Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't believe no one has posted here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can't believe no one has posted here

The Fox bodied Mustang is the car that brought us out of the dark ages of the no performance decade of the seventies.

Ford brought fun back with the 5.0 liter engine that continued to improve until the production of its last model in 1993 with the SVT Cobra. A super car in its day. While it produced only 245 hp it could still break into the 13's on a good day and that was stock.

The price for these cars was amazingly low, you could get a well equipped 5.0 LX for the 12ish range and they got pretty good mileage, about 25 on the highway.

Had this car not been the success it was, there would likely be no GT 500's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: I can't believe no one has posted here

Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    The Fox bodied Mustang is the car that brought us out of the dark ages of the no performance decade of the seventies.

Ford brought fun back with the 5.0 liter engine that continued to improve until the production of its last model in 1993 with the SVT Cobra. A super car in its day. While it produced only 245 hp it could still break into the 13's on a good day and that was stock.

The price for these cars was amazingly low, you could get a well equipped 5.0 LX for the 12ish range and they got pretty good mileage, about 25 on the highway.

i doubt that.....everything comes in time....
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again more intelligently....

Snoopys Owner
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...and they were light!
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you are right Nut...It certainly started a whole new era of Mustang performance and undoubtedly a new generation of Mustang enthusiasts . It wasn't however until Ford launched the new 2005 body style that brought back many of the original Mustang generation and the Shelby name back to the Mustang. That said the Fox body Mustang is still a favorite with those who grew up durring that time just as the 65-68's are with that generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My son, who is quite an enthusiast, started out driving a Fox bodied Mustang. The first one was well used 83 GT, 5.0 liter. Of course everything was nearly wore out and he and I spent alot of time together fixing and fixing. He learned a bunch on that car. Eventually he bought an 88 ex-Highway Patrol car, more money, more fixing and lots of improvements. The car would run 12's on a normally asperated FI 5.0.

At that same time, he wanted to go drag racing. Almost all of his buddies had 5.0's too. Since I was asked to join their little group, probably because I could usually tell them how to fix their cars, I ponied up for a 93 SVT Cobra. We went racing at the local track just about every weekend.

I guess the point kind of is that these cars were affordable for teens, not too hard to work on and we had a lot of fun.

Some of that same group continued in racing. Their current Fox bodied Mustang made it into the 7's a few weeks ago. Humungeous turbocharger, Windsor motor and all the cool stuff. I still still see these guys occasionally and we reminise about the early Fox days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My son, who is quite an enthusiast, started out driving a Fox bodied Mustang. The first one was well used 83 GT, 5.0 liter. Of course everything was nearly wore out and he and I spent alot of time together fixing and fixing. He learned a bunch on that car. Eventually he bought an 88 ex-Highway Patrol car, more money, more fixing and lots of improvements. The car would run 12's on a normally asperated FI 5.0.

At that same time, he wanted to go drag racing. Almost all of his buddies had 5.0's too. Since I was asked to join their little group, probably because I could usually tell them how to fix their cars, I ponied up for a 93 SVT Cobra. We went racing at the local track just about every weekend.

I guess the point kind of is that these cars were affordable for teens, not too hard to work on and we had a lot of fun.

Some of that same group continued in racing. Their current Fox bodied Mustang made it into the 7's a few weeks ago. Humungeous turbocharger, Windsor motor and all the cool stuff. I still still see these guys occasionally and we reminise about the early Fox days.
    Seeing as many teens texting while driving, I for one am happy that powerful cars are out of their price range.
    Stangs United: We Have More Horsepower Than You

It wasn't me. Ask the monkey.

- Anonymous -

“Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.”
    ― Ronald Reagan

Disclaimer: With all do respect, and I mean all due respect, you are an idiot.

Boston Mike ®

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

....very true!! ...fwiw, Sync(tm) is trying to help with that -- you can't do certain things like text while driving (have to stop), but can verbally command Sync to reply with one of a dozen 'canned' responses like: Driving now, will respond later. Of you can pull-over and then text via Sync or turn off the car and text via the cell ph. Of course, you can also un-Sync your phone, but that takes time and then you can't use Sync at all. This will save lots of young lives, imo ...at least I hope so.
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ford brought fun back with the 5.0 liter engine that continued to improve until the production of its last model in 1993 with the SVT Cobra.

The 5.0 definately got me going for the Mustang fever for sure,here's a pic of my old 5.0!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IF you can't hear my whine............................................y ou're behind!!

Pullied TVS,I.West 10%,L&M 72/plenum and port matched on blower,3:73 gears and a bit of exhaust!! she's quick,

http://www.facebook.com/BilletProShop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your right about the low cost to get into one of those being a factor but as the 05 and newer 4.6 GT's and even the new 5.0 becomes available as used car's the younger generation can still do the same thing, just harder for them to do with one off the showroom floor these days.

Thread Information