PDA

View Full Version : Computer Monitor Plugs

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 12:38 AM
I have a new monitor that accepts 4 different plugs and can hook any of them to my computer, but only one needs to be hooked up.

Anyone know which of these is the highest quality one?

VGA to VGA
DVI to DVI
HDMI to HDMI
HDMI to DVI

???

JTB
06-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I have a new monitor that accepts 4 different plugs and can hook any of them to my computer, but only one needs to be hooked up.

VGA to VGA
DVI to DVI
HDMI to HDMI
HDMI to DVI

???

HDMI to HDMI if your PC supports it is the best.

It is a fully digital video and digital audio protocol.

Johnny Dangerously
06-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Looks like DVI & HDMI are the same quality,so go with HDMI to HDMI or DVI to DVI.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

`

JTB
06-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Looks like DVI & HDMI are the same quality,so go with HDMI to HDMI or DVI to DVI.

`

DVI does not support Audio transmission so he would need two cables to connect his PC to the monitor (if it has speakers) instead of one going this route and would not have a digital audio signal output with a DVI only set up.

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks.

I hooked up the HDMI to HDMI for now.

Funny though, it seems like the smallest connection.

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 12:55 AM

`

....that is a good reference.......basically, unless TG is relying on his monitor for sound also, then they do the same thing.....if the monitor (such as when I use my tv with my laptop) also provides the sound, you need to go with the hdmi......

.....from experience, hdmi cable can be a bit expensive, so it may be that the dvi cable is cheaper.......just need to check out the pricing......

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks.

....Probably the inside wiring is about the same.....but remember, with digital, you do not need to rely on the strength of the signal for it to work, or work better, as long as the signal gets to the receiving end.....that's one reason it is considered an upgraded view......

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 01:01 AM
....that is a good reference.......basically, unless TG is relying on his monitor for sound also, then they do the same thing.....if the monitor (such as when I use my tv with my laptop) also provides the sound, you need to go with the hdmi......

.....from experience, hdmi cable can be a bit expensive, so it may be that the dvi cable is cheaper.......just need to check out the pricing......

Cable came w/ the monitor.

Computer is used for gaming so I want the graphics to be the best ...within reason.

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Cable came w/ the monitor.

Computer is used for gaming so I want the graphics to be the best ...within reason.

.........gotcha............make sure your graphics card is top notch then (chip speed and memory).............that is key to a good gaming system.......and of course for the online stuff, a fast connection.........

JTB
06-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks.

The size of the connector is irrelevant. HDMI is the newest and most modern of the digital video delivery protocols.

Further, the HDMI connection is digital lossless, you either have digital signal, or you don't.

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 01:12 AM
.........gotcha............make sure your graphics card is top notch then (chip speed and memory).............that is key to a good gaming system.......and of course for the online stuff, a fast connection.........

I have been reviewing different cards.

I found a list of the top ten cards from different sites.

Then I looked for a system that had one of these cards.

The card I ended up finding is a Nvidea GeForce GT220 which is supposed to be a pretty good card for gamers. And about 20 times better than the GeForce card he currently is using.

We'll see once things are loaded.

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 01:15 AM
I have been reviewing different cards.

I found a list of the top ten cards from different sites.

Then I looked for a system that had one of these cards.

The card I ended up finding is a Nvidea GeForce GT220 which is supposed to be a pretty good card for gamers. And about 20 times better than the GeForce card he currently is using.

We'll see once things are loaded.

...as long as it installs ok, you should be fine.........also...higher end graphics cards pump out a bunch of heat....keep good ventilation going.......and the little fan on the card is important...they have a bad habit of going bad, and the card overheating....am on my third or so...:wow2:

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 01:19 AM
...as long as it installs ok, you should be fine.........also...higher end graphics cards pump out a bunch of heat....keep good ventilation going.......and the little fan on the card is important...they have a bad habit of going bad, and the card overheating....am on my third or so...:wow2:

This is all part of the computer I bought already built.

So you're saying i should get the extra warranty? :rofl3:

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 01:23 AM

.....the good thing,,,,about the time a graphics card shoots crap.....there is a lot better one out there and its already time to upgrade........I hate extra warranties....its like betting against yourself....plus, my youngest worked as a BB computer tech while in HS....and always has lots of spare pieces hanging about......useful traits......

JTB
06-07-2010, 01:24 AM

Some are, but there is no need for them to be, an HDMI connection is lossless, you either have one or you don't.

Now a high quality 1. 3 or 1.4 HDMI cable is around $20 and will deliver the same transmission as a $120 Monster One.

:tiphat2: to Monster though for some very effective marketing the separates a lot of people from their money for no reason.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Monster+Cable+-+THX+1000+4'+HDMI+A/V+Cable/9345693.p;jsessionid=B2A16CE5A4CD98AA1206AB9877180 C7E.bbolsp-app06-38?id=1218088187400&skuId=9345693

FYI Here's a simple clear article on HDMI.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdmi-cables.html

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 01:24 AM

...on serious note....just make sure the box has a lot of cool air going to it...don't stick it tight in a cubby or anything like that.....

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Some are, but there is no need for them to be, an HDMI connection is lossless, you either have one or you don't.

Now a high quality 1. 3 or 1.4 HDMI cable is around $20 and will deliver the same transmission as a $120 Monster One.

:tiphat2: to Monster though for some very effective marketing the separates a lot of people from their money for no reason.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Monster+Cable+-+THX+1000+4'+HDMI+A/V+Cable/9345693.p;jsessionid=B2A16CE5A4CD98AA1206AB9877180 C7E.bbolsp-app06-38?id=1218088187400&skuId=9345693

FYI Here's a simple clear article on HDMI.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdmi-cables.html

...I agree....all of the higher end cables are wasted money...and that goes for all the fancy plated plugs also.....I got my hdmi at Home Depot......but it is still pricier than what I wanted to pay...I think it is a 12' one.....length seems to make it pretty costly

.....when my son worked for BB, he could actually buy cables and such for about 10-20 cents on the dollar.....the markup is obscene......:yellowcard3:

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 01:29 AM
.....the good thing,,,,about the time a graphics card shoots crap.....there is a lot better one out there and its already time to upgrade........I hate extra warranties....its like betting against yourself....plus, my youngest worked as a BB computer tech while in HS....and always has lots of spare pieces hanging about......useful traits......

Only issues I've had in the past have been w/ software....which isn't covered. :grin:

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 01:31 AM
...on serious note....just make sure the box has a lot of cool air going to it...don't stick it tight in a cubby or anything like that.....

Lots of room around where it sits and it's about 2 feet from our A/C return vent. :grin:

Joe G
06-07-2010, 02:55 AM

CP said it's ok that it's small.

:look:

Tommy Gun
06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I didn't know you stopped by? :trouble:

rickf73
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
...I agree....all of the higher end cables are wasted money...and that goes for all the fancy plated plugs also.....I got my hdmi at Home Depot......but it is still pricier than what I wanted to pay...I think it is a 12' one.....length seems to make it pretty costly

.....when my son worked for BB, he could actually buy cables and such for about 10-20 cents on the dollar.....the markup is obscene......:yellowcard3:

I usually get my cables from monoprice.com, cheap prices and very good quality.

Joe G
06-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Me too. Saves a TON of $$ and it works great.

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM

...very good advice....unfortunately for me I am very bad about planning in advance......and just plunge into things as I have time....this doesn't leave much time for things to show up.......and this one of the reasons I tend to turn over the tech stuff to my youngest......he knows where/how to get things.....and once I turn it over to him, I just forget about it until he lets me know it is complete.....it is great to have a knowledgeable kid around the house...............now if he would just remove his completely dismantled xbox (even the components are laying out de-soldered from the boards) from our downstairs table....:doh2:

Joker
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
...very good advice....unfortunately for me I am very bad about planning in advance......and just plunge into things as I have time....this doesn't leave much time for things to show up.......and this one of the reasons I tend to turn over the tech stuff to my youngest......he knows where/how to get things.....and once I turn it over to him, I just forget about it until he lets me know it is complete.....it is great to have a knowledgeable kid around the house...............now if he would just remove his completely dismantled xbox (even the components are laying out de-soldered from the boards) from our downstairs table....:doh2:

Monster Cables are about the most over priced stuff you can possibly buy! In some instances, they are 5 times higher then the other cables for the same stuff. Just not branded with the name Monster.

I run DVI on my computer because I have seperate speakers and headphones. I use headphones most of the time.

Xbox parts or car parts laying around...........hummmmmmm

rickf73
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM

I have several big boxes here with all kinds of cables, just in case. Problem is I can't always find the cable I am looking for until I buy a new one. :grin:

Boston Mike
06-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I have an iMac..............only one cord............power. Everything else is wireless (keyboard, mouse, printer). Just sayin'.

:grin:

rickf73
06-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I have an iMac..............only one cord............power. Everything else is wireless (keyboard, mouse, printer). Just sayin'.

Sorry 'bout that.

KC BadCat
06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Monster Cables are about the most over priced stuff you can possibly buy! In some instances, they are 5 times higher then the other cables for the same stuff. Just not branded with the name Monster.

I run DVI on my computer because I have seperate speakers and headphones. I use headphones most of the time.

Xbox parts or car parts laying around...........hummmmmmm

..yea...he got the screen of death for the xbox..so he figures if never gets it going again, at least he has learned something from the effort to analyze and repair......

I have several big boxes here with all kinds of cables, just in case. Problem is I can't always find the cable I am looking for until I buy a new one. :grin:

....we use toolboxes for tools....he uses a top/bottom cabinet type for his parts.....I just hate going into it since it is a bit disorganized and hard to sort thru.......

Johnny Dangerously
06-07-2010, 10:41 PM
DVI does not support Audio transmission so he would need two cables to connect his PC to the monitor (if it has speakers) instead of one going this route and would not have a digital audio signal output with a DVI only set up.
:tiphat2:

Thanks, I missed the audio part.

`

Joker
06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
..yea...he got the screen of death for the xbox..so he figures if never gets it going again, at least he has learned something from the effort to analyze and repair......

....we use toolboxes for tools....he uses a top/bottom cabinet type for his parts.....I just hate going into it since it is a bit disorganized and hard to sort thru.......

I hope he had the xbox 360 for over 3 years. The rings of death are covered for 3 years under warranty even though the regular warranty is only 1 year.

Tommy Gun
06-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Working on trying to transfer stuff now.

Main thing is WOW.

Tons of stuff associated w/ that game. Should have just tried to re-load discs. :banghead:

KC BadCat
06-08-2010, 01:18 AM
I hope he had the xbox 360 for over 3 years. The rings of death are covered for 3 years under warranty even though the regular warranty is only 1 year.

...he has had it for quite a while....he always liked getting that stuff when it first came out.......he made a ton as a tech for bb in high school, so always had too much money around.......so it dates to when they came out I would guess....but I will pass this along.......hopefully I will not hear an "oh crud" back from him....but I am thinking he already knows about 3 years...he is deeply tapped into the pc world.......thanks, John

Joker
06-08-2010, 03:28 AM
...he has had it for quite a while....he always liked getting that stuff when it first came out.......he made a ton as a tech for bb in high school, so always had too much money around.......so it dates to when they came out I would guess....but I will pass this along.......hopefully I will not hear an "oh crud" back from him....but I am thinking he already knows about 3 years...he is deeply tapped into the pc world.......thanks, John

Cool. I'm sure I'm not even close to tapped in like he is.

I didn't know till it hapened to mine about 1 month out of warranty. I thought I was SOL for sure.

tekheavy
09-17-2010, 01:55 AM

VGA to VGA
DVI to DVI
HDMI to HDMI
HDMI to DVI

???

TG, did you get this worked out yet? :popcorn:

Tommy Gun
09-17-2010, 01:57 AM

No.

That $1800 state-of-the-art monitor is still sitting in a box in the corner awaiting someones input here. :nonono:

Joe G
09-17-2010, 01:58 AM
No.

That $1800 state-of-the-art monitor is still sitting in a box in the corner awaiting someones input here. :nonono:

:moneyman:

Tommy Gun
09-17-2010, 01:59 AM
:innocent:

68fastback
09-17-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm thinking HDMI-HDMI would be the best, assuming your computer drives that interface all the time (vs just for HDMI video like DVD HD movies). I bet VD will know.

onecrazydog
09-17-2010, 04:41 AM
No.

If you are just using it for video monitor use a DVI to DVI cable for best signal... Make sure your puter has DVI output...

Tommy Gun
09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
This was 6 months ago, I don't have a clue what I ended up using :groan:

VaporDude
09-17-2010, 02:00 PM
TG, take a picture of the back of your computer, mainly the video card and post it here. That way we know what you have and can tell you the best solution.

VaporDude
09-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Then you do have it working?

onecrazydog
09-18-2010, 12:31 AM
No.

:look:

Gr8snkbite
09-18-2010, 12:39 AM
One word.....

MAC....:tease2:

rickf73
09-18-2010, 01:46 AM
One word.....

MAC....:tease2:

I hear your pain. :grin:

The Bone
09-18-2010, 02:20 AM
2 words

wait for it

old thread

68fastback
09-18-2010, 03:41 AM
resurrected by none other than?

TG! :doh2: ;-)

Tommy Gun
09-18-2010, 01:34 PM
resurrected by none other than?

TG! :doh2: ;-)

Um, wrong!

Tek brought it back up. :groan:

68fastback
09-18-2010, 03:49 PM

No.

...:doh2:

...wait! I get it! ...it's all your fault! :nonono:

:tease2:

;-)

Joe G
09-18-2010, 08:38 PM
...wait! I get it! ...it's all your fault! :nonono:

:tease2:

;-)

:goodpost:

Tommy Gun
09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
:gun:

68fastback
09-19-2010, 01:09 AM
:rofl:

Joe G
09-19-2010, 01:11 AM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc289/JoeG_09/Emoticon/burp.gif

Tommy Gun
09-19-2010, 02:36 AM
:horsepoop:

Johnny Dangerously
09-19-2010, 01:15 PM
No.

Send it up to me & let me check it out to make sure everything is ok with it.

`

Tommy Gun
09-19-2010, 03:59 PM
:groan:

1) old thread

2) No $1800 monitor

3) I'm dealing w/ Dufi.

68fastback
09-19-2010, 05:23 PM

1) old thread

2) No $1800 monitor

3) I'm dealing w/ Dufi.

Do they have a website? ...next time deal with a reputable company...

:haha:

Joe G
09-19-2010, 06:45 PM

1) old thread

2) No $1800 monitor

3) I'm dealing w/ Dufi.

CP won't like that you called her a dufus. :rollingpin:

Tommy Gun
09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
:doh2:

Joe G