06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm looking for feedback on clear bras.
For those of you that have one:
Are you happy with the way it looks?
Would you recommend them?
Do they yellow with age?

Joe G
06-09-2010, 05:02 PM
I've had one for 2 years now on my Black Vert - the Ventureshield brand like Grabber has.

No problems (crossing fingers).

I think the main source of issues/dissatisfaction comes from the installer and how good he is.

There were 2 main guys in town - one (more expensive) did a lot of work on high end cars (there was a 911 in the shop the same time as mine) and had been doing it for many years, the other (cheaper) had much less experience.

My guy had done at least 4 other GT500's that I knew of and said they were difficult - but not impossible - especially if you used the factory template that was available. He actually paid more to download a template from a different company (you download the template which then goes to the plotter that cuts out the pattern on the material) because it fit better - and installed easier.

I watched the entire install - it's a time consuming process. Lots of patience to get the compound curves just right so they lay correctly and don't have air bubbles. He never used a pin to "pop" the bubbles (he said that was the lazy azz way to do it) but would lift the area and work the bubble out the right way.

In the end, it fit perfect and to date I haven't had one issue. With the travel to the shows (SF, Orfstock etc) it's cheap insurance against the rock chips (and makes it easier to clean those d*mn bugs off too!).

I know you have/had one of the black bra's - I like those, but didn't want to keep it on all the time, so would have to take time to put it on and take it off. Then, that one time you didn't put it on is when you just know you'd get that rock chip... :banghead: ... for piece of mind and not having to futz around with the removable bra (:bunny:), the clearbra was right for me.

VaporDude
06-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I have to agree with Joe. I have had mine on for 2 years now and not a problem yet. It is a little more expensive but it is worth every penny spent. Just imagine if you have to get your front end painted every 3-4 years because of rock chips. One repaint would take care of the price of the Clear Bra. They are not supposed to yellow and you treat it just like you would the painted surfaces. You have to look close to see where it stops and starts. Just make sure they cut a small 1/8" inch out so the stripes lay flat. If they don't do this, water gets behind where the stripes and paint meet and the bra starts lifting up. Your installer should know all about that part.

hellfyr
06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I've had one on for about 4 years now... the car has had one for 3. No problems in either case.

Tommy Gun
06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm looking for feedback on clear bras.
For those of you that have one:
Are you happy with the way it looks?
Would you recommend them?
Do they yellow with age?

I like clear bras.

Orf
06-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I like clear bras.

Especially on the beach, right?

Tommy Gun
06-09-2010, 08:41 PM

This is a tech thread.

I was just agreeing w/ them. :innocent:

Orf
06-09-2010, 08:46 PM
This is a tech thread.

I was just agreeing w/ them. :innocent:

I know. I was referring to blowing sand damaging the paint...

Tommy Gun
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I know. I was referring to blowing sand damaging the paint...

Funny you say that.

I was at a dealership yesterday and for the second time at the same dealer a dust devil went through and threw up all kinds of junk on the cars.

I guess you never know when you might want the clear bra on your car. :doh2:

Stew
06-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Better than a wet t-shirt contest. :woohoo:

Gr8snkbite
06-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I've had one for 2 years now on my Black Vert - the Ventureshield brand like Grabber has.

I think the main source of issues/dissatisfaction comes from the installer and how good he is.

There were 2 main guys in town - one (more expensive) did a lot of work on high end cars (there was a 911 in the shop the same time as mine) and had been doing it for many years, the other (cheaper) had much less experience.

My guy had done at least 4 other GT500's that I knew of and said they were difficult - but not impossible - especially if you used the factory template that was available. He actually paid more to download a template from a different company (you download the template which then goes to the plotter that cuts out the pattern on the material) because it fit better - and installed easier.

I watched the entire install - it's a time consuming process. Lots of patience to get the compound curves just right so they lay correctly and don't have air bubbles. He never used a pin to "pop" the bubbles (he said that was the lazy azz way to do it) but would lift the area and work the bubble out the right way.

In the end, it fit perfect and to date I haven't had one issue. With the travel to the shows (SF, Orfstock etc) it's cheap insurance against the rock chips (and makes it easier to clean those d*mn bugs off too!).

I know you have/had one of the black bra's - I like those, but didn't want to keep it on all the time, so would have to take time to put it on and take it off. Then, that one time you didn't put it on is when you just know you'd get that rock chip... :banghead: ... for piece of mind and not having to futz around with the removable bra (:bunny:), the clearbra was right for me.

didnt even realize you had it on at SF....couldnt really tell...

Joe G
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
didnt even realize you had it on at SF....couldnt really tell...

Good. That's the point.

You see it if you're looking for it, but otherwise it does blend in pretty good.

Stew
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Good. That's the point.

You see it if you're looking for it, but otherwise it does blend in pretty good.

How did you find your installer?

