Thread: Ford Shelby GR-1...

Red is the fastest of all cars onecrazydog's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ford Shelby GR-1...

Ford Shelby GR-1 concept set for production 16 years after debut

The Ford Shelby GR-1 concept became something of an oddity back in 2005, yet over a decade later, it's now heading for production

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/n...ly-gr1-concept

27fcebb6d9d8b4503ac517cfa326e3f8b3147388.1200.featured.2sCZKjJY.jpg

https://www.superformance.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Ford Shelby GR-1...

Interesting:

”It's been a project I've been working on with Ford for about six years,” said Superformance’s CEO Lance Stander.
    ”We originally said we want to do the GR-1, and we spoke to everyone at Ford and they said it's never going to happen. Just forget about it.
    "We could have done a replica, we could have done a kit car, but that was never good enough for us. We had to get licensed by the original manufacturer, and it had to have all credibility.
    "So I just kept plodding along and eventually the stars aligned, the right people at Ford got to hear about it and...a couple of guys at who really wanted to see it happen at Ford Design in Europe, and the next thing I know is Ford Licensing is contacting me.”

Notice how spin-full -lol- and also how they positioned the bold statement ...as if they could have done it anyway but wanted original manufacturer licensing for credibility. I claim BS. This would not have been covered under the lawsuit grandfathering production of the GT40 and Shelby Cobras, so they HAD to have Ford in the boat, imho. And with recent federal law changes on low-volume manufacturing, it becomes a perfect project.

Imo, the GR-1 is one of the most beautiful concept cars ever made. Will be great to see it happen! Would be even better if Ford stepped-up and fully embraced it as a self-funding subcontract (somewhat akin to the new FGT) as a technology proving ground and to help stock the parts bin too, but alas, Ford still believes there is no way for a 2-seater to be financially self-sustaining -- maybe this will prove that wrong? Still the whole 2-seater aversion at Ford (which goes back over 50 years!) is fairly amusing if anyone has ever tried to actually sit in the back seat of a modern Mustang ...ah, yes, the children in the 2+2 families who also will never see the rear seat of a Mustang except to go get an ice-cream cone
    Last edited by 68fastback; 01-22-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: FGT=>GT40
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, AGAIN! .
    Veritas vos Luberabit
    (the truth will set you free)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
    Interesting:

"We could have done a replica, we could have done a kit car, but that was never good enough for us. We had to get licensed by the original manufacturer, and it had to have all credibility.
    This is true. Superformance could build them as a replica - they could have arranged with the owner of the real one and "spashed" it. Then they would have had to reverse engineer the frame and all of the rest of it. But they would not be able to do anything more than they do with the Cobras and all of their other replicas: that is, supply the body as a "roller" with the buyer finishing it with the power train.

But in order to get the full benefit of the new low volume manufacturer law the car has to be licensed from the original manufacturer. But if they license it they most likely got everything, including engineering drawings, CAD models, everything they need to fully manufacture it for real. As such they are allowed to supply a completed car with a full VIN, and manufacture (numbers vary) up to 325 per year. The catch is they have to use an emissions compliant power train, which Ford does not yet currently have. Right now the only US manufacturer that has a compliant engine is GM (LS3?) . Ford has held off submitting something (suspected to be the Coyote) until the law is passed. If they do it now from the sound of it it will be the Coyote used in the GT500.
    Cheers.
    Tony

Nothing here yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I agree on all re the car.

Not sure I understand the powertrain issue. You can buy complete powertrains (e.g the MGT's 460H Coyote) from Ford Performance complete with PCM, programming and accelerator pedal -- for retrofit in street rods, etc. Maybe it's simply that it's never been cert'd for this non-OEM purpose?
    68fastback™ ;-)

“When you tear out a man’s tongue you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say” -- George R. R. Martin

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 68fastback View Post
    Yeah, I agree on all re the car.

Not sure I understand the powertrain issue. You can buy complete powertrains (e.g the MGT's 460H Coyote) from Ford Performance complete with PCM, programming and accelerator pedal -- for retrofit in street rods, etc. Maybe it's simply that it's never been cert'd for this non-OEM purpose?
    That is correct.

Superformance could have built a kit car long ago. They don't want to build a kit car. They want to build a completed vehicle with power train. If that law ever gets through these cars wil lhave full 17-digit US VIN - emissions compliance, and everything else a new car has and kit cars don't. I asked Lance at BJ Vegas if they would do completed Cobras and they had no interest. The market is too established and 99% of the owners want an original era power train which does not qualify for the new rules. They can and do build their Cobra kits to accept a Coyote engine but have no interest in pursuing the compliance certification to the new rules since they didn't think they'd ever build enough to justify it. The GR-1 on the other hand is new territory. If I could see well enough I'd consider one.
    Cheers.
    Tony

Nothing here yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, yeah ...and I guess there may be a lot of other components in modern systems that would have to be part of a cert depending on how the law was/will be written: e.g. fuel system purge valves/plumbing, specific PCV valve (not in the kits), possibly full PCM an trans (vs just ECM), etc. ...possibly even OE pumps -- who knows?
    68fastback™ ;-)

Veritas vos Luberabit

Thread Information