PDA

View Full Version : Carnuts New 2015 Mustang GT

Pages : [1] 2

Carnut
01-08-2016, 01:43 AM
As I posted in another thread, last week I bought a 2015 Mustang GT. I have been lusting over the car since it came out last year. I got the 2015 instead of the 2016 because I made a lot better deal on it and it had the 50 years Anniversary Package on it.

Here is the run down:
2015 GT Premium Fastback.
Enhanced Security Package
3.55 LS Rear Axle
Spare Tire and Wheel
Reverse Park Assist
Voice Activated Navigation
50th Anniversary Package (I really like the special wheels and trim on the grille as well as the chrome surrounds on the tail iights)
Ingot silver with black leather interior w/ special white stitching.
Dealer installed window tint.

I now have 240 miles on it and can make a few observations. Fifth gear, not fourth, is a 1;1 ratio and the extra gear between and the 3.55 axle ratio makes that 7,000 rpm fuel shut off come quick. I have hit it more times than I care to admit and there appears to be no shift light.

My first tank of gas was 11.0 mpg (wonder why LOL), but I am sure that will improve with time.

I like the rear park assist, especially at night with the rain and the dark window tinting. The extra large touch screen and the bright back up light really allow you to see well, just like a bright day. The are also sensors that beep when you get to close to an object. It also projects your rearward path on the ground and changes as the wheels turn. Should save me an inadvertent meeting with a pole, wall or whatever I might not see.

The sync phone works great, nice and clear, understands voice commands well. A nice integrated unit with the entertainment center, navigation and climate controls. The commands appear on the touch screen too so you don't have to remember a lot. Navigation is big and easy to read.

This is a really nice driving car. It seems much better than my GT500 except for the power, although it is not much less. I doubt that I will ever track the car so I don't now how important that will be to me. We shall see, I never thought a car had too much horsepower. I do think my 66 is quicker in the quarter though, if I can hook it up.

The weather here has been lousy for taking pics, but maybe I can take some next week and post.

There is not much about this car I don't like, in fact, I am at a loss to come up with anything right now.

68fastback
01-08-2016, 02:13 AM
Sounds great, nut!!

The shift light may be in the track-apps menu somewhere -- I vaguely remember being able to set a shift point such that the tach changes color (something like that) to signal the shift point. I've driven my buddy's Escape Titanium with back-up assist ...yeah, very nice implementation!!

Best of luck with her!! :chirp:

Joe G
01-08-2016, 02:21 AM
:needpics:

Carnut
01-08-2016, 02:26 AM
:needpics:

PLEASE. Read back, about the weather.

Joe G
01-08-2016, 02:54 AM
PLEASE. Read back, about the weather.

:oops:

:giggle:

Tommy Gun
01-08-2016, 11:11 AM
:wtg:

The Bone
01-08-2016, 01:13 PM
The new design is sweet. I saw it at the Mustang 50th birthday. We need a sound clip also. They got every thing right finely. I guess they are starting to listen to the owners. Not sure why they put the line lock on a street car. i know its fun but i see some stupid person doing a launch leaving a car show.
I really like how the roof goes back farther into the truck Hope you can get some more seat time. So they changed out the rev limiter to a fuel shut off? How fast does the motor recover?

Carnut
01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
The new design is sweet. I saw it at the Mustang 50th birthday. We need a sound clip also. They got every thing right finely. I guess they are starting to listen to the owners. Not sure why they put the line lock on a street car. i know its fun but i see some stupid person doing a launch leaving a car show.
I really like how the roof goes back farther into the truck Hope you can get some more seat time. So they changed out the rev limiter to a fuel shut off? How fast does the motor recover?

My guess on the line lock is to encourage grass roots drag racers (or wannabes). I doubt that it will get much use from me. The motor recovers in a nano second it seems if you shift the instant you hit the shut off. Since the motor and exhaust are quieter than I am used to, it is hard for me shift by ear, it will take some practice I guess. Like I said earlier, with the "extra" gear, the shift points come up a lot faster than what I was used to.

Carnut
01-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Sounds great, nut!!

The shift light may be in the track-apps menu somewhere -- I vaguely remember being able to set a shift point such that the tach changes color (something like that) to signal the shift point. I've driven my buddy's Escape Titanium with back-up assist ...yeah, very nice implementation!!

Best of luck with her!! :chirp:

I searched the track apps, the owners manual and on line. I don't think there is an indicator light. I really don't want to screw an aftermarket one to the dashboard.

68fastback
01-08-2016, 05:46 PM
I searched the track apps, the owners manual and on line. I don't think there is an indicator light. I really don't want to screw an aftermarket one to the dashboard.

Yeah, I would not want to add one unless unobtrusive and easily reversible.

Interesting ...the prior GT's ('13/14) whole tach changed color from blue (I believe) to red when the tach hits redline ...not a true shift light but useful.
Not doubting there isn't one but seems very odd for Ford to have track apps and no shift indicator/feature.

Well, in 2018 when GT350 is available at MSRP you'll just have trade it in :hiding: ;-)

68fastback
01-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Looked around ...I can't find anything on it either other than it was standard of '13/14 Premium ...I was hoping this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNo6o60XWDM)(shows it on a '13) might show some menu item or something, but it doesn't.

twobjshelbys
01-08-2016, 06:28 PM
What precisely does the back up assist do? Is it some variant of the hands free parallel parking mode?

I'd read somewhere that activating the line lock voided warranty, although I don't know how or why. Of course they can tell (it's recorded in the computer) but it ought to be able to survive it. Or maybe it can't and now they know if you did it. Oh well. Anyway, how is the line lock thing any different from launch mode?

Like I said in another topic, a 2016 convertible is still on my short list, although for my use the 4-cyl ecoboost is getting high points. That version has more HP than my 2008 Shelby GT...

Tommy Gun
01-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Assist is basically just a view of where you are going, doesn't do it for you.

Tommy Gun
01-08-2016, 06:32 PM

What's wrong w a burnout at a car show? :look:

twobjshelbys
01-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Assist is basically just a view of where you are going, doesn't do it for you.

Gee, I guess my new Honda CRV has that - a backup camera with an outline that moves to track the steering wheel. Backup cameras are becoming mandatory I think in 2017MY cars but many manufacturers have made them part of the standard equipment package earlier. That happened with the stability control nanny too.

Tommy Gun
01-08-2016, 06:35 PM

http://youtu.be/67R8L5vVbCE

twobjshelbys
01-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Regarding your mileage question in the other topic. Did you fill the tank yourself or was it from the dealer? The reason is that sometimes they don't fill it. If you did then fill it again and use the old slide rule to calculate it. My truck's indicator has never been accurate. The on board computer estimates MPG by counting engine revolutions, multiplying by cylinder count and multiplying by "average spray per injection cycle) to calculate the amount of fuel used. The Honda version seems to be pretty close.

Joe G
01-08-2016, 06:40 PM

:lol:

I was just gonna post that.

Typical RED car dufus. :nonono:

twobjshelbys
01-08-2016, 06:45 PM

That video is precisely why I wouldn't do one in my Cobra and won't do one in my GT. Neither car will hold a straight line on the burnout - they want to go around in circles instead. Not something you do in a narrow line of cars in a parking lot.

CH53Driver
01-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Nothing. Just make sure there's a grove of palm trees dead ahead before you start.

CH53Driver
01-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Oh yeah, congrats CN!

Joe G
01-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Nothing. Just make sure there's a grove of palm trees dead ahead before you start.

:spitcopy:

KC BadCat
01-08-2016, 07:45 PM
congrats....keep us updated on your observations. I would like to get a GT with an auto, and then put a small supercharger on it. But would probably have to sell the GTO and possibly the GT500 to do it.......

Carnut
01-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Gee, I guess my new Honda CRV has that - a backup camera with an outline that moves to track the steering wheel. Backup cameras are becoming mandatory I think in 2017MY cars but many manufacturers have made them part of the standard equipment package earlier. That happened with the stability control nanny too.

The reverse assist option is the rear sensors that beep when you have objects within 6 feet of the rear of the car. The closer you get the more it beeps.

Carnut
01-08-2016, 09:04 PM
http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15298&stc=1http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15299&stc=1

68fastback
01-08-2016, 09:15 PM
That is one nice looking Mustang! Such a clean design and the silver goes so well with the wheels and tail light bezels on the 50th Premium probably look sharp with the silver too :wtg:

Tommy Gun
01-08-2016, 09:28 PM

This was a car show sponsored by a friend of my mine. They tried not to let it get youtubed, but someone still did.

It's actually down the street away from the show, but he didn't want the bad publicity.

It is what it is, you can't control what people do outside the show.

This was actually someone letting someone else drive their car. Idiot obviously didn't know how to control a car, had plenty of time to back off or redirect.

Tommy Gun
01-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Nice pics Squirrel Breath :wtg:

Carnut
01-08-2016, 09:32 PM

:boink:

Carnut
01-08-2016, 09:47 PM

He had plenty of time to lift a bit, looks like he chose to power through it. Dufus.

68fastback
01-08-2016, 10:20 PM
re MPG calc ...they use average spray for the used part of the tank to project remaining miles but they calculate the average by using actual aggregate spray time and odometer miles driven. That is, they actually are counting the microseconds injectors are actually 'on,' and with pulse-width spray modulation that means aggregating very tiny time intervals indeed. However it is quite accurate because it's a constant-pressure system and though fuel viscosity does change slightly with temperature, that's not significant. (...you can verify that's it's real-time system by displaying mpg, resetting it, and then hitting the gas and see 4-6 mpg or, conversely, reset again and while cruising put it in neutral and watch mpg immediately jump to 99 mpg -- the highest they display but they are still tracking actual time-slice consumption -- also handy for TG to get feedback on the workings of his right foot :rofl3:)

The tune itself is also changing injector pulse width due to ambient temperature-induced changes in engine demand (among other things) but that is transparent to the mpg algorithm (but not to the resulting mpg). Since tune uses O2-feedback that is dynamically and continuously corrected in real-time when in closed-loop operation (vs at WOT) it is essentially adjusting spray time accordingly. Even at WOT pulse-width modulation is occurring since the injectors necessarily have more flow capacity than max engine demand. All of that is 100% transparent to the mpg algorithm (obviously not to resulting mpg).

Fuel viscosity aside, the biggest variable by far is the determination of how much fuel is added to the tank. If you only top-off part way it gives the fuel calculation fits because it's only going to be as good as the estimate of how much fuel you put in and that is more difficult if just topping-off or, worse still, just adding $10-worth (not full). As I understand it that throws the calculation way off. I don't recall how they 'measure' the fuel itself but I do recall that it is MUCH more accurate when you fill-up after the tank is at least half-empty and fill it according to Ford's recommendation of filling until the nozzle 'pops' and then they usually say it's okay to click it a couple more times -- no more -- since you can saturate the evap system and get a wrench light and sometimes the evap system will not function properly for some time.

Which brings us to the the last variable (for me, anyway -lol) -- tire size and pressure. Even if pressure is as recommended, tire circumference on passenger tires can change up to 2" from a new tire to one at the wear-bars. Fortunately, this actually doesn't affect the mpg calculation variance between Ford's computer calculating it and you calculating it because both use the odometer miles (even tho it is virtually never actually correct compared to actual ground miles -- no matter).

So, fill up fully (but not overly) when tank is more than half-empty -- actually the lower the better without risking running out which can damage the fuel pumps ceramic bearings -- and on typical travel it should be quite accurate ...at least that's my experience. Anyhow, I tracked my mileage fairly religiously for the first couple of years with the Fusion and follow the no-more-than-two-clicks guideline and it is usually within a 1-3/10ths of a mpg. In fact, within those guidelines, it's be so consistent that I now only do the calculation occasionally. That said, your mileage may vary :shades: -lol

[edit:] One additional consideration: It's a nice 45*F fall day and you go to fill-up. The pump says you bought 20 gallons, let's say. You actually didn't. They sold you 19.x gallons and can legally call it 20 gallons because at 70*F at 1 bar it would be 20 gallons. True! At 100*F when it says 20 gallons you actually get a little more. Unless you're buying gas from Festus the farmer, virtually all pumps in the US provide temperature-adjusted delivery. Does Ford's algorithm adjust for that per so? I don't know. Possibly it is adjusted in terms of flow delivery but it would seem that has to be pre-injector, so unless the algorithm is dynamically temp-adjusting for how it's counting the tiny time increments (probably very doable) that is another potential discrepancy.

Btw, which is correct: the amount that flows into the cylinders or the amount the pump says you received (which you actually did not unless it's 70*F when dispensed)? In this regard I suspect the Ford calculation would logically be MORE accurate based on how much is dispensed in the engine vs how much was dispensed at the pump. Also what if you filled-up at 70*F and consumed the fuel at 40* which better describes how much you actually used to move the vehicle a certain distance? :shades: I tend to be biased toward point of consumption (assuming it's accurate as consumed) aside from the fact that you paid based on point of dispensation, which is otherwise meaningless for actual conditions during consumption, if you see what I mean. Don't underestimate the volume (gallons) change with temperature ...it's significant enough that it was financially worth the added expense to adjust for it the pump's electronics.

Anyhow, man with two watches is never sure what time it is. :haha:

KC BadCat
01-08-2016, 10:50 PM
http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15298&stc=1http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15299&stc=1

beautiful car.........the next time I am out there for Royals spring training I will drop by and see how well it does burnouts with me behind the wheel........grinning

Joe G
01-08-2016, 11:09 PM
This was a car show sponsored by a friend of my mine. They tried not to let it get youtubed, but someone still did.

It's actually down the street away from the show, but he didn't want the bad publicity.

It is what it is, you can't control what people do outside the show.

This was actually someone letting someone else drive their car. Idiot obviously didn't know how to control a car, had plenty of time to back off or redirect.

:wow2:

This "friend" wouldn't happen to live in a cave would he? :innocent:

Joe G
01-08-2016, 11:09 PM
beautiful car.........the next time I am out there for Royals spring training I will drop by and see how well it does burnouts with me behind the wheel........crashing

Tommy Gun
01-09-2016, 12:38 AM

This "friend" wouldn't happen to live in a cave would he? :innocent:

No he hosts car shows and a track event twice a year that Ford helps sponsor...

Carnut
01-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Ummmmm.............okay.

Carnut
01-09-2016, 12:55 AM
re MPG calc ...they use average spray for the used part of the tank to project remaining miles but they calculate the average by using actual aggregate spray time and odometer miles driven. That is, they actually are counting the microseconds injectors are actually 'on,' and with pulse-width spray modulation that means aggregating very tiny time intervals indeed. However it is quite accurate because it's a constant-pressure system and though fuel viscosity does change slightly with temperature, that's not significant. (...you can verify that's it's real-time system by displaying mpg, resetting it, and then hitting the gas and see 4-6 mpg or, conversely, reset again and while cruising put it in neutral and watch mpg immediately jump to 99 mpg -- the highest they display but they are still tracking actual time-slice consumption -- also handy for TG to get feedback on the workings of his right foot :rofl3:)

The tune itself is also changing injector pulse width due to ambient temperature-induced changes in engine demand (among other things) but that is transparent to the mpg algorithm (but not to the resulting mpg). Since tune uses O2-feedback that is dynamically and continuously corrected in real-time when in closed-loop operation (vs at WOT) it is essentially adjusting spray time accordingly. Even at WOT pulse-width modulation is occurring since the injectors necessarily have more flow capacity than max engine demand. All of that is 100% transparent to the mpg algorithm (obviously not to resulting mpg).

Fuel viscosity aside, the biggest variable by far is the determination of how much fuel is added to the tank. If you only top-off part way it gives the fuel calculation fits because it's only going to be as good as the estimate of how much fuel you put in and that is more difficult if just topping-off or, worse still, just adding $10-worth (not full). As I understand it that throws the calculation way off. I don't recall how they 'measure' the fuel itself but I do recall that it is MUCH more accurate when you fill-up after the tank is at least half-empty and fill it according to Ford's recommendation of filling until the nozzle 'pops' and then they usually say it's okay to click it a couple more times -- no more -- since you can saturate the evap system and get a wrench light and sometimes the evap system will not function properly for some time.

Which brings us to the the last variable (for me, anyway -lol) -- tire size and pressure. Even if pressure is as recommended, tire circumference on passenger tires can change up to 2" from a new tire to one at the wear-bars. Fortunately, this actually doesn't affect the mpg calculation variance between Ford's computer calculating it and you calculating it because both use the odometer miles (even tho it is virtually never actually correct compared to actual ground miles -- no matter).

So, fill up fully (but not overly) when tank is more than half-empty -- actually the lower the better without risking running out which can damage the fuel pumps ceramic bearings -- and on typical travel it should be quite accurate ...at least that's my experience. Anyhow, I tracked my mileage fairly religiously for the first couple of years with the Fusion and follow the no-more-than-two-clicks guideline and it is usually within a 1-3/10ths of a mpg. In fact, within those guidelines, it's be so consistent that I now only do the calculation occasionally. That said, your mileage may vary :shades: -lol

[edit:] One additional consideration: It's a nice 45*F fall day and you go to fill-up. The pump says you bought 20 gallons, let's say. You actually didn't. They sold you 19.x gallons and can legally call it 20 gallons because at 70*F at 1 bar it would be 20 gallons. True! At 100*F when it says 20 gallons you actually get a little more. Unless you're buying gas from Festus the farmer, virtually all pumps in the US provide temperature-adjusted delivery. Does Ford's algorithm adjust for that per so? I don't know. Possibly it is adjusted in terms of flow delivery but it would seem that has to be pre-injector, so unless the algorithm is dynamically temp-adjusting for how it's counting the tiny time increments (probably very doable) that is another potential discrepancy.

Btw, which is correct: the amount that flows into the cylinders or the amount the pump says you received (which you actually did not unless it's 70*F when dispensed)? In this regard I suspect the Ford calculation would logically be MORE accurate based on how much is dispensed in the engine vs how much was dispensed at the pump. Also what if you filled-up at 70*F and consumed the fuel at 40* which better describes how much you actually used to move the vehicle a certain distance? :shades: I tend to be biased toward point of consumption (assuming it's accurate as consumed) aside from the fact that you paid based on point of dispensation, which is otherwise meaningless for actual conditions during consumption, if you see what I mean. Don't underestimate the volume (gallons) change with temperature ...it's significant enough that it was financially worth the added expense to adjust for it the pump's electronics.

Anyhow, man with two watches is never sure what time it is. :haha:

So......the fuel use calculator works within a variable degree of accuracy.

onecrazydog
01-09-2016, 01:11 AM
Sweet car!! Needs some red...

Carnut
01-09-2016, 01:16 AM
Maybe red LeMans stripes?

Joe G
01-09-2016, 01:17 AM
No he hosts car shows and a track event twice a year that Ford helps sponsor...

No... the driver. :haha:

Tommy Gun
01-09-2016, 01:44 AM
No... the driver. :haha:

Oh...stop posting w your mouth full, couldn't understand you.

Joe G
01-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Oh...stop posting w your mouth full, couldn't understand you.

:4pizza:

68fastback
01-09-2016, 03:55 AM
So......the fuel use calculator works within a variable degree of accuracy.
Doesn't everything? :giggle:

Alloy Dave
01-10-2016, 04:18 AM
Congrats Mr. Squirrel...I told Terry that my fav color at Shelbyfest last year was the ingot silver...but I'd have to have some sort of stripes. Looking forward to more pics.

It's hard to believe that my car is now 9 years old.

Carnut
01-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Congrats Mr. Squirrel...I told Terry that my fav color at Shelbyfest last year was the ingot silver...but I'd have to have some sort of stripes. Looking forward to more pics.

It's hard to believe that my car is now 9 years old.

Scarey ain't it.

Carnut
01-10-2016, 12:13 PM
New tank of gas, some street driving and a trip to the airport. Gas mileage improving significantly if the computer is accurate at all. It is showing 22.4 '

Now that I am getting used to the car and its transmission gear ratios, I find I skip gears deliberately, usually 1 2 4 6, shifting out of first the minute I get rolling. If I am feeling spunky, I run it through all the gears. With the new clutch and gearing, it is unlike my GT500, which as many of you know took some concentration with the dual disc, no shuddering, stalling if you don't get it just right. Shifts are more precise too. Still wish this car came with a shift light.

Found a new feature, hill start assist. When you are in gear on an incline, the car will sense that and momentarily apply the brakes until you engage the clutch. It is automatic and seamless. It won't hold the car indefinitely but long enough to make the transition from off the brakes to the throttle and clutch engagement.

I couldn't help myself, I waxed the car again yesterday.

Tommy Gun
01-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Tommy Gun
01-10-2016, 12:55 PM
And congrats on 8000 posts :look:

Carnut
01-10-2016, 01:06 PM
And congrats on 8000 posts :look:

Am I a :postwhore:yet?

Shlbylvr
01-10-2016, 01:29 PM
Gorgeous car. Congrats.

twobjshelbys
01-10-2016, 04:09 PM
Now that I am getting used to the car and its transmission gear ratios, I find I skip gears deliberately, usually 1 2 4 6, shifting out of first the minute I get rolling.

Does the transmission catch going from first to second when cold? My Shelby GT (5 speed), reports from GT500 through the ages, and even my Ford GT with transaxle does it. Problem goes away when engine/trans get to operating temp. So I too skip, usually going from 1 to 3 until the engine warms up.

Do you really use 5 and 6? I am still on muscle memory from 4 speeds and forget to use 5, and only on freeways do I remember to use 6 (1800 RPM at 75MPH really improves mileage though :) )

Tommy Gun
01-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Am I a :postwhore:yet?

Yes :bigboss:

68fastback
01-10-2016, 05:19 PM
New tank of gas, some street driving and a trip to the airport. Gas mileage improving significantly if the computer is accurate at all. It is showing 22.4 '

Now that I am getting used to the car and its transmission gear ratios, I find I skip gears deliberately, usually 1 2 4 6, shifting out of first the minute I get rolling. If I am feeling spunky, I run it through all the gears. With the new clutch and gearing, it is unlike my GT500, which as many of you know took some concentration with the dual disc, no shuddering, stalling if you don't get it just right. Shifts are more precise too. Still wish this car came with a shift light.

Found a new feature, hill start assist. When you are in gear on an incline, the car will sense that and momentarily apply the brakes until you engage the clutch. It is automatic and seamless. It won't hold the car indefinitely but long enough to make the transition from off the brakes to the throttle and clutch engagement.

Keep sharing! Love it!

Carnut
01-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Does the transmission catch going from first to second when cold? My Shelby GT (5 speed), reports from GT500 through the ages, and even my Ford GT with transaxle does it. Problem goes away when engine/trans get to operating temp. So I too skip, usually going from 1 to 3 until the engine warms up.

Do you really use 5 and 6? I am still on muscle memory from 4 speeds and forget to use 5, and only on freeways do I remember to use 6 (1800 RPM at 75MPH really improves mileage though :) )

Gear shift 1-2 is smooth when cold. I use 5 a lot because it is a 1;1 ratio, over 50mph I can 6. I think it is 2000 rpm at 70 mph with the 3.55 rear gear.

Joe G
01-10-2016, 07:34 PM

:wax:

Carnut
01-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Finally figured out how to get the Sync to read me my text messages. Still no luck on the shift light.

68fastback
01-11-2016, 12:11 AM
Also cool to load your music in and can then search and play by voice commands...

...or can just load it from thumb drive/USB tho not sure how you tell it to index it. Did it quite by accident on my friends Escape.

Carnut
01-11-2016, 12:23 AM
Unfortunately my music is in CD's. Will take forever to get that in an electronic format.

Tommy Gun
01-11-2016, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately my music is on 8 track's. Will take forever to get that in an electronic format.

Yeah, that's a tough one. :look:

twobjshelbys
01-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Gear shift 1-2 is smooth when cold. I use 5 a lot because it is a 1;1 ratio, over 50mph I can 6. I think it is 2000 rpm at 70 mph with the 3.55 rear gear.

Is it Tremec?

Carnut
01-11-2016, 01:09 AM
Is it Tremec?

Gertrag M-82 I believe.

Joe G
01-11-2016, 01:21 AM
Unfortunately my music is carved into rock plates. Will take forever to get that in an electronic format.

Yeah, that's a tough one. :look:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/8-18-2015/C_1Mrp.gif

68fastback
01-11-2016, 01:41 AM
Unfortunately my music is in CD's. Will take forever to get that in an electronic format.

No so bad ...I do all of mine ....each one only takes one click and few minutes to rip to MP3 (once you set how you want it done -- easy peasy) in Media Player or player or app of your choice ...just start with a handful you like best which will only take 15 minutes to RIP.

68fastback
01-11-2016, 01:45 AM

Carnut
01-11-2016, 01:49 AM

Well..............it is Rock N Roll.

Joe G
01-11-2016, 01:55 AM

Wonder if Carnut can find a Rock-ola to laptop adapter cable. :shades:

Carnut
01-11-2016, 02:08 AM
I have a HDMI vine. (Heavy Dang Music Improviser) It is on a rock you know.

Joe G
01-11-2016, 02:11 AM
:giggle:

Carnut
01-11-2016, 02:51 AM
Okay.....Rock on dude. That's what my old buddy Rocky used to say anyways.

68fastback
01-11-2016, 03:17 AM
Wonder if Carnut can find a Rock-ola to laptop adapter cable. :shades:

Killed me with that one, Joe ;-)

68fastback
01-11-2016, 03:19 AM
I have a HDMI vine. (Heavy Dang Music Improviser) It is on a rock you know.

:lol: for the USB (Universal Squirrel Bank) storage rock?

Carnut
01-11-2016, 03:20 AM

Are we back to nuts again?

68fastback
01-11-2016, 03:24 AM
:lol: ok.

Joe G
01-11-2016, 03:24 AM
Killed me with that one, Joe ;-)

:webers:

Joe G
01-11-2016, 03:25 AM

:haha:

68fastback
01-11-2016, 03:30 AM

:webers:

The Bone
01-11-2016, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Tommy Gun;335885]What's wrong w a burnout at a car show? :look:[/QUOT
The cops show up

twobjshelbys
01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
No so bad ...I do all of mine ....each one only takes one click and few minutes to rip to MP3 (once you set how you want it done -- easy peasy) in Media Player or player or app of your choice ...just start with a handful you like best which will only take 15 minutes to RIP.

Yeah, one winter weekend a few years ago I converted all of our CDs to iTunes. I still buy CDs since I like having my stuff "in my hands" instead of floating around in an electronic wilderness to lose.

68fastback
01-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I still buy the CD and RIP it myself too.

I was tempted to let Amazon send me the MP3s for free (they offer that as soon as you buy a CD) but then I read their T&Cs on that :nonono:

...and I would never use iTunes :nonono: (predatory company, predatory product).

Tommy Gun
01-11-2016, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Tommy Gun;335885]What's wrong w a burnout at a car show? :look:[/QUOT
The cops show up

Cops suck

:look:

Tommy Gun
01-11-2016, 06:51 PM
........since I like having my stuff "in my hands" .....

:nonono:

:ban:

:tiptoe:

Carnut
01-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Okay, I spent the last 4 hours trying to rip a CD. I could never rip one but I broke several. I guess I'll end up burning them and see what happens.

68fastback
01-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Okay, I spent the last 4 hours trying to rip a CD. I could never rip one but I broke several. I guess I'll end up burning them and see what happens.

In that case ...I think you'll need one of these :lol:

http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15317&stc=1

Carnut
01-15-2016, 08:29 PM
I now have 360 miles on the new Mustang. I am pretty much getting used to the car and it's options, getting to be one with the car. I haven't really nailed the car yet but was feeling frisky today. I hit it at about 10 mph in first, ran it out to 6500rpm, shifted fairly hard but not a real power shift. The traction control was on the in the normal driving mode. The car overpowered all the controls and allowed me to really light up the tires in 2nd and allowed the car to get a little sideways, just short of the point where I would have lifted. 80 mph came up all to quick and jumped on the brakes. On a city street, didn't want to get too stupid.

All I can say is wow!!. It feels just as quick as my 2 GT-500's (2007 and 8). My Chevy buddy was impressed but swore me to secrecy.

68fastback
01-16-2016, 12:15 AM
Sweet! :chirp:

Tommy Gun
01-16-2016, 12:25 AM
Nice :wtg:

Joe G
01-16-2016, 02:45 AM
:wow2: that's more miles than HSURB has on his 10 year old GT500! :faint:

Alloy Dave
01-16-2016, 04:10 AM
When you get a chance, take a few pics of the dash/gauges in daytime and also with lights on at night.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Tommy Gun
01-16-2016, 11:06 AM
When you get a chance, take a few pics of the dash/gauges in daytime and also with lights on at night.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Ok :look:

The Bone
01-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Disable the windows going down when you hold the unlock button. I had that happen on my truck and it was raining cats and dogs. The neighbor came over and told me. Nice guy. Yes it was wet inside. Had to wipe it out. Lucky no damage to anything. it was really wet.

Tommy Gun
01-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Huh?

Carnut
01-16-2016, 12:27 PM
He is talking about the Global Window Open feature of the car. All of the windows open when holding the remote down (maybe you click it twice). Although I think this might be a really nice feature when it 110 out, to let the hot air out some before you get in the car.

HSURB
01-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Ok :look:

What did you get TG?

HSURB®

68fastback
01-16-2016, 06:24 PM
He is talking about the Global Window Open feature of the car. All of the windows open when holding the remote down (maybe you click it twice). Although I think this might be a really nice feature when it 110 out, to let the hot air out some before you get in the car.

Joe is installing that feature in the new house...

...bathrooms :haha: :sofa:

Tommy Gun
01-16-2016, 10:11 PM

Most nice cars had this almost 10 years ago. Glad Mustang stepped into the future.

Never heard of it locking the windows up though.

Tommy Gun
01-16-2016, 10:11 PM
What did you get TG?

HSURB®

I haven't bought anything new at this point, just thinking.

Tommy Gun
01-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Joe is installing that feature in the new house...

...bathrooms :haha: :sofa:

That's some funny sh!t right there.

Joe G
01-17-2016, 12:52 AM
Disable the windows going down when you hold the unlock button. I had that happen on my truck and it was raining cats and dogs. The neighbor came over and told me. Nice guy. Yes it was wet inside. Had to wipe it out. Lucky no damage to anything. it was really wet.

:dufus:

The Bone
01-18-2016, 01:45 PM
I disabled that thing quick. I see no reason for this as it would take a long time for all the heat to be removed from the interior of a car. I have it in the SHO and have never used it. You have to be able to see your car so some ass hat doesn't steal your car.

Tommy Gun
01-18-2016, 09:07 PM
We used it all the time on different cars on car lots in the summer to let the heat out.

Carnut
01-21-2016, 09:38 PM
So I decided to clean the "leather trimmed" seats in the new Mustang today. They didn't quite feel like leather with the exception possibly the perforated seat inserts. Not that I am bitching about it, but I want to know so I know what products I can safely use on them.

Anyone know, for sure?

Tommy Gun
01-21-2016, 10:12 PM
:popcorn:

Carnut
01-21-2016, 10:43 PM
:popcorn:

I was asking a question, Laughing Popcorn Boy.:boink:

Tommy Gun
01-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Oh :crutch:

Got a pic or two of the type seat you have?

68fastback
01-22-2016, 01:07 AM
http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15425&stc=1

Carnut
01-22-2016, 01:12 AM
Thanks Dan.

Alrighty then, TG, ball is in your court,

68fastback
01-22-2016, 01:18 AM
They are one of the most comfortable stock car seats I've ever sat in ...local dealer has a GT Premium on the floor. I'd bet the base seats in the six are the same underneath, just fabric-clad ...they feel identical comfy-wise.

Carnut
01-22-2016, 01:23 AM
They are one of the most comfortable stock car seats I've ever sat in ...local dealer has a GT Premium on the floor. I'd bet the base seats in the six are the same underneath, just fabric-clad ...they feel identical comfy-wise.

I agree, they even have power lumbar support in them. The only thing they can't do is give you............um, nevermind.

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 02:22 AM
I don't remember, are the middles suade ? Or smooth?

Just wondering

As far as adding conditioner and or cleaners...

First I don't trust any cleaners on today's leathers. Leather dye today isn't resistant to as many chemicals as leather from 20 years ago...thank the environmentalist. Just use water w a touch of dawn and ammonia if need be.

Conditioners such as Mothers or Meguires can be applied to a clean rag/towel first then to the seat.

The top surfaces of the seats are leather and the sides, back and probably the headrest are vinyl.

Both the leather and the vinyl can be treated.

The chemicals in the conditioners will add moisturizers and a bit of UV protectorant, so good for both materials. I've even used it on plastics many times.

What was the question again? :rofl3:

Alloy Dave
01-22-2016, 02:23 AM
http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15425&stc=1
That looks awfully slow.

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 02:25 AM
...as far as suade you're on your own, suade sucks as far as treating.

Only thing I could suggest is Scotchguard...after taping off all the leather/vinyl.

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 02:26 AM
That looks awfully slow.

:goodpost:

Joe G
01-22-2016, 04:15 AM
That looks awfully slow.
:boink:

68fastback
01-22-2016, 04:56 AM
I agree, they even have power lumbar support in them. The only thing they can't do is give you............um, nevermind.

:rofl3:

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 10:49 AM
By power lumbar support, do you mean the switch that pumps up the lower back of the seat?

Like in the GT500's?

The ones that all went bad after a year or 2?

Never fixed mine, but planned on taking the seat apart and adding extra foam for support since I hear even replacing the $400 part they go bad soon after. :(

The Bone
01-22-2016, 11:37 AM
With what they charge for leather you would think they could covert the entire seat. Sheesh they don't even cover the back seat in leather at all.

Carnut
01-22-2016, 12:00 PM
I don't remember, are the middles suade ? Or smooth?

Just wondering

As far as adding conditioner and or cleaners...

First I don't trust any cleaners on today's leathers. Leather dye today isn't resistant to as many chemicals as leather from 20 years ago...thank the environmentalist. Just use water w a touch of dawn and ammonia if need be.

Conditioners such as Mothers or Meguires can be applied to a clean rag/towel first then to the seat.

The top surfaces of the seats are leather and the sides, back and probably the headrest are vinyl.

Both the leather and the vinyl can be treated.

The chemicals in the conditioners will add moisturizers and a bit of UV protectorant, so good for both materials. I've even used it on plastics many times.

What was the question again? :rofl3:

No suede, it is all smooth.

Thanks for your input. Back to cleaning and conditioning.

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Knew I spelled suede wrong. :nonono:

Autocorrect wouldn't help. :(

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 12:30 PM
With what they charge for leather you would think they could covert the entire seat. Sheesh they don't even cover the back seat in leather at all.

#CowLivesMatter

Carnut
01-22-2016, 01:24 PM
By power lumbar support, do you mean the switch that pumps up the lower back of the seat?

Like in the GT500's?

Never fixed mine, but planned on taking the seat apart and adding extra foam for support since I hear even replacing the $400 part they go bad soon after. :(

I never noticed power lumbar in either the 2007 or 2008 GT500. You sure you have (or had) it?

Joe G
01-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Like in the GT500's?

Really? Mine still works fine.

Alloy Dave
01-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Mine too.

68fastback
01-22-2016, 05:11 PM
The one in the Fusion still works fine ...tho I typically leave it fully deflated (most comfy for me) since I like a more Euro driving position (seat tilted back more and elbows only bent slightly) and no 'lump' in my back :mafiasmilie:

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 06:34 PM
I never noticed power lumbar in either the 2007 or 2008 GT500. You sure you have (or had) it?

Yep

Button stopped pumping the seat up after I think 3 years.

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Have you ever used it?

Does your car have over 5000 miles yet?

Alloy Dave
01-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Yep

I think the question is whether it is truly "power"...I can't recall. Some cars just have an air bladder and no electric motor.

Alloy Dave
01-22-2016, 07:51 PM
Yep

Maybe your bladder has a leak. :look:

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 08:13 PM
I think the question is whether it is truly "power"...I can't recall. Some cars just have an air bladder and no electric motor.

You think it gets pumped up using magic ? :rolleyes:

Joe G
Yep

Did you tap into the pump for Sharun? :pumpsharun:

Joe G
Have you ever used it?

Does your car have over 5000 miles yet?
Yes and yes! :rant:

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 08:14 PM

Actually, I never even checked if it was a blown fuse. Just heard most people posting about it say the bladders went bad...

Joe G
You think it gets pumped up using magic ? :rolleyes:

Yep.

Tommy Gun
Yes and yes! :rant:

Over 5050 miles ?

Joe G
01-22-2016, 08:15 PM

He is old ya know. :shades:

Joe G
01-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Over 5050 miles ?
Yes!! :rant:

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 08:18 PM
5055?

:hiding:

Joe G
01-22-2016, 08:20 PM
5055?

:hiding:

Maybe this spring. :pray:

Tommy Gun
01-22-2016, 08:27 PM
That's what I thought.

Alloy Dave
01-22-2016, 09:00 PM
You think it gets pumped up using magic ? :rolleyes:No, I just can't recall if your finger does the pumping versus a motor. Kinda like how some women like batteries and some don't. :look:

Joe G
01-23-2016, 01:08 AM

Tommy Gun
01-23-2016, 01:10 AM
No, I just can't recall if your finger does the pumping versus a motor. Kinda like how some women like batteries and some don't. :look:

The side of the seat in my '07 has a switch...you push one end and it pumps up, you push the other end and it deflates.

Alloy Dave
01-25-2016, 03:39 AM
The side of the seat in my '07 has a switch...you push one end and it pumps up, you push the other end and it deflates.Is it a New England Patriots car?

Tommy Gun
01-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Huh?

CH53Driver
01-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Huh?

You don't watch much NFL do you?

68fastback
01-25-2016, 04:57 PM
Carnut, what oil does the '15 GT spec?

Tommy Gun
01-25-2016, 07:47 PM
You don't watch much NFL do you?

:umno:

Carnut
01-25-2016, 08:56 PM
Carnut, what oil does the '15 GT spec?

5w20 semi synthetic.

68fastback
01-25-2016, 09:45 PM
:tiphat2:

The Bone
01-26-2016, 11:50 AM
5w20 semi synthetic.
Don't buy the blend. No telling how much conventional is blended with synthetic.

Carnut
01-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Don't buy the blend. No telling how much conventional is blended with synthetic.

Most synthetics are made from conventional oil so it is pretty hard to find true synthetic.

Tommy Gun
01-26-2016, 09:46 PM
:goodpost:

All hype to make more :spend:

68fastback
01-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Most synthetics are made from conventional oil so it is pretty hard to find true synthetic.

That's true but synth is superior to synth blend regardless of the synth's molecular source (oil, natural gas or other). Synth blend is identical to just mixing some synth in with conventional oil (really). In contrast, full synth has no conventional oil structure in it whatsoever -- regardless of molecular source -- because it's all been restructured into synthetic chains.

That said, some say synth from natural gas and some other sources is superior to synth from oils but there is no incontrovertible evidence that is true in any material/scientific sense, advertising hype aside.

Tommy Gun
01-27-2016, 12:29 AM
Huh? :faint:

Joe G
01-27-2016, 12:54 AM
Oh crap! Hope this doesn't turn into that "What oil is best" thread on TS years ago. :banghead:

Grabber
01-27-2016, 01:10 AM
I like the silver look. Can't wait to see some photos.

Grabber
01-27-2016, 01:12 AM

Nice !:goodpost:

Joe G
01-27-2016, 01:35 AM
Nice !:goodpost:
:tiphat:

:bigboss:

Tommy Gun
01-27-2016, 02:08 AM
:doh:

68fastback
01-27-2016, 03:42 AM
Oh crap! Hope this doesn't turn into that "What oil is best" thread on TS years ago. :banghead:

:spitcopy: Remember that crap? Dude was getting 'kickbacks' to stump for brand 'x' but wouldn't fess-up ...then the law passed making it a crime to do so unannounced and I called him out on it and he sort of disappeared to another site to play the game there. I found where he went and was going to do the same there but decided it's better if he just stays there -lol What a BS ordeal tho.

Tommy Gun
01-27-2016, 10:03 AM
TS was/is the site for those not fessing up when called out. Just sayin'

Tommy Gun
01-27-2016, 10:23 AM
http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/mustang/2015/bed-products.html

The Bone
01-27-2016, 11:18 AM
:goodpost: bad accessory's?
Would Ford sell crap? :nonono:

CH53Driver
01-27-2016, 01:36 PM

Is that why you moved over here? Called out too many times? :look:

Joe G
01-27-2016, 01:59 PM

:sofa:

Carnut
01-27-2016, 02:10 PM
That's true but synth is superior to synth blend regardless of the synth's molecular source (oil, natural gas or other). Synth blend is identical to just mixing some synth in with conventional oil (really). In contrast, full synth has no conventional oil structure in it whatsoever -- regardless of molecular source -- because it's all been restructured into synthetic chains.

That said, some say synth from natural gas and some other sources is superior to synth from oils but there is no incontrovertible evidence that is true in any material/scientific sense, advertising hype aside.

Synthetic oil that you buy at the store is not necessarily the best oil for all applications. Hot Rodders have been plagued by camshaft failures over the last decade or so using flat tappet camshafts. In some cases the failure is almost immediate and almost always when using synthetic oil like Mobli One. The reason is the same one that forced auto manufacturers to go to roller lifters years ago, the catalytic converter.

All major oils back then used zinc and phosphorus as an anti gall and dampening agent. Those additives proved to reduce the life of catalytic converters and it was removed from most engine oils, the manufactures started hyping synthetic oils and zinc and phosphorus all but disappeared from the new wonder synthetics and conventional oil. In addition, manufacturers are pushing lighter and lighter synthetic oils to reduce parasitic horsepower loss to improve gas mileage. The synthetic oil guys hyped there product as being superior and the consumer with older flat tappet engines were sucked in, changed oils and lost camshafts one after the other.

Enter Valvoline a decade or so ago. They new, like every other oil manufacturer, the problem was oil. They developed conventional racing oil with zinc and phosphorus added back in the percentages necessary. Some synthetics tried to substitute other additives to solve the issue but failed. Some even added minuscule amounts of zinc and phosphorus back in, but it was fakery and the amounts did no good.

If you have a flat tappet motor, use Valvoline conventional racing oil with added zinc and phosphorus. It is labeled for off road use only. If you have a modern engine with roller cams and catalytic converters use whatever flips your switch. I used the old stuff in my modern engine in my non catalyst car.

Carnut
01-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Oh, I forgot. I am not an agent (shill) for any oil manufacturer nor am I or every have been a member of the communist party.

68fastback
01-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Synthetic oil that you buy at the store is not necessarily the best oil for all applications. Hot Rodders have been plagued by camshaft failures over the last decade or so using flat tappet camshafts. In some cases the failure is almost immediate and almost always when using synthetic oil like Mobli One. The reason is the same one that forced auto manufacturers to go to roller lifters years ago, the catalytic converter.

All major oils back then used zinc and phosphorus as an anti gall and dampening agent. Those additives proved to reduce the life of catalytic converters and it was removed from most engine oils, the manufactures started hyping synthetic oils and zinc and phosphorus all but disappeared from the new wonder synthetics and conventional oil. In addition, manufacturers are pushing lighter and lighter synthetic oils to reduce parasitic horsepower loss to improve gas mileage. The synthetic oil guys hyped there product as being superior and the consumer with older flat tappet engines were sucked in, changed oils and lost camshafts one after the other.

Enter Valvoline a decade or so ago. They new, like every other oil manufacturer, the problem was oil. They developed conventional racing oil with zinc and phosphorus added back in the percentages necessary. Some synthetics tried to substitute other additives to solve the issue but failed. Some even added minuscule amounts of zinc and phosphorus back in, but it was fakery and the amounts did no good.

If you have a flat tappet motor, use Valvoline conventional racing oil with added zinc and phosphorus. It is labeled for off road use only. If you have a modern engine with roller cams and catalytic converters use whatever flips your switch. I used the old stuff in my modern engine in my non catalyst car.

yep ...nice summary and great reminder for everyone ...exactly right! ...between oil damage to older and race engines and ethanol fuel corrosion in oldies it was a bad learning curve for too many ...the gov doesn't care and the oil manufacturers were largely silent.

5W20 full synth should be perfect for a new GT tho. If it were me I'd actually run the first 1 (or 2, if 1st change is done early) changes with the recommended semi-synth and then go to full synth. Is that sort of what you were considering?

There is a benefit to the low-W oils (beside the mfgrs trying to squeak out the last 1/10 mpg) and that's rapid cold push-up to the valve-train -- esp important for OHCs. Ford even builds a small reservoir right in the head of the DOHCs to buffer the time delay somewhat. I think 80-90% of normal engine wear occurs in the first 5-7 seconds or so after start-up -- until oil pressure stabilizes.

Oh, I forgot. I am not an agent (shill) for any oil manufacturer nor am I or every have been a member of the communist party.

They're watching you, squirrel :birdy: :haha:

Carnut
01-27-2016, 05:13 PM
I intend to break it in on the blend since that is what is in it I think. I'll likely change it at 3k and 8k even though the service interval is supposed to be approximately 10K. And yes the full synthetic would be a good choice as that is what the engine is designed for.

twobjshelbys
01-27-2016, 07:49 PM
For oil, in the end, it is important to use the right formulation spec. For a long time Ford was the only source for the oil used in the GT500 and Ford GT. Within the last couple of years other manufacturers have started making oil that meets the spec. (I don't have details handy but you get the gist.)

Carnut
01-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I think these special formulations helped to maintain a minimum film thickness in the moving parts subjected to the increased loads of a supercharged motor. Rod bearings, piston pins and the like. Increased zinc and phosphorus would help these load points, but alas, those additives are a no no for catalyzed engines.

Tommy Gun
01-27-2016, 09:48 PM
Is that why you moved over here? Called out too many times? :look:

Maybe :look:

Tommy Gun
01-27-2016, 09:49 PM
I intend to break it in on the blend since that is what is in it I think. I'll likely change it at 3k and 8k even though the service interval is supposed to be approximately 10K. And yes the full synthetic would be a good choice as that is what the engine is designed for.

If I had one I would probably have to do it at 4780 miles. Just sayin' :innocent:

Carnut
01-27-2016, 10:25 PM
If I had one I would probably have to do it at 4780 miles. Just sayin' :innocent:

I know what you mean :innocent:

Tommy Gun
01-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Crazy oil change intervals. :look:

68fastback
01-28-2016, 01:47 AM
The Fusion 5W20 "recommends" semi-synth but conventional SL or SM is "approved" I've used semi-synth about every 3300 mi and if I get a good deal on full synth then every 5K. Can certainly go longer but I think oil is cheap insurance. I' m amazed at these new engines ...I can't even detect oil consumption in 5K on the dipstick of the Fusion.

The old Taurus's Vulcan pushrod V6 was another story but sure responded well to the more frequent changes. When we bought it at 95K mi, best as I could tell from the service records it was only changed about every 10K (at best!) and seemingly often just topped-up for even longer intervals with 'crap' oil (college kid owned it and most miles were between wst coast and Tx). In the first couple of years we had it, it was burning a bit over 1/2 qt in about 800 mi (believe it or not the industry spec for "excessive oil consumption" is "no more than 1 full qt in 800 miles :yikes:) which seems high to me. When we sold the old Taurus with close to 300K on it, it was burning a 1/2 qt in 2000-2200 mi -- nearly a 3-fold improvement ...and that was just conventional oil every 3K for the first 100K or so and then semi-synth every 3K for the last 70K or so. I also used Lucas injector cleaner regularly and Marvel Mystery Oil which I think helped 'clean' the old Taurus V6 up a bit (I was scared to pull a valve cover -lol) so not sure what exactly contributed to the improvement over the years, but mileage also improved 10-15% too ...no complaint at 25-26 around town and 30-31hiway -- same as the Fusion which is 17 years newer and is a 4-banger! :doh2:

Carnut
01-28-2016, 02:22 AM
An old trick that seemed to work on those engines that never got regular oil changes was to half and half engine oll and auto trans fluid. Dexron was good because if its high detergent. Seem to clean the rings and other things up in a couple thousand miles. Good high detergent motor oil after that. Some times all the seals and gaskets leaked for awhile but seemed to stop usually.

68fastback
01-28-2016, 03:36 AM
An old trick that seemed to work on those engines that never got regular oil changes was to half and half engine oll and auto trans fluid. Dexron was good because if its high detergent. Seem to clean the rings and other things up in a couple thousand miles. Good high detergent motor oil after that. Some times all the seals and gaskets leaked for awhile but seemed to stop usually.

That's probably why the Marvel Mystery Oil helped ...it's sort of like Dexron

Lots of the locals still mix some kerosene or tranny fluid in with oil for the coldest weather ...so the ol' cars & farm trucks will crank and start.

Tommy Gun
01-28-2016, 10:00 AM
I don't want any tranny fluid anywhere near me. Just sayin'

Carnut
01-28-2016, 12:41 PM
Dan brought up the tranny fluid.

The Bone
01-28-2016, 02:33 PM
I was always under the impression that full synthetic oils were able to withstand heat better than conventional oil. Since the truck and HSO both have turbos and when you shut them off the oil that lubs them also stops. I was hoping that synthetic oil wouldn't cook on the bearing shaft.

68fastback
01-28-2016, 03:22 PM
I think they do ...Mobil-1 built their early ad campaign around that.

68fastback
01-28-2016, 03:22 PM
I don't want any tranny fluid anywhere near me. Just sayin'

TMI :ban: :rofl3:

Carnut
01-28-2016, 03:36 PM
From everything I have read over the years, in general, full synthetics are supposed to better for the bearings in turbos. Supposedly they don't coke up as easilty and maintain a higher film strength at higher temperatures. That being said, factory turbo installations have improved a lot over the years and they have addressed some of the old issues with better lubrication of turbos. I think the cooling system on these also cools the turbo itself but you would have to research that yourself (or Dan). Going back to a safe default, what does your owner's manual recommend?

Tommy Gun
01-28-2016, 05:37 PM
I was always under the impression that full synthetic oils were able to withstand heat better than conventional oil. Since the truck and HSO both have turbos and when you shut them off the oil that lubs them also stops. I was hoping that synthetic oil wouldn't cook on the bearing shaft.

I don't know what piece of crap truck you bought, but in our truck if the turbo is still hot enough you can hear the oil still pumping through it after shutdown. :flex:

Course had to ask the dealer what the noise was initially :giggle:

Tommy Gun
01-28-2016, 09:18 PM
TMI :ban: :rofl3:

Tommy Gun
01-28-2016, 09:20 PM
From everything I have read over the years, in general, full synthetics are supposed to better for the bearings in turbos. Supposedly they don't coke up as easilty and maintain a higher film strength at higher temperatures. That being said, factory turbo installations have improved a lot over the years and they have addressed some of the old issues with better lubrication of turbos. I think the cooling system on these also cools the turbo itself but you would have to research that yourself (or Dan). Going back to a safe default, what does your owner's manual recommend?

Can you explain this "easilty" word? :popcorn:

Tommy Gun
01-28-2016, 09:21 PM
...and Joe is the only thing around here that I know "cokes up". :look:

Tommy Gun
01-28-2016, 09:31 PM

On the diesels they use SD oil. (Super Duty) I thought mainly because of diesel, but maybe it's partly because of the turbo?

Our EcoFail had a turbo, but I think it still used regular Syn Blend, no specialty oil.

Who really knows? Thing w turbos I think? is they spin up to stupid speeds like 3-4 times engine revs so lube is critical.

Me thinks we are in the dark for the most part...they are just trying to sell more product and say whatever they can to sell more product when we may be able to get a gallon of Wesson oil at the supermarket for $4 and lube our cars just as well as an $80 oil change w synthetics....I volunteer Carnut to prove this theory. I'll send him $8 for the 8 quarts required in his GT. :popcorn:

Carnut
01-28-2016, 10:09 PM
On the diesels they use SD oil. (Super Duty) I thought mainly because of diesel, but maybe it's partly because of the turbo?

Our EcoFail had a turbo, but I think it still used regular Syn Blend, no specialty oil.

Who really knows? Thing w turbos I think? is they spin up to stupid speeds like 3-4 times engine revs so lube is critical.

Me thinks we are in the dark for the most part...they are just trying to sell more product and say whatever they can to sell more product when we may be able to get a gallon of Wesson oil at the supermarket for $4 and lube our cars just as well as an $80 oil change w synthetics....I volunteer Carnut to prove this theory. I'll send him $8 for the 8 quarts required in his GT. :popcorn:

The problem with Wesson oil is everyone is asking who has fried chicken.

Tommy Gun
01-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Only people asking that question is everyone "behind" me. :wtg:

Alloy Dave
01-29-2016, 01:03 AM

When working for Cummins I worked in the turbo lab in the R&D center for a few months. We used to do "burst tests" where we'd spin the turbos up until they exploded...usually around 120,000 RPM. THe walls of that room were 8" thick concrete block (solid, not hollow).

Carnut
01-29-2016, 01:36 AM
After much searching through a 440 page long owners manual ( I remember when 25 pages was a big manual) I finally found the oil specification for the 5.0 engine as follows:

5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W20-QSP (WSS-M2C945-A). Capacity is 8 quarts with a service change interval of 5,000 to 10.000 miles depending up the severity of use.

So given the fact the Ford recommends the blend which is a heck of lot cheaper than full synthetic, I will probably change the oil at about 2000 miles and go from there at a maximum of 5000 miles or time whichever is appropriate.

68fastback
01-29-2016, 01:53 AM
Ecoboost turbos are water-cooled and oil lubed.

onecrazydog
01-29-2016, 03:26 AM
This thread needs more pics of the Nut mobile...

Carnut
01-29-2016, 03:36 AM
Youre right, too much PWing, more pics. I will take some this weekend.

Alloy Dave
01-29-2016, 04:23 AM
Youre right, too much PWing, more pics. I will take some this weekend.
:waiting:

Get the interior/dash/gauges too.

Tommy Gun
01-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Ecoboost turbos are water-cooled and oil lubed.

I've wondered if I hear an oil pump or water pump cooling the turbo in the SD truck. :(

Tommy Gun
01-29-2016, 11:34 AM
After much searching through a 440 page long owners manual ( I remember when 25 pages was a big manual) I finally found the oil specification for the 5.0 engine as follows:

5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W20-QSP (WSS-M2C945-A). Capacity is 8 quarts with a service change interval of 5,000 to 10.000 miles depending up the severity of use.

So given the fact the Ford recommends the blend which is a heck of lot cheaper than full synthetic, I will probably change the oil at about 2000 miles and go from there at a maximum of 5000 miles or time whichever is appropriate.

The owners manual has an index. :look:

The Bone
01-29-2016, 12:57 PM
I just don't understand why they would blend synthetic with conventional oil in the first place. Why dont they tell you the % of blend? I have always used Molil 1 and have had great results. Not one oil leak so I figure that its good for the seals. I do however believe conventional oils today are better than back in the 60's. The dealer always offers a oil change with the blend only for $30.
Diesels call for diesel oil. More confushion LOL

The Bone
01-29-2016, 12:58 PM
The way Ford fixed the Mustang now would be a great model to make a GT500 from.

CH53Driver
01-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Oh, I forgot. I am not an agent (shill) for any oil manufacturer nor am I or every have been a member of the communist squirrel party.

Fixed.

Joe G
01-29-2016, 04:44 PM
The owners manual has an index. :look:

He likes to read back. :reading:

68fastback
01-29-2016, 05:08 PM
I've wondered if I hear an oil pump or water pump cooling the turbo in the SD truck. :(

I suspect they don't pump the oil after shutdown but may pump coolant -dunno. I saw a cutaway several years ago ...fairly small passageways ...and the turbos are physically very small too as I recall ...the actual turbine impellers themselves looked to be only silver dollar-sized in diameter.

Tommy Gun
01-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Well I'll have to look into replacing it w a bigger turbo then.

Carnut
01-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Or maybe twin turbos with intakes sticking out of the hood. Maybe you could race the Farm Truck. Maybe you could track it.

Tommy Gun
01-29-2016, 08:38 PM
:doh:

Carnut
01-29-2016, 08:41 PM
:play:

Joe G
01-29-2016, 08:41 PM
TG's gonna need a much larger driveway to put all these vehicles. :wow2:

Tommy Gun
01-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Why?

I'm not buying anymore vehicles than I've had in the past?

Joe G
01-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Why?

I'm not buying anymore vehicles than I've had in the past?

:rolleyes:

68fastback
01-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Well I'll have to look into replacing it w a bigger turbo then.

...this one should do it!

http://stangsunited.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15509&stc=1 :chirp:

Carnut
01-29-2016, 10:15 PM

Tommy Gun
01-29-2016, 11:07 PM

ItalianStallion
01-30-2016, 01:43 AM
Must be Texas

Tommy Gun
01-30-2016, 11:29 AM
:waiting:

Get the interior/dash/gauges too.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Track/th_DSC01531_zpsyx75abgs.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Track/DSC01531_zpsyx75abgs.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Track/th_DSC01532_zpswviu8upw.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Track/DSC01532_zpswviu8upw.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Track/th_DSC01538_zpsqawj44i9.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Track/DSC01538_zpsqawj44i9.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Track/th_DSC01537_zpsqnmttelg.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Track/DSC01537_zpsqnmttelg.jpg.html)

I stopped by Carnuts... :look:

Joe G
01-30-2016, 02:30 PM
I went out to the driveway... :look:

:logical:

Carnut
01-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Hummmmm.

Karnut knows everything............http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M66c53c0de2f39a8cb8e8be01bb53dedao0&w=299&h=169&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

68fastback
01-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Is that Karnak's bro?

Tommy Gun
01-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Hummmmm.

Karnut knows everything............http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M66c53c0de2f39a8cb8e8be01bb53dedao0&w=299&h=169&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Forgot to send you latest. :innocent:

Tommy Gun
01-31-2016, 01:18 AM
You get rid of this Behemoth yet Carnut?

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Track/th_DSC01543_zpseagoshrb.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Track/DSC01543_zpseagoshrb.jpg.html)

LOL

Carnut
01-31-2016, 02:17 AM
You get rid of this Behemoth yet Carnut?

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Track/th_DSC01543_zpseagoshrb.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Track/DSC01543_zpseagoshrb.jpg.html)

LOL

No, not yet, I only have 504 miles on it.

Carnut
01-31-2016, 02:18 AM
Forgot to send you latest. :innocent:

CP did.

Tommy Gun
01-31-2016, 11:22 AM
:hey2:

Tommy Gun
02-11-2016, 10:11 PM
2015 Mustang GT w Performance pack....front brake pads....jobber...is $195 !!!!!!! :rant:

What the heck Ford? You want us to buy aftermarket??? :rant:

....on the good side, 5W-20 Syn Blend is only $3.15 qt and a filter is only $4.30

Just checking of course....

Tommy Gun
02-11-2016, 10:12 PM
No, not yet, I only have 504 miles on it.

How about now?

Carnut
02-11-2016, 11:42 PM

Tommy Gun
02-11-2016, 11:57 PM
4855.9 :look:

Carnut
02-12-2016, 12:01 AM
:shades:

Tommy Gun
02-12-2016, 12:02 AM

iPad pics suck :(

Carnut
02-12-2016, 12:05 AM
I can't read my mileage.

Tommy Gun
02-12-2016, 12:06 AM
...but thanks for the pic. :look:

Carnut
02-12-2016, 12:11 AM
You're welcome.

Tommy Gun
02-12-2016, 12:39 AM

Tommy Gun
02-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Front brake pads for a 2015-2016 Performance pack front are huge and heavy!

8 lbs 4 ozs !!! :faint:

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_1031_zpsdpbwmsli.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_1031_zpsdpbwmsli.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_1030_zpsgi2w85ea.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_1030_zpsgi2w85ea.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_1033_zps5plxx7ag.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_1033_zps5plxx7ag.jpg.html)

Tommy Gun
02-12-2016, 11:39 PM
Found some nice 2015 pics floating around...

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_0847%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsj4mfa8ge.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_0847%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsj4mfa8ge.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_0850%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsyec9naft.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_0850%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsyec9naft.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_0692%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpspvh9zaf8.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_0692%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpspvh9zaf8.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_0693%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsmu5vbyfv.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_0693%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsmu5vbyfv.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_0855%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zps9slharnp.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_0855%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zps9slharnp.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_0854%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsvmbvpacu.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_0854%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsvmbvpacu.jpg.html)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/fastestshelby2/2015%20Mustang/th_IMG_0869%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsb86xlowc.jpg (http://s670.photobucket.com/user/fastestshelby2/media/2015%20Mustang/IMG_0869%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsb86xlowc.jpg.html)

Carnut
02-13-2016, 01:07 AM
Nice shots. I wonder who the lucky fella is.

Tommy Gun
02-13-2016, 01:12 AM
:sneaking:

Joe G
02-14-2016, 12:40 AM
:sneaking:

Funny that you would have a "2015 Mustang" folder in your Photobucket account. :reading:

Tommy Gun
02-14-2016, 12:43 AM
was a friends car. :look:

Joe G
02-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Oh. :rolleyes:

68fastback
02-14-2016, 02:10 AM
Funny that you would have a "2015 Mustang" folder in your Photobucket account. :reading:

Prolly just a coincidence :giggle:

Tommy Gun
02-14-2016, 02:13 AM
It's possible. :look:

68fastback
02-14-2016, 02:41 AM
...may things are :shades:

Joe G
02-14-2016, 05:48 AM
It's a :conspiracy:. :look:

:iagree:

Tommy Gun
02-14-2016, 12:15 PM
:play:

Carnut
02-14-2016, 01:51 PM

onecrazydog
02-14-2016, 05:54 PM
was a friends car. :look:

"Was", being the key word...

Joe G
02-14-2016, 06:32 PM
"Was", being the key word...
:logical:

Tommy Gun
02-14-2016, 08:40 PM
:but:

Tommy Gun
02-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Flushed brakes, detailed the engine compartment and did a coat of wax, starting to feel more like mine. :look: