looked pretty bad ass. Black, white stripes. It also had the black wheels which I guess is appropriate for the marketed purposes but I still like polished. You can notice differences between it and the regular GT such as the lower nose and air management as well as the cool looking side vents but, the sound of the engine is just plain bad ass. He opened the exhaust up with it idling and the tone got much deeper.

The car had about 40miles in it, so the owner could not really give much of a report on it. He just got back from the Ford Performance driving adventure at Miller in Utah. He loved the school and the VIP treatment he received.

Said he was going the track it. He is a retired stunt plane flyer of many years so I guess he has to get his thrills somehow. I imagine retiring from flying stunt planes for a living leaves quite a gap in the fun column.

Quite an impressive car.

Joe G
05-15-2016, 02:15 PM
While sitting with my buds at the cruise in last night, a black 2016 gt350 pulled in next to me.

I must admit it looked pretty bad ass. Black, white stripes. It also had the black wheels which I guess is appropriate for the marketed purposes but I still like polished. You can notice differences between it and the regular GT such as the lower nose and air management as well as the cool looking side vents but, the sound of the engine is just plain bad ass. He opened the exhaust up with it idling and the tone got much deeper.

The car had about 40miles in it, so the owner could not really give much of a report on it. He just got back from the Ford Performance driving adventure at Miller in Utah. He loved the school and the VIP treatment he received.

Said he was going the track it. He is a retired stunt plane flyer of many years so I guess he has to get his thrills somehow. I imagine retiring from flying stunt planes for a living leaves quite a gap in the fun column.

Quite an impressive car.
:needpics:

Carnut
05-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I don't take my Brownie with me everywhere I go.

Joe G
05-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Sorry, I don't take my Brownie with me everywhere I go.

:nonono:

68fastback
05-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Quite an impressive car.

:drool: <sigh>

I hope they make them into MY'18 else I may never get to drive one since my friend is holding out for ADMs to come down and nobody is budging yet even on pre-order '17s. Then again my buddy has difficulty making decisions and can procrastinate for a loooong time on most anything :doh: lol

Tommy Gun
05-15-2016, 09:37 PM
The GT350 has 2 exhaust tones you can choose, which one did he let you hear? :shades:

68fastback
05-16-2016, 12:57 AM
You mean 'open' and 'closed' settings?

---

I've heard rumors Ford may make them through MY'19 (probably with some refresh along the way). The Mustang refresh has reportedly been moved up from '20 to '19, so makes sense to keep the GT350 as the base for Conti Challenge defender until something new can be moved onto the refreshed Mustang.

Tommy Gun
05-16-2016, 01:34 AM
I don't know what it does, but it sounds cool .

Carnut
05-16-2016, 12:48 PM
The GT350 has 2 exhaust tones you can choose, which one did he let you hear? :shades:

Both, it was an extreme change in sound.

Tommy Gun
05-22-2016, 07:48 PM
:wtg: