PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 trouble code

Alloy Dave
08-18-2015, 01:36 AM
Terry's car (2004 Mazda 3) raised an MIL two weeks ago...code P0455 Evaporative Emissions Control. I reset it...stayed away 2 weeks, came back a couple days ago. During the first MIL, did not run any differently...but the 2nd time it was "hunting" for gears in the trans and was very jerky. But I drove it tonight (before my mojito) and it ran fine. I cleared the code again tonight, will monitor.

Any ideas of the root cause?

Here is a website I found.
http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0455.html

Her car has about 75k miles. I'm pretty sure it's not a gas cap issue...I've been on her about that like Grabber on meatloaf.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to take a look at some of these things.

Tommy Gun
08-18-2015, 01:38 AM
11 years old, check hoses for cracks?

Alloy Dave
08-18-2015, 02:11 AM
11 years old, check hoses for cracks?

:nonono:

YOu should know better...I'd never let a hose on a car get a crack in it.

Tommy Gun
08-18-2015, 02:12 AM
:but:

Alloy Dave
08-18-2015, 02:14 AM
I think this is the likely culprit.

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/purge-valve.html

Carnut
08-18-2015, 02:41 AM
Vacuum leak in evap system.

Alloy Dave
08-18-2015, 02:42 AM
Vacuum leak in evap system.NSS

Carnut
08-18-2015, 02:44 AM
NSS

Buy her a new car cheapskate.

BAYB

Alloy Dave
08-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Buy her a new car cheapskate.

BAYB
I already did. :hide:

Carnut
08-18-2015, 10:30 PM
:wow2:

Tommy Gun
08-18-2015, 10:33 PM

Yet I can't buy a car? :rant:

Lol

Joe G
08-18-2015, 10:42 PM

Lol

1) He saves more $ than you make in a year
2) You have 4x as many vehicles as him
3) His retirement is fully funded... yours??
4) Do as he says, not as he does

Tommy Gun
08-18-2015, 10:48 PM
What is fully funded? :look:

Alloy Dave
08-18-2015, 11:06 PM

LolWe only have 6 cars...need 3 per person lol

Tommy Gun
08-18-2015, 11:12 PM
I only have 3, GT500 Spyder and work van.

Truck is CoPilots, Jeep is the kids, and the piece of crap is Granny's .

HSURB
08-23-2015, 04:20 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

HSURB®

68fastback
08-23-2015, 05:27 PM
:lol:

Alloy Dave
08-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

HSURB®
Must not have happened then.

I ruled out the part I thought was the issue...removed it from the car and tested it. Normally closed valve, and when I applied 9V via a battery, it opened right up every time.

The MIL light came back on yesterday, then went off on its own last night :conspiracy: I thought once a light came on, it stayed on until cleared. :headscratch:

I think we're going to try a new gas cap...reading many of the forums this is a common problem.

68fastback
08-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Must not have happened then.

I ruled out the part I thought was the issue...removed it from the car and tested it. Normally closed valve, and when I applied 9V via a battery, it opened right up every time.

The MIL light came back on yesterday, then went off on its own last night :conspiracy: I thought once a light came on, it stayed on until cleared. :headscratch:

I think we're going to try a new gas cap...reading many of the forums this is a common problem.

Dave, for some conditions, if the condition clears the MIL will go out (for certain systems on Fords anyhow -- evap is one of them) -- dunno for Mazda. The evap system is one of the most complex and the pre-conditions for the self-diagnostic sequences to run can be convoluted (again, on Fords). Evap MILs can drive you nuts -lol- a buddy with a Ranger (newer than mine) took half the truck apart before figuring out some breather valve functioned but was leaking-down just fast enough that it would sometimes not pass the leak-down diagnostic sequence ...and it seemed temperature related but he never was sure. That test apparently only attempts to run after a couple of other things have occurred -- that's apparently done to make sure it's not giving false-positives, as I recall ...was a few years ago.

Alloy Dave
08-25-2015, 01:41 PM
thanks Dan....light still out, I monitor daily

68fastback
08-25-2015, 03:22 PM
thanks Dan....light still out, I monitor daily

Cool! It could have been a fluke... Dave, did it first appear after doing other work on the car? Even overfilling the tank can mess up the evap system and it can take days -- depending on type of usage (e.g. short trips) -- to successfully complete its sequences because it has a bunch of dynamic pre-reqs.

That said, MIL shouldn't have lit in the first place if nothing was disturbed and sequences didn't start (no qualifying usage) -- or even if they started but were aborted (e.g key-off or key-on-engine-off) before completion ...only should MIL if sequence actually failed to end successfully during a qualified (all pre-reqs for all sequences were met) key-on engine-on cycle, as I understand it , i.e. true system problem.

If the MIL was induced due to some disruption then maybe it won't come back. If no disruption, then it likely will come back since that says the qualified sequence actually failed for some reason, whether system leakdown failed (valve leakage and vac hose seepage are probably most common) or some other anomaly (sensor ground/wiring issue).

Who knows, possibly you exercising the evap valve dislodged a piece of crud that was causing an out-of-spec leakdown rate and now that it completed successfully all is good.

Tommy Gun
08-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Good thing Terry's Mazda CRV Pilot RX8 Tribute is 100% again :wtg:

Alloy Dave
08-27-2015, 12:58 AM
Cool! It could have been a fluke... Dave, did it first appear after doing other work on the car? Even overfilling the tank can mess up the evap system and it can take days -- depending on type of usage (e.g. short trips) -- to successfully complete its sequences because it has a bunch of dynamic pre-reqs.

That said, MIL shouldn't have lit in the first place if nothing was disturbed and sequences didn't start (no qualifying usage) -- or even if they started but were aborted (e.g key-off or key-on-engine-off) before completion ...only should MIL if sequence actually failed to end successfully during a qualified (all pre-reqs for all sequences were met) key-on engine-on cycle, as I understand it , i.e. true system problem.

If the MIL was induced due to some disruption then maybe it won't come back. If no disruption, then it likely will come back since that says the qualified sequence actually failed for some reason, whether system leakdown failed (valve leakage and vac hose seepage are probably most common) or some other anomaly (sensor ground/wiring issue).

Who knows, possibly you exercising the evap valve dislodged a piece of crud that was causing an out-of-spec leakdown rate and now that it completed successfully all is good.
Light came back on today. No, did not appear after doing work...came out of nowhere.

ONE TIME, when it came on, the car ran very rough...at idle. But other times it drives fine. Obviously intermittent and I think we're going to buy a new gas cap...seems on the forums this is a common failure and inexpensive to try.

Carnut
08-27-2015, 01:31 AM
It is likely running rough from a vacuum leak. The evap system contains vacuum lines and valves that can leak air causing a vacuum leak. Maybe it is in the evap system. The cap is part of the evap system.

http://engine-codes.com/p0455_mazda.html

Yours truly,
Sherlock.

I reread my post above. It sounded a little smart ass so.....................

I guess I was trying to clear up that your engine running rough condition is nothing more than the engine pulling too much air through the vacuum system causing a lean miss. It will likely go away once you find the source of the air, probably from the evap system since you threw a 440 code. The diagram was to help you identify all of the components that could be the source beside the lines and fittings. Most shops will do a smoke test to identify a leaks location. Good luck with your issue.

68fastback
08-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Light came back on today. No, did not appear after doing work...came out of nowhere.

ONE TIME, when it came on, the car ran very rough...at idle. But other times it drives fine. Obviously intermittent and I think we're going to buy a new gas cap...seems on the forums this is a common failure and inexpensive to try.

Yeah, a bad gas cap seal will surely cause rapid leak-down in the evap test sequence.

Alloy Dave
08-28-2015, 01:04 AM
Yeah, a bad gas cap seal will surely cause rapid leak-down in the evap test sequence.

Visually the rubber o-ring seal looks great...but the cap has a spring pressure device in it and I have to wonder if that's working properly...so the new cap has been ordered and we'll install ASAP.

68fastback
08-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Visually the rubber o-ring seal looks great...but the cap has a spring pressure device in it and I have to wonder if that's working properly...so the new cap has been ordered and we'll install ASAP.

Hope that's it, Dave....

HSURB
08-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Have an idea.

Switch gas caps with the Lexus and see if that solves the problem.

Boom.

HSURB®

68fastback
08-29-2015, 03:56 PM
:wtg: Just be sure to wait at least a few drive cycles on both -- evap system can take a while to determine if there's a problem.

Tommy Gun
08-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Have an idea.

Switch gas caps with the Lexus and see if that solves the problem.

Boom.

HSURB®

:rofl3:

Alloy Dave
08-29-2015, 11:19 PM
MIL was on for two days, went out again today. :nonono:

Gas cap should arrive Monday. :waiting:

twobjshelbys
08-30-2015, 01:01 AM
MIL was on for two days, went out again today. :nonono:

Gas cap should arrive Monday. :waiting:

I have a money saver hint I will post...

Joe G
08-30-2015, 02:31 AM
MILF was on for two days, went out again today. :nonono:

2 day MILF? :woohoo:

:webers:

Tommy Gun
08-30-2015, 12:03 PM
:sherriff:

Alloy Dave
08-31-2015, 02:08 AM
I have a money saver hint I will post...

Saw that, but my oring was perfect.

I got the gas cap today, already installed. Testing begins.

Tommy Gun
09-01-2015, 11:35 PM
:waiting2:

HSURB
09-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Did you try the Lexus cap on it yet?

HSURB®

Alloy Dave
09-02-2015, 01:48 AM
Did you try the Lexus cap on it yet?

HSURB®I borrowed one from TG and it doesn't fit.

The Bone
09-12-2015, 01:45 PM
When the light goes out dump that thing and buy a Ford. They don't have gas caps.

68fastback
09-12-2015, 03:50 PM
While down in NJ, SIL took his Alero in for inspection and it failed due to gas cap leakage (they pressure tese them off the car for older cars not having a newer evap system), so he went to a local store on his way home from work and picked a Stant off the shelf. Two days later he was off so I went with him to NJ inspection station -- and it failed again!! The new cap! So we went to an actual auto parts store and bought one made spcifically for his Alero and went back to NJ inspection station -- passed! In talking with auto parts retailer he said it's a common problem for the generic caps to not work properly. When we asked the inspection folks they said the same thing and pointed out a small plastic flange in the generic cap (which we hadn't returned yet) to make it fit more models but which can cause the seal to not work properly even tho it's brand new (at least not with their test fitting for that model). Sure enough, when we checked the one that passed, it didn't have that small flange that the generic Stant had -- just above where the seal is -- which may be designed to center the seal ...dunno why it's a problem tho. Fwiw.

Alloy Dave
09-12-2015, 05:23 PM
:conspiracy:

MIL light comes on still, then goes off...repeat

Still investigating

Joe G
09-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Glad no inspections in Goatsville. :wtg:

Tommy Gun
09-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Glad no inspections in Goatsville. :wtg:

Yeah, glad til some redneck driving w no brake lining slams into a family member... :(

Joe G
09-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Yeah, glad til some redneck driving w no brake lining slams into a family member... :(

That never happens in your state?

Tommy Gun
09-13-2015, 12:47 AM
That never happens in your state?

Very unlikely when cars are inspected once a year. :wtg:

68fastback
09-13-2015, 01:04 AM
That's why there are no accidents in the states that have inspections :innocent:

Tommy Gun
09-13-2015, 01:09 AM
Not what I said.

Tommy Gun
09-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Do you trust everyone around you as you drive, or trust yourself more to react against their stupidity? :look:

Joe G
09-13-2015, 01:33 AM
That's why there are no accidents in the states that have inspections :innocent:

Yep.

Just like Cities/States (NYC, Chicago, Kommiefornia) who try to ban all firearms. No gun deaths there. :wtg:

:doh:

Joe G
09-13-2015, 01:38 AM
Do you trust everyone around you as you drive, or trust yourself more to react against their stupidity? :look:

I don't like paying to confirm that I'm driving a "safe" car. What about all these stories about otherwise perfect cars being failed because of a CAI or even a "defective" gas cap? Fix the "problem" and pay your fee again. :spend:

Too much govt intrusion to make everything "safe" in my opinion is no different than the govt telling you when and where you can go, what to buy (no large Cokes?) or even who to be around. "For your safety" you know. :shades:

Slippery slope IMO.

68fastback
09-13-2015, 01:50 AM
Even motorcycle helmets ...I'd wear one almost all the time but I don't want to HAVE TO wear one ...especially on a beautiful day down [dirt-track or grassy] back roads ...I'd just want to enjoy the ride. And if I crash while doing 20 mph in the back country and magically find a rock, God forbid, that's my penalty. Thankfully some 35 states recognize this as a form of freedom. In NY state if I were to take a bike (pedal bike!) ride down our dead-end road without a helmet I'd get an appearance ticket -:doh:- it's crazy.

Tommy Gun
09-13-2015, 01:51 AM
I agree, thats why our inspections are for major things like brakes, tire tread, or disfunctioning airbags, etc...no silly performance mod questions or tailpipe sniffer.

Tommy Gun
09-13-2015, 01:52 AM
Even motorcycle helmets ...I'd wear one almost all the time but I don't want to HAVE TO wear one ...especially on a beautiful day down [dirt-track or grassy] back roads ...I'd just want to enjoy the ride. And if I crash while doing 20 mph in the back country and magically find a rock, God forbid, that's my penalty. Thankfully some 35 states recognize this as a form of freedom. In NY state if I were to take a bike (pedal bike!) ride down our dead-end road without a helmet I'd get an appearance ticket -:doh:- it's crazy.

That is crazy.

68fastback
09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
I agree, thats why our inspections are for major things like brakes, tire thread, or disfunctioning airbags, etc...no silly performance mod questions or tailpipe sniffer.

In NY state they do the full monty inspection (lol- sniffer and all) for the first 10 years, then just physical inspection after that. Reasonable too: $21 at any certified station (whether corner garage or Ford) and they can't charge more for any reason ...the system is wired directly into Albany MV dept. No mods worries either as long as you pass the sniffer. I've never understood why Commmiefornia has a problem with LT headers, air boxes and other 'unstickered' mods -- if you pass emissions for your cars original spec, I don't see why they would care ...aside from it being Commiefornia :rofl3:

Carnut
09-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Vee need to have complete control, ya. Next couple years, vee put port in brain, ya.

68fastback
09-13-2015, 08:43 PM
:rofl3: ...probably why more Kommiefornians (and from elsewhere too) have moved to Tx than anywhere else over the past 5 years -- biggest population growth of any state in the union, while Kommiefornia continues to languish. Coule it be Texas's steadfast management to conservative principles and a business-friendly environment ...Nah, must be a coincidence :shades:

Carnut
09-13-2015, 11:13 PM
:rofl3: ...probably why more Kommiefornians (and from elsewhere too) have moved to Tx than anywhere else over the past 5 years -- biggest population growth of any state in the union, while Kommiefornia continues to languish. Coule it be Texas's steadfast management to conservative principles and a business-friendly environment ...Nah, must be a coincidence :shades:

Paper quoted those liberals are moving to the Houston area and want to make it like Kommiefornia. IDIOTS.

Tommy Gun
09-13-2015, 11:38 PM
In NY state they do the full monty inspection (lol- sniffer and all) for the first 10 years, then just physical inspection after that. Reasonable too: $21 at any certified station (whether corner garage or Ford) and they can't charge more for any reason ...the system is wired directly into Albany MV dept. No mods worries either as long as you pass the sniffer. I've never understood why Commmiefornia has a problem with LT headers, air boxes and other 'unstickered' mods -- if you pass emissions for your cars original spec, I don't see why they would care ...aside from it being Commiefornia :rofl3:

Ours are $16.

I havent paid for an inspection in a few years though.

No sniffer crap here.

68fastback
09-14-2015, 01:17 AM
Paper quoted those liberals are moving to the Houston area and want to make it like Kommiefornia. IDIOTS.

Tx gonna need new immigration laws :haha:

Boston Mike
09-14-2015, 02:54 PM
I don't like paying to confirm that I'm driving a "safe" car. What about all these stories about otherwise perfect cars being failed because of a CAI or even a "defective" gas cap? Fix the "problem" and pay your fee again. :spend:

Too much govt intrusion to make everything "safe" in my opinion is no different than the govt telling you when and where you can go, what to buy (no large Cokes?) or even who to be around. "For your safety" you know. :shades:

Slippery slope IMO.

Careful, the NSA is listening. I hope you have your tin foil hat on again...................

Boston Mike
09-14-2015, 02:59 PM

How about then a waiver on your insurance that in the event of an accident where no helmet was worn, the medical payments clause of the insurance is null? Or you can pay extra for that coverage. I have never understood anyone not wearing a helmet on highways..................I mean, those rocks that get kicked up and crack windshields would have to sting.................

Boston Mike
09-14-2015, 03:02 PM

Well, Houston is the armpit of Texas................so they can keep them down there.

We keep growing the tax base with new jobs in north Dallas....................Toyota North America headquarters in Plano, State Farm headquarters in Plano, Liberty Mutual is moving down here and we are trying to entice GE to leave the tax haven of CT (is that too much sarcasm). Only thing that stinks is the traffic it creates..................

Carnut
09-14-2015, 03:04 PM
How about then a waiver on your insurance that in the event of an accident where no helmet was worn, the medical payments clause of the insurance is null? Or you can pay extra for that coverage. I have never understood anyone not wearing a helmet on highways..................I mean, those rocks that get kicked up and crack windshields would have to sting.................

Those big bugs sting too. Some of them you have to pick out of your teeth.

I rode a Harley for years without a helmet. Probably lucky but there is a real feeling of freedom when riding without a helmet. Some people don't get it but I guess that is why we are individuals that don't think the same.

Alloy Dave
09-14-2015, 04:34 PM
+1 on both your points. Same with seatbelts in a car. Even if on a local street, IMO, a helmet should be worn (but not required by law). Even on a bicycle a helmet is a good idea...I wear one when I ride.

68fastback
09-14-2015, 04:48 PM

Like I said I'd wear one most all the time -- except when the risk is truly minimal and it impairs enjoyment -- but I'd have no problem with partially waived coverage *IF* *HEAD* was injured while not wearing -- that should be a clause in an insurance policy that would likely have a range of provisions depending on the company, not an iron-clad mind-dead law -- that's how a free market ought to work (tho I' agree there's no going back now, except maybe for some 'adjustments').

That said, it's kinda funny how many states have no helmet laws and others that do still permit just a 'beanie' helmit which offers some protection but offers no protection agains bugs in the face ...and a max-sized bubble bee can almost knock you off a cycle at 75 :rofl3:and can surely blind you ...and watch out for those 1.25" giant yellow wasps :yikes: Yeah, I'd wear with rare exceptions, and anyone with half a brain would too, but I'm still opposed to that being an iron-clad law. On a similar note, talk to the dad who had his two kids taken from him by protective services (he eventually won his case and got them back) because he did the dastardly thing of letting them ride in the back of his old farm pick-up sitting on a bale of hay from one part of his farm across a dirt road to the other part of his farm :doh: Everyone agreed the cop (who just happened to be doing his monthly road-canvass) should have used discretion and looked the other way, but it's the principle of it ...laws are defective as written far too often. They seem like good ideas to beaureaucrats in the state capital who have no comprenension of the real world they supposedly govern. I would also put strapping kids into those contraptions in the same category. We always use them with the grandkids but I'll be damned if I'll let a law stop me from taking them in the Ranger around our property so they can experience a little 4-wheeling fun while there's still pure glee in their eyes -- law be damned. Once again, it was written by idiots such that it applies even on your own property or farm :doh: ...and sitting between their dad and me they are perfectly safe 'crawling' across a stream or through our woods trails. Anyhow, jmho.

And surely I'm a criminal under the law when I ride my bicycle without a friggin contraption on my head that removes all natural ambience from the whole experience of riding! I live in the natural world and want to hear it's nuances when lazily peddling along our dead-end road. By all means, put on the helmet when going any distance with any sort of traffic is around. Too may laws are written such that they eschew the law of common sence and therefore, almost necessarily, fall prey to the law of unintended consequences.

Boston Mike
09-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Like I said I'd wear one most all the time -- except when the risk is truly minimal and it impairs enjoyment -- but I'd have no problem with partially waived coverage *IF* *HEAD* was injured while not wearing -- that should be a clause in an insurance policy that would likely have a range of provisions depending on the company, not an iron-clad mind-dead law -- that's how a free market ought to work (tho I' agree there's no going back now, except maybe for some 'adjustments').

That said, it's kinda funny how many states have no helmet laws and others that do still permit just a 'beanie' helmit which offers some protection but offers no protection agains bugs iin the face ...and a max-sized bubble bee can almost knock you off a bike :rofl3: ...and watch out for those 1.25" giant yellow wasps :yikes: Yeah, I'd wear with rare exceptions, and anyone with half a brain would too, but I'm still opposed to that being an iron-clad law. On a similar note, talk to the dad who had his two kids taken from him by protective services (he eventually won his case and got them back) because he did the dastardly thing of letting them ride in the back of his old farm pick-up sitting on a bale of hay from one part of his farm across a dirt road to the other part of his farm :doh: Everyone agreed the cop (who just happened to be doing his monthly road-canvass) should have used discretion and looked the other way, but it's the principle of it ...laws are defective as written far too often. They seem like good ideas to beaureaucrats in the state capital who have no comprenension of the real world they supposedly govern. I would also put strapping kids into those contraptions in the same category. We always use them with the grandkids but I'll be damned if I'll let a law stop me from taking them in the Ranger around our property so they can experience a little 4-wheeling fun while there's still pure glee in their eyes -- law be damned. Once again, it was written by idiots such that it applies even on your own property or farm :doh: ...and sitting between their dad and me they are perfectly safe 'crawling' across a stream or through our woods trails. ANyhow, jmho.

i like to keep my posts short and sweet. This was implied, while perhaps not verbalized.

Joe G
09-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Careful, the NSA is listening. I hope you have your tin foil hat on again...................

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/Torqued713/smilies/animated/tinfoilhat.gif

Joe G
09-14-2015, 05:59 PM

I'm for it - everyone gets to choose how much insurance they want to buy and what it covers.

However, just don't see this ever happening. Heck - we have guys breaking into houses, getting hurt while doing so, and successfully suing the homeowner for their injuries. Liberal judges and laws are just too pervasive now. :banghead:

68fastback
09-14-2015, 06:06 PM
perverse

I'm for it - everyone gets to choose how much insurance they want to buy and what it covers.

However, just don't see this ever happening. Heck - we have guys breaking into houses, getting hurt while doing so, and successfully suing the homeowner for their injuries. Liberal judges and laws are just too pervasive now. :banghead:

...and perverse -lol

Tommy Gun
09-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Those big bugs sting too. Some of them you have to pick out of your teeth.

I rode a Harley for years without a helmet. Probably lucky but there is a real feeling of freedom when riding without a helmet. Some people don't get it but I guess that is why we are individuals that don't think the same.

You're just a bad a$$ :flex:

Carnut
09-14-2015, 07:28 PM
I'll take the "fifth" on what else I did back in those days.

68fastback
09-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Don't tell about the squirrel gangs :nonono:

Alloy Dave
09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
:threadofftrack:

Joe G
09-15-2015, 08:45 PM
:threadofftrack:

:but:

Carnut
09-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Mazdas have tracks?

Are they like a bulldozer?

Are they metal or rubber?

Did you get them at Caterpillar or somewhere else?

How did they come off?

Can you pry them back on like on Gold Rush?

After you get them back on, you could sell it to Joe.

68fastback
09-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Oh, nooooooooo!!

http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14464&d=1442360102 :giggle:

Joe G
09-16-2015, 01:41 AM
:spitcopy:

https://boardgamegeek.com/camo/5a0d046b118de7f516fb2b6ade23893a91f5fbff/687474703a2f2f7777772e746872656164626f6d62696e672e 636f6d2f646174612f6d656469612f34352f31313730343033 3833383239367378332e6a7067

Tommy Gun
09-16-2015, 02:18 AM
Tech thread :sherriff:

Carnut
09-16-2015, 02:20 AM
I'm technically appropriate.

Joe G
09-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Technically, TG drove us off the cliff into :postwhore:

:tiphat:

Tommy Gun
09-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Some heads are gonna roll :sherriff:

:git:

Alloy Dave
09-30-2015, 12:25 AM
Ok, so here's the update....

I called the local shop since I could not easily find the problem and don't have the leak down tools. Took it in Friday. We had taken the car in last December for an MIL light, but I had forgotten what they fixed at the time.

THey called me and said it was the purge solenoid valve and the repair was $85 for diagnosis and $265 for repair. I told them to go ahead. An hour later the lady called and said she had good news, more good news, and even more good news. I said ok, let's start with the good news :rolleyes:

She said "your car is fixed and ready to be picked up". Well, that was sort of expected, but ok...what's the other good news?

She said "While one of our techs was working on your car, another tech from across the shop saw the car and recognized it as one he'd worked on late last year, so he went over to see what was up as the car is very well maintained/kept". When the tech working on the car said it had a P0455 code and required a purge solenoid valve, the 2nd tech said "Hmmmm....I think that's what I did to it last December...let's go check the records". Sure enough, they had fixed the exact same part less than a year ago...so the repair is under warranty and it's free....but they still charge for the diagnosis.

I told her that was, in fact, more good news! Then I asked about the OTHER good news.

She said "Well, our techs always do a 64 point safety check on every car that comes in. Your car scored a perfect 64, and that's the first car we've had this year that scored perfect. And given that you maintain your car so well and the only reason you'd come in was for the MIL light that we didn't evidently fix well enough the first time, I convinced our regional manager to also give you the diagnosis at no charge...so you owe us nothing today."

:party:

I expressed my thanks and tomorrow I'm going to take a dozen donuts into the shop. (I won't give the address so Joe can't steal them).

Car is back to operating perfectly. We're going to be selling it in the next month or so now that we've got the new Smart Car/Jeep/Lexus/Taurus/Hyundai/Lotus/Charger that Terry will be driving.

Anyone wanting a 2004 Mazda3 with 76,000 miles, give me a call.

P.S. I had tested the purge solenoid, but I didn't have the proper tools. It's basically a check valve that's actuated by a relay, and all I did was blow one way, blow the other way, then energize it and try again...it all worked fine...but I don't have the tools to do a leak test that would indicate a less severe leakage problem.

68fastback
09-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Glad it worked out so well, Dave!

What's not clear is that if the car has less than 100,000 miles (might be 150K depending on how new) I dont see how they could charge anything anyway -- it's part of the Federally-mandated emissions system which manufacturer had to certify WILL function at their expense for the mandated interval (100K or 150K depending). Possibly the Mazda has more than that?

In the case of my buddy, he had over 300K miles on his Ranger when he had problems, so he would have surely been charged. Even big ticket items like catalytic converters and airbag sytems, etc, are fully covered -- unless an owner mod to the car caused the failure, etc, then SOL.

Joe G
09-30-2015, 12:55 AM
Great news that it's fixed and it's at no charge. :wtg:

Now about those donuts... :trouble:

Tommy Gun
09-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Cliff notes on Dave's post?

I'm not reading all that. :(

Boston Mike
09-30-2015, 01:07 AM
Cliff notes on Dave's post?

I'm not reading all that. :(

If you ever came to Shelbyfest, you'd find his storytelling is quite entertaining

Joe G
09-30-2015, 01:15 AM
If you ever came to Shelbyfest, you'd find his storytelling is quite entertaining

:iagree:

Tommy Gun
09-30-2015, 01:17 AM
I don't drive 2000 miles :(

Alloy Dave
09-30-2015, 01:19 AM
Glad it worked out so well, Dave!

What's not clear is that if the car has less than 100,000 miles (might be 150K depending on how new) I dont see how they could charge anything anyway -- it's part of the Federally-mandated emissions system which manufacturer had to certify WILL function at their expense for the mandated interval (100K or 150K depending). Possibly the Mazda has more than that?

In the case of my buddy, he had over 300K miles on his Ranger when he had problems, so he would have surely been charged. Even big ticket items like catalytic converters and airbag sytems, etc, are fully covered -- unless an owner mod to the car caused the failure, etc, then SOL.
I didn't take it to a dealer. Probably the dealer would have been required to fix it for free...but...

a) They often find something else non-emissions related that they say caused it to deny the claim

b) Our nearest Mazda dealer is 45 miles north

Alloy Dave

:uwelcome:

Alloy Dave

:cave:

Tommy Gun
09-30-2015, 01:20 AM
So you took it to the Lexus dealer you bought your last car from?

Joe G
09-30-2015, 01:22 AM

1) It's not that far
2) You've driven to other events that were important to you
3) It's ok to not come to an event, but then don't make excuses why

Tommy Gun
09-30-2015, 01:25 AM
Never driven to an event 1999 miles away.

And I don't do Team Shelby sponsored events.

Joe G
09-30-2015, 01:39 AM

And I don't do Team Shelby sponsored events.

Re-read #3. :shades:

Alloy Dave
09-30-2015, 02:52 AM

And I don't do caves.
:bsflag:

Carnut
09-30-2015, 03:10 AM
Ok, so here's the update....

I called the local shop since I could not easily find the problem and don't have the leak down tools. Took it in Friday. We had taken the car in last December for an MIL light, but I had forgotten what they fixed at the time.

THey called me and said it was the purge solenoid valve and the repair was $85 for diagnosis and $265 for repair. I told them to go ahead. An hour later the lady called and said she had good news, more good news, and even more good news. I said ok, let's start with the good news :rolleyes:

She said "your car is fixed and ready to be picked up". Well, that was sort of expected, but ok...what's the other good news?

She said "While one of our techs was working on your car, another tech from across the shop saw the car and recognized it as one he'd worked on late last year, so he went over to see what was up as the car is very well maintained/kept". When the tech working on the car said it had a P0455 code and required a purge solenoid valve, the 2nd tech said "Hmmmm....I think that's what I did to it last December...let's go check the records". Sure enough, they had fixed the exact same part less than a year ago...so the repair is under warranty and it's free....but they still charge for the diagnosis.

I told her that was, in fact, more good news! Then I asked about the OTHER good news.

She said "Well, our techs always do a 64 point safety check on every car that comes in. Your car scored a perfect 64, and that's the first car we've had this year that scored perfect. And given that you maintain your car so well and the only reason you'd come in was for the MIL light that we didn't evidently fix well enough the first time, I convinced our regional manager to also give you the diagnosis at no charge...so you owe us nothing today."

:party:

I expressed my thanks and tomorrow I'm going to take a dozen donuts into the shop. (I won't give the address so Joe can't steal them).

Car is back to operating perfectly. We're going to be selling it in the next month or so now that we've got the new Smart Car/Jeep/Lexus/Taurus/Hyundai/Lotus/Charger that Terry will be driving.

Anyone wanting a 2004 Mazda3 with 76,000 miles, give me a call.

P.S. I had tested the purge solenoid, but I didn't have the proper tools. It's basically a check valve that's actuated by a relay, and all I did was blow one way, blow the other way, then energize it and try again...it all worked fine...but I don't have the tools to do a leak test that would indicate a less severe leakage problem.

Hmmm..............sounds like an intermittent vacuum leak.

68fastback
09-30-2015, 03:10 PM
I didn't take it to a dealer. Probably the dealer would have been required to fix it for free...but...

a) They often find something else non-emissions related that they say caused it to deny the claim

b) Our nearest Mazda dealer is 45 miles north

Ah! Wow -- that's a long way... glad it all worked out.