Joe G
06-10-2010, 01:51 AM
How did you find your installer?

A few in my local SVT club had it done with him.

I got the discount he usually charges the dealer for it - it's amazing how much the dealerships mark up services they don't even do themselves! :yikes:

VaporDude
06-10-2010, 01:52 AM
A few in my local SVT club had it done with him.

I got the discount he usually charges the dealer for it - it's amazing how much the dealerships mark up services they don't even do themselves! :yikes:

Imagine that.........:doh2:

The Bone
06-10-2010, 03:42 AM
I have the strap on bra and love it. Goes on easy and comes off the same way.

Tommy Gun
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I have the strap on bra and love it. Goes on easy and comes off the same way.

:nonono:

The Bone
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
see

ati
06-10-2010, 04:25 PM

I agree,
The problem in my area is that no one that I know has had it done and I'm not going to be the guinea pig. If I could find a good recommend installer with in a reasonable distance I wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 hour drive to have it installed. What scares me is that I have seen more F/U installations than good installations.

Joe G
06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
see

Adding that black piece will make your car faster.

True story. :yes:

Joe G
06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree,
The problem in my area is that no one that I know has had it done and I'm not going to be the guinea pig. If I could find a good recommend installer with in a reasonable distance I wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 hour drive to have it installed. What scares me is that I have seen more F/U installations than good installations.

Drive to Minnesota Friday.

Stay the night at Casa G.

Have it installed by my guy Saturday morning. I'll buy lunch, then you're on your way home.

:yes:

ati
06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Drive to Minnesota Friday.

Stay the night at Casa G.

Have it installed by my guy Saturday morning. I'll buy lunch, then you're on your way home.

:yes:

Thats a possibility. You've made the drive, How long is it???

Joe G
06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Thats a possibility. You've made the drive, How long is it???

Depends on Chicago traffic of course, but 8 hours should be good.

rickf73
06-10-2010, 04:41 PM
see

Looks like a good fit, where did you get it. Might be a good idea to get one for trips.

ati
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Depends on Chicago traffic of course, but 8 hours should be good.

I don't have time before Orfstock but maybe some time in July. Will talk more at Orfstock. Ill just use my leather bra from Colgan for the Orfstock trip.

KC BadCat
06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Looks like a good fit, where did you get it. Might be a good idea to get one for trips.

...I'm gonna get one for my trip down to chef's thingy.......I have had a front bra before, on a toyota van, but I never took it off, and did find that over time accumulated grit on the rear of it did start scuffing the finish.....but we are talking years before any issues came up........I think as long as it fits well and is not on for extended periods, and you keep everything clean and a good coat on the paint...there should be no issues.......I suppose if there were some rub points develop...you could just stick on some of that blue painters tape at the rub point(s) prior to putting the bra on......hard to see a downside........John

rickf73
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I have some Road Wrap that I bought a few months ago I am going to use to go to Orfstock. It is kind of like saran wrap for the car. I will put it on the bumper and hood just to see how it works.
I was going to use it for Shelbyfest but it is about 15 in. wide. Just did not like the look of it wrapped across the front. I am going to cut it in the smaller widths so I can just cover what I want.

The Bone
06-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Colgan.com
I got leave it on the car all the time I also clean the back just so it doesnt scratch the finish. It is thicker than the clear bra so stuff just bounces off.
It was a little tricky to put on in the bigining. I was doing it wrong. Maybe I should do a install thread. With Pix of course

rickf73
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Colgan.com
I got leave it on the car all the time I also clean the back just so it doesnt scratch the finish. It is thicker than the clear bra so stuff just bounces off.
It was a little tricky to put on in the bigining. I was doing it wrong. Maybe I should do a install thread. With Pix of course

:tiphat:

I think I am going to order one to put on for trips. Front does take a beating on the Interstate. I have replaced my front bumper strips 3 times, that could have paid for the Bra.

ati
06-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I have some Road Wrap that I bought a few months ago I am going to use to go to Orfstock. It is kind of like saran wrap for the car. I will put it on the bumper and hood just to see how it works.
I was going to use it for Shelbyfest but it is about 15 in. wide. Just did not like the look of it wrapped across the front. I am going to cut it in the smaller widths so I can just cover what I want.

The road wrap has a tendency of coming loose and flapping while driving. It will leave marks in the clear coat if it flaps to long. I use it as a cushion under my colgan bra at the rub points.

Darkside
06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Any suggestions from the family on what to use on my flat black paint job. There is NO clearcoat on the car.

VaporDude
06-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Since there is no clear on your car, I would go with the Colgan Bra and use some extra padding (pardon the pun). The clear bra will make it shiney and even if they did have the dull finished ones, I would think you would be able to see it.

rickf73
06-11-2010, 03:34 PM
The road wrap has a tendency of coming loose and flapping while driving. It will leave marks in the clear coat if it flaps to long. I use it as a cushion under my colgan bra at the rub points.

Thanks for the info, I like the idea of putting it under the bra.

That is the reason I did not use it going to Shelbyfest. This time I am going to cut it into several widths and try to put it on carefully on some key area's. Just across the wide part of the bumper and bottom of the hood. I might even try it this weekend on a short trip to see if it works okay.

Joe G
06-11-2010, 03:36 PM

I think HSURB had that problem driving to Shelbyfest 2009.

But he's not really known as the most technical dufus, is he?? :tease2:

Darkside
06-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Have your Padawan learner use the force to block any projectile, bug or dirt particle from the back seat. It would be good training.

:starwars:

I would have thought of all people Joe, you would remember that there is no backseat in the Darkmobile. It is no longer a four man transport, it is now a two-seat fighter

Do I dare cultivate the Dark side potential on Momma D to assist in this endeavor?????

Johnny Dangerously
06-11-2010, 03:48 PM
...Do I dare cultivate the Dark side potential on Momma D to assist in this endeavor?????
Careful with that one. Women already have a plethora of dark powers. Best not add to our pain & suffering.

`

ati
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info, I like the idea of putting it under the bra.

That is the reason I did not use it going to Shelbyfest. This time I am going to cut it into several widths and try to put it on carefully on some key area's. Just across the wide part of the bumper and bottom of the hood. I might even try it this weekend on a short trip to see if it works okay.

I cut the 18'' roll in half, Its much easier to work with.

ati
06-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Since there is no clear on your car, I would go with the Colgan Bra and use some extra padding (pardon the pun). The clear bra will make it shiney and even if they did have the dull finished ones, I would think you would be able to see it.

Using the Roadwrap under the Colgan bra will keep it from polishing the flat paint.

Darkside
06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
The only issue with a Colgan Bra is that it will cover up my grtill mounted radar/laser detector system and additional fog lights.

ati
06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
The only issue with a Colgan Bra is that it will cover up my grtill mounted radar/laser detector system and additional fog lights.

The bra doesn't cover the grill.

Darkside
06-11-2010, 05:00 PM
The bra doesn't cover the grill.

Duh. I must be more tired than I thought after work last night. Anyone got a link for the bra???

ati
06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Duh. I must be more tired than I thought after work last night. Anyone got a link for the bra???

http://www.colgancustom.com/index.shtml

Darkside
06-11-2010, 05:11 PM
http://www.colgancustom.com/index.shtml

Thanks

ati
06-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks

Your Welcome!

Here is the link to Roadwrap if interested.
http://www.buyroadwrap.com/

Gr8snkbite
06-11-2010, 07:44 PM

exactly what i did when i tried it. smaller pieces are best and can form it better, and when you apply, start at the top and work down overlaping a bit. keeps the wind from pulling it up, and it will..

JTB
06-14-2010, 01:21 AM
If you get hit with a bad stone with a clear bra installed, does that mean you would have to replace the clear bra AND get the paint repaired?
How tough is this clear bra material?

I've seen a few of these clear bras and the install was spot on but I did not care for the visible line on the hood. JMO

Just haven't warmed up to the whole car bra thing.

OK with this kind though...:yes:

http://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/v280865_043.jpg

The Bone
06-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I only use mine while driving on the highway. At the show I take it off. I dont put it on if I just drive around town. I remove it when I put the car away.

rickf73
06-25-2010, 03:12 AM
I ordered my bra a couple weeks ago and it said it would take 4-6 weeks to ship. Got home last Friday and it had arrived after only a week. Was thrilled because I was going to have it for my trip to Orfstock, but we know how that turned out.

Haven't been able to try it on the car yet but I do have one question so far on the install. I noticed where it hooks around the wheel wells but the bottom is my question. Does the tabs slide between the lower bumper and the splitter? Noticed they were straight and not bent to hook under the splitter.

Also got the carbon fiber look instead of the black. Can't wait to see how it looks on the car.

KC BadCat
06-25-2010, 03:30 AM
I ordered my bra a couple weeks ago and it said it would take 4-6 weeks to ship. Got home last Friday and it had arrived after only a week. Was thrilled because I was going to have it for my trip to Orfstock, but we know how that turned out.

Haven't been able to try it on the car yet but I do have one question so far on the install. I noticed where it hooks around the wheel wells but the bottom is my question. Does the tabs slide between the lower bumper and the splitter? Noticed they were straight and not bent to hook under the splitter.

Also got the carbon fiber look instead of the black. Can't wait to see how it looks on the car.

........remember Rick.........photos are essential............John

The Bone
06-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Yes those tabs fit between the splitter and the lower grill Also there some tabs that fit behind the lights I will try to post a photo
See how you start at the top of the light ans slide them behind the plastic around the headlight. There are no instructions and I found this out from a friend.

rickf73
06-25-2010, 02:36 PM
:tiphat: