Page 1854 of 2213 FirstFirst ... 854135417541804184418521853185418551856186419041954 ... LastLast
Results 18,531 to 18,540 of 22122

Thread: What Did You Do Today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: What Did You Do Today

Camaro engine ...big fun factor in that! ;-)
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
    You need to get the feed-thru RJ-45 connectors. We have them at work. They are 1000% easier to use.

Attachment 24041
    I will look for those since I need refills
    Build Date: 09/26/06
    Delivered Date: 10/13/06
    709 out of 2694 Convertibles
    44 out of 151 Tungsten Grey Convertibles

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

"It is not about how much money you make. The question is are you educated enough to KEEP it."

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
    Camaro engine ...big fun factor in that! ;-)

For me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    For me.

...to put in the Mini?
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    I will look for those since I need refills
    If you can't find them, maybe we can work out some type of barter deal.

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

...to put in the Mini?

So I can drive it when Terry1234 invites me back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
    If you can't find them, maybe we can work out some type of barter deal.
    What is the difference for me between a Cat5 and a Cat6 connector for a home network?
    Build Date: 09/26/06
    Delivered Date: 10/13/06
    709 out of 2694 Convertibles
    44 out of 151 Tungsten Grey Convertibles

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

"It is not about how much money you make. The question is are you educated enough to KEEP it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cat 6/6a cable and individual wires likely will not easily fit (sometime can be 'forced') in the individual holes (a la Tek's earlier pic of the improved RJ-45) or the overall cable hole of a cat-5 RJ45. If using cat-6 cable you want to used cat 6 connectors. (Not that it matters much, but if you force cat-6 cable into cat-5 connectors it's a cat-5 installation.)

That said, for phone it hardly matters. Cat-5 is way more than adequate where quad twisted pair cable were originally spec'd (i.e. phone). When I wired the house 20 years ago I did all the data stuff as cat-5 (5e, as I recall) but did the phone system as standard twisted pair phone cable into duplex phone jacks in each wall box, wiring one pair to each of the two outlets and then mutually cross-wiring the other pair to the other jack so that not only are two lines available from every box but, using a specially wired cable, both lines are available from every jack without need of using a splitter. For phone, two-wire is all you'll likely need and I don't plan on ever having more than two land lines anyway (we've kept one for medical reasons b/c power goes out so frequently here).

If I had it to do it over I'd wire using all cat-6a (or whatever the latest cable and correctors are) just because it's not really more expensive and can't hurt to have latest-spec wiring, but it now seems unlikely that, long term, hardwired anything will be a consideration. Presently we no longer use any of the cat-5e data net and commercial router I installed 20 years ago (was a PITA to set-up but got it as a freebie from a friend who wires buildings) but our one remaining hard-wired phone line (which does have a half-dozen phones on it) is the only hard-wire survivor in the house ...on twisted pair -lol
    68fastback™ ;-)

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cat 6/6a cable and individual wires likely will not easily fit (sometime can be 'forced') in the individual holes (a la Tek's earlier pic of the improved RJ-45) or the overall cable hole of a cat-5 RJ45. If using cat-6 cable you want to used cat 6 connectors. (Not that it matters much, but if you force cat-6 cable into cat-5 connectors it's a cat-5 installation.)

That said, for phone it hardly matters. Cat-5 is way more than adequate where quad twisted pair cable were originally spec'd (i.e. phone). When I wired the house 20 years ago I did all the data stuff as cat-5 (5e, as I recall) but did the phone system as standard twisted pair phone cable into duplex phone jacks in each wall box, wiring one pair to each of the two outlets and then mutually cross-wiring the other pair to the other jack so that not only are two lines available from every box but, using a specially wired cable, both lines are available from every jack without need of using a splitter. For phone, two-wire is all you'll likely need and I don't plan on ever having more than two land lines anyway (we've kept one for medical reasons b/c power goes out so frequently here).

If I had it to do it over I'd wire using all cat-6a (or whatever the latest cable and correctors are) just because it's not really more expensive and can't hurt to have latest-spec wiring, but it now seems unlikely that, long term, hardwired anything will be a consideration. Presently we no longer use any of the cat-5e data net and commercial router I installed 20 years ago (was a PITA to set-up but got it as a freebie from a friend who wires buildings) but our one remaining hard-wired phone line (which does have a half-dozen phones on it) is the only hard-wire survivor in the house ...on twisted pair -lol
    Thanks Tek.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Actually he is right, Cat 6 connectors will work fine for Cat 5 cable, but you may have a difficult time with Cat 6 cable into Cat 5 connectors. If you can get Cat 6 cable at a comparable price to Cat 5 cable, go with the Cat 6 due to it's increase throughput, although Cat 6 connectors may be harder to find.

Page 1854 of 2213 FirstFirst ... 854135417541804184418521853185418551856186419041954 ... LastLast

Thread Information