PDA

View Full Version : Site Maint

admin
06-13-2016, 10:46 PM
FYI, our highly skilled IT Tech has been conducting routine maintenance and required system updates in the background. If the site seems to not function as it normally would, please advise and what it is doing differently (either here or the Site Troubleshooting Thread). One item our Tech indicated is some of you may have issues with your current PW. New updates now require stronger PW's. If your logging in normally using what you have, then your most likely not affected. A mass gmail will be sent to ensure wide spread info release. Thank you.

68fastback
06-14-2016, 12:39 AM
Keith, you can ignore my email to your personal gmail address asking if this is legit (vs PW phishing) ...made me wonder because it was to "ADCON" (?) and when I tried to respond it would not let me delete the admin address (never saw an email where you can't do that if you want to).

I guess I should log out and try to log back in to see if my PW is ok.

68fastback
06-14-2016, 12:41 AM
I guess PW is good enough -- let me back in :frolic:

admin
07-18-2017, 01:14 AM
ATTENTION SU MEMBERS & GUESTS,

Our server host (KnownHost) will be conducting a migration of our system over to new servers in the not so distant future. This is what they call End Of Life Operating System Notice. Our base operating system (CentOS5x) has reached its tenure. If not updated to the new system (CentOS7), it impacts receiving normal security patch updates, or software updates. They will migrate us to the new CentOS7 64bit system.

This upgrade should take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending on complexity. We are not sure when they will exactly accomplish this migration (trying to ascertain), could be within days, but in any event, it shouldn't cause a site problem, that we know of.

HOWEVER, if you find yourself not able to log into the site during the next 2-5 days, its due to this update. SO DON'T FREAK OUT. :cop3:

When we get the info of potentially when this will occur or if we can expect login issues, we will post here. Our IT guru has already backed up the site...:grin:

Thank you and our apologies in advance for your temporary inconvenience :tiphat2:

68fastback
07-18-2017, 01:48 AM
...thanks for heads-up, Keith :tiphat2:

Joe G
07-18-2017, 02:16 AM

admin
07-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Migration is complete. If you notice any issues please submit in the troubleshooting thread. Enjoy!

68fastback
07-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Awesome!! :woohoo: No issues note so far :banana:

Joe G
07-19-2017, 07:43 PM
:chat:

Tommy Gun
07-20-2017, 09:58 AM
I can't log in or post. :rant:

Boston Mike
07-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Migration is complete. If you notice any issues please submit in the troubleshooting thread. Enjoy!

Why have TG's and Joe's post counts reset to 0?

Joe G
07-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Why have TG's and Joe's post counts reset to 0?

:surprised:

Shelby-Don
07-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Maybe we should start charging by the post !

Tommy Gun
07-20-2017, 09:17 PM
:sherriff:

Highwayman
07-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Maybe we should start charging by the post !

:goodone:

68fastback
08-17-2018, 11:56 PM
In poking around I found this short humorous thread at KnownHost -lol.

Linky (https://www.knownhost.com/forums/threads/another-day-at-knownhost.4196/)

They sure have been very reliable for us!

Tommy Gun
08-18-2018, 01:00 AM
Knownhost is good too...

68fastback
08-18-2018, 01:36 AM
..yeah, them guys. :giggle:

Joker
03-29-2019, 02:55 AM
Ok site is back up. Sorry for the almost 6 hours it was down. I had to do several updates at once and one of the major software updates was a no go and took a bit to figure out.

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Thank you very much for you’re time in doing this, appreciate it very much! :wtg:

Today I will put the order in for the server change so it may be down again.

Highwayman
03-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Great work guys, good to see we will be able to keep the site going in a more economical way

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Just ordered the new server service w auto backups for a 3 year contract.

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 01:17 PM
Just ordered a SSL cert for the site per Robert also.

Only let me do a 2 year contract.

Boston Mike
03-29-2019, 01:42 PM
Ok site is back up. Sorry for the almost 6 hours it was down. I had to do several updates at once and one of the major software updates was a no go and took a bit to figure out.

Thank you for posting so we can all be reminded of the greatness of your avatar.

68fastback
03-29-2019, 03:58 PM

Thank so much Robert!

Hope you're doing well and FEELING well too.

I'm noticing a problem though ...if I type a normal speed it misses a lot of keystrokes and I notice there's the 'processing' circle sort of indicating the page ha not fully loaded. I'll retype this at normal speed below so you can see:

I' oting prlbem thogh ... if Itye norl sed imises a lotth kestroes

Now I'm typing about 2 keystrokes per second and it's ok. See what mean?

I'm using MS IE11 at latest level.

68fastback
03-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Okay, I just logged in with MS Edge and the problem seems to be gone. Does this new level of the system not support IE-11? :yikes:

Highwayman
03-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Just ordered the new server service w auto backups for a 3 year contract.

I just did a backup on Wednesday, was that the last one I should do going forward?

Highwayman
03-29-2019, 05:11 PM
Okay, I just logged in with MS Edge and the problem seems to be gone. Does this new level of the system not support IE-11? :yikes:

No issues for me in Chrome.

Who supports IE anymore????

Joker
03-29-2019, 05:16 PM
Thank you for posting so we can all be reminded of the greatness of your avatar.

Everyone needs a little greatness once in awhile!

Joker
03-29-2019, 05:20 PM

Updated VBulletin to the newest and final version of edition 4. IE-11 unfortunately is probably near its end of life as a web browser. Even MS edge is being replaced by Microsoft.

I just did a backup on Wednesday, was that the last one I should do going forward?

Most likely yes. I havenít seen how they are going to do it but Iím assuming it should be fully automated and delete old backups by itself.

tekheavy
03-29-2019, 05:22 PM
New post counter not working since update.

Joker
03-29-2019, 05:28 PM

I had to disable some of the plugins that control stuff like that to do the update. Some aren’t compatible as they haven’t been updated. I’ll check into it more when I can.

68fastback
03-29-2019, 05:58 PM
No issues for me in Chrome.

Who supports IE anymore????

I won't use Chrome ...it's the product of predatory company.

MS still supports IE. If and when they come out with a new FULL FUNCTION browser I will use that.

...and I won't do Firefox :nonono:

tekheavy
03-29-2019, 08:56 PM
I won't use Chrome ...it's the product of predatory company.

So you don't use Apple products either? :popcorn:

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 11:36 PM

Don’t know, I’ll have to ask how that is handled.

Not sure where I can even see backup dates?

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 11:37 PM
So you don't use Apple products either? :popcorn:

Lol

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 11:38 PM
Iím on Safari usually on an iPad.

Sometimes on the PC and thatís Firefox.

I use to always have issues w IE.

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 11:39 PM

What? :surprised:

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 11:40 PM
Mine is working :tongueflap:

Tommy Gun
03-29-2019, 11:49 PM
Just tried to upload pics from my phone...wouldn’t work. :(

Maybe another forum issue at the moment or perhaps limited to size now.

tekheavy
03-30-2019, 12:18 AM
Mine is working :tongueflap:

Working now. Wasn't before. Joker must have fixed it.

tekheavy
03-30-2019, 12:25 AM
Actually it isn't working correctly. I just read threw all my unread posts and the number never changed.

Tommy Gun
03-30-2019, 12:30 AM
Threw

Blew

Screw

Thru

Through :idea:

Tommy Gun
03-30-2019, 12:31 AM
:oops:

Highwayman
03-30-2019, 09:35 PM
I just fpt ed into the server and I can still see the last two backups I left on there. I will keep monitoring it to see what they do. Joker has it set to create backups on Mondays.

68fastback
04-25-2019, 01:37 AM
Software updates are driving me nutty:

With IE I can stay logged in. With Edge I have to log in every time and if I open multiple tabs for posts I haven't read (works fine with IE) I have to log in for EVERY post :doh: and then, since the post count is messed-up I can't get back to those posts :rant:

I can't insert ANY text with IE (e.g. paste anything) and can't drag any text. With Edge I can cut and paste text but can't drag text.

With IE I can't insert pics at all. The pull down and upload seems to 'work' but the pic never actually appears in the post or even at the bottom. With Edge the upload works and a thumbnail appears at the bottom, not in the actual post -argh!

There's many other things that don't work as before, or properly, or at all.

Don't mean this to sound like I'm complaining -- I know we had to 'upgrade' the SW but it's just a PITA to do anything that used to be so easy. :( I haven't been posting up a lot of auto news items and pics because it takes forever using TWO browsers (IE to keep access to page addresses and Edge to paste text) and even then it's hobbled having to keep logging in, etc. Oh, well.

tekheavy
04-25-2019, 01:44 AM
Software updates are driving me nutty:

With IE I can stay logged in. With Edge I have to log in every time and if I open multiple tabs for posts I haven't read (works fine with IE) I have to log in for EVERY post :doh: and then, since the post count is messed-up I can't get back to those posts :rant:

I can't insert ANY text with IE (e.g. paste anything) and can't drag any text. With Edge I can cut and paste text but can't drag text.

With IE I can't insert pics at all. The pull down and upload seems to 'work' but the pic never actually appears in the post or even at the bottom. With Edge the upload works and a thumbnail appears at the bottom, not in the actual post -argh!

There's many other things that don't work as before, or properly, or at all.

Don't mean this to sound like I'm complaining -- I know we had to 'upgrade' the SW but it's just a PITA to do anything that used to be so easy. :( I haven't been posting up a lot of auto news items and pics because it takes forever using TWO browsers (IE to keep access to page addresses and Edge to paste text) and even then it's hobbled having to keep logging in, etc. Oh, well.

I have none of those problems using Chrome.

twobjshelbys
04-25-2019, 02:44 AM
I have none of those problems using Chrome.

Firefox is fine too.

68fastback
04-25-2019, 03:44 AM
Good to know :tiphat2:

Shame it doesn't work with any MS browser :( ...maybe the one they have in the pipeline will work ...next year, I think.

twobjshelbys
04-25-2019, 03:53 PM
IE doesn't work with a lot of sites now. I still have it (since it is in Windows 7) but use it only as a backup, as there are a few old sites that crop up every once in a while that Firefox doesn't do well with. Pretty much "old stuff, old browser (IE)", "new stuff, new browser (Firefox)".

Windows 7 dies pretty soon so we'll have to refresh laptops next year. Its a shame because this T540p is a brick.

68fastback
04-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Yeah, 7 will be a goner. I liked 7 but have come to like 10 as much, once you turn off all the BS it's really excellnt. I've been using 10 (64-bit) since soon after it came out and it came with IE and Edge -- MS still fully supports IE and I like IE's implementation best tho Edge isn't bad. I Used Chrome on my prior computer for a few months and it worked fine. I used Firefox too and, at the time (2010 or so?), it felt very 'stripped-down.' It's amazing what a fed lawsuit can do. IE went from 95% of the browser market 15 years ago to 65% in 2010, to 2.5% in 2018. Google now has over 90% of the global market -- the better to sell more targeted information -lol

Boston Mike
04-25-2019, 05:40 PM
IE doesn't work with a lot of sites now. I still have it (since it is in Windows 7) but use it only as a backup, as there are a few old sites that crop up every once in a while that Firefox doesn't do well with. Pretty much "old stuff, old browser (IE)", "new stuff, new browser (Firefox)".

Windows 7 dies pretty soon so we'll have to refresh laptops next year. Its a shame because this T540p is a brick.

hows it working with your Blackberry? :look:

twobjshelbys
04-25-2019, 06:51 PM
hows it working with your Blackberry? :look:

Gone years ago, because the touch screen failed (they used a screen that had a click to it). It's still the best phone I ever had. But even they caved in to the Android OS and added their own security on top of it. Doesn't the fed still use Blackberries? (Wasn't Hillary's phone a BB?)

Mine now is a 2+ year old Samsung Galaxy S7. Works great although battery is starting to fade. Got the boss a new iPhone Xr so our 2 year clock has to expire before I refresh. I'll take it to the phone place in Walmart to replace the battery.

68fastback
04-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Gone years ago, because the touch screen failed (they used a screen that had a click to it). It's still the best phone I ever had. But even they caved in to the Android OS and added their own security on top of it. Doesn't the fed still use Blackberries? (Wasn't Hillary's phone a BB?)

Mine now is a 2+ year old Samsung Galaxy S7. Works great although battery is starting to fade. Got the boss a new iPhone Xr so our 2 year clock has to expire before I refresh. I'll take it to the phone place in Walmart to replace the battery.

Those guys are usually great! Nanajan got a used iPhone 7s from a friend who cracked the screen so bought a new iPhone X. Walmart guy said $65 (and it's not an easy replace on the 7s) and if we want to do the battery at the same time (optional) it's $35 instead of usual $60, so screen and battery would be $100 even ...an he does it in an hour! When I did her 4s battery that alone took me about an hour -lol- not counting researching the part number and watching several youtube videos ...easily another 2-3 hours :rofl3:

twobjshelbys
04-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Those guys are usually great! Nanajan got a used iPhone 7s from a friend who cracked the screen so bought a new iPhone X. Walmart guy said $65 (and it's not an easy replace on the 7s) and if we want to do the battery at the same time (optional) it's $35 instead of usual $60, so screen and battery would be $100 even ...an he does it in an hour! When I did her 4s battery that alone took me about an hour -lol- not counting researching the part number and watching several youtube videos ...easily another 2-3 hours :rofl3:

I'll only do the battery if it remains waterproof after the case is cracked open. My experience with batteries in watches is batting 0 so now I just buy a new one.

68fastback
04-25-2019, 10:11 PM
I'll only do the battery if it remains waterproof after the case is cracked open. My experience with batteries in watches is batting 0 so now I just buy a new one.

Yeah, I won't do the iPhone 7 ...too much adhesive and short ribbons -- to easy to destroy -lol.

Several years ago before Radioshack went belly-up one of their stores up here used to replace watch batteries for free (if you bought battery there) ...now no one does anything for free -lol But it was just that one store ...the 'shack in the mall wouldn't do it at all.

Tommy Gun
04-26-2019, 12:10 AM
On my PC I have Firefox with Windows 7. works fine.

Usually use Safari on my iPad, no problem.

I did the upgrade to keep the forum running for us 25 people who use it.

I like keeping up this way, but if it doesn't work I'll shut it down because I dont know how to fix it without some help.

Joker is helping out where he can, but I know we are all having our issues and doing what we can